LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 192 users in the forums

Bills targeting QB Alex Smith?

Shop 49ers game tickets
I'm a bit confused, why would a team spend a draft pick on Alex when they know the 49ers will cut him. The Niners won't pick up his option and teams can deal directly with him.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
I'm a bit confused, why would a team spend a draft pick on Alex when they know the 49ers will cut him. The Niners won't pick up his option and teams can deal directly with him.

They would be securing a QB they are interested in for a decent price instead of getting into a potential bidding war with other teams for his services. He has a very friendly contract for a starting QB.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
Bills can trade for him or they can try to land him via FA...hahaha I couldn't keep it in anymore.

Who am I kidding...nobody wants to go to Buffalo voluntarily without a boat load of cash.

Might be able to play hardball and get a higher pick from them...they even get to keep his bargain contract!

Alex Smith
49ers 1st round pick
49ers 3rd round pick
49ers 6th round pick

Buffalo 1st round pick
Buffalo 3rd round pick

Make it happen.

This. Also, the Bills are a team that we won't play for another 4 years, so we won't give the media any story lines.
as long as he doesn't go to Seattle or ARZ and spill beans, I'll be happy for him.

He can wipe his tears with his millions doe.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
as long as he doesn't go to Seattle or ARZ and spill beans, I'll be happy for him.

He can wipe his tears with his millions doe.

Which is why the Bills are perfect. KC too, but I doubt they would be willing to give up that 1st pick.
I'm thinking Alex Smith in return for a 3rd and 6th or 7th round pick.
[ Edited by PTulini on Jan 3, 2013 at 10:37 PM ]
Originally posted by fister30:
Awkward moment when ESPN says Bills, Cards and Eagles are trying to get McCoy. I wouldn't mind if Alex stayed another year. If nobody trades for him I wouldn't do anybody a favor by cutting him. Somebody will give something for him, he can start for several teams in the NFL.

Mike McCoy the coach or Colt McCoy the QB?
Originally posted by pahlerbj:
Originally posted by PTulini:
I'm thinking Alex Smith in return for a 3rd and 6th or 7th round pick.

so something is better than nothing

Yeah at best you MAYBE get a 2nd, but most likely a 3rd rounder and change.
Trade him to the chiefs for dwayne bowe
What will they give up for him?

LOLz at sus.

It's not like the dude played college football in Utah or anything
Alex would have been great for the Bills this season. They were tied for first after the first 8 game of the season before Fitzpatrick averaged about 17 interceptions per game. Alex would have at least stabilized things. There's a lot of talent on that Bills team. Great running backs, speed at receiver and a few studs on defense. Mistake free offense could have at least kept them competitive in a week ass conference.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Didn't the Bills pay Fitz around $50 million/5 years? This is for a dude that is sub par and never made the playoffs...

Doing the math, they should offer Alex $100 million/5 years & give us their #1 pick on top of it...
Alex is a perfect placeholder type guy. I don't see teams giving up much for though considering there is almost no chance the 9ers will keep him. Don't sleep on Matt Hasselbeck being our backup next year. 9ers were interested in him after the the lockout. He might be a good backup option next season if available.
I think we should be happy with whatever we get for Alex (which I imagine will be a 3rd or 4th rounder, barring us getting creative with the trade and doing something like swapping 1st rounders). We clear a lot of cap room and get something back for him instead of just cutting him. With all the picks we have next year (I think 13?), getting another pick would only make it easier for us to package a lot of the lower round picks with one of our higher round picks to trade up in that same round. It doesn't make sense for us to draft 13-14 players seeing as how all of our rookies barely played this season.
[ Edited by EezyNiner on Jan 4, 2013 at 6:20 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone