There are 284 users in the forums

Griffin or Kaepernick?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Griffin or Kaepernick?

I don't think there's a qb in the NFL that I'd take over Kaep right now. The only two guys I'd consider are in their golden years and probably don't have much in their tank.
[ Edited by Jakemall on Sep 10, 2013 at 9:20 AM ]
Anything RG3 can do Kaep can do better. RG3 is off to a bad start with injuries, he looks fragile. Kaep is all legs and elbows and it's tough to get a good hit on him.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Kap - I think he plays smarter, not taking unnecessary risks running when he doesn't have to.

I see Kap not even close to his potential.

Both are quality people and I guess we're splitting hairs.

THIS! Watching RGIII, as talented as he is, is a ticking time-bomb. He gets hit a lot, at one point, by his own teammate... on the SIDELINE!

It was hysterical watching him roll out to avoid a hit, only to get popped by a teammate simply standing there on the sideline. He seems so accident prone.
Originally posted by vrabbit:
RG3: 24 total TD, 6 total turnovers, 2902 passing yards, 748 rushing yards in 13 games

Kap (as a starter): 9 total TD, 3 total turnovers, 1088 passing yards, 202 rushing yards in 5 games --> projected over 13 games: 23 total TD, 8 turnovers, 2829 passing yards, 525 rushing yards

and that's ASSUMING, for your convenience, that his projected numbers don't take a hit.

RG3 was the superior prospect coming in, and he's been just about everything he was hyped up to be. I ain't knocking Kap at all, I'm excited for him, but I'd take RG3 over him
Projections dont mean squat.. NFL is all about durability, you can have all the talent in the world... but if you cant make it on the field then you are nothing! It appears RG3 is will always have durability issues, he's one hit away from being off the field again. You could see in the game yesterday, that he was not stepping into his throws and he will never be the same runner he was before his injury last season.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
RGIII is already damaged goods with that knee injury.

And Kap is a better passer, with a stronger arm. It's a no brainer that Kap is better.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
RG3, my god this board has lost all objectivity whatsoever

Why? Kaep has all the measurables Griffin has, while beating him soundly in the mental department (if you put any stock in Wonderlic scores). We don't have the benefit of watching Kaep play like this for a full season, but if his first five games were projected onto an entire season, there's no way you'd be complaining for objectivity.

RG3: 24 total TD, 6 total turnovers, 2902 passing yards, 748 rushing yards in 13 games

Kap (as a starter): 9 total TD, 3 total turnovers, 1088 passing yards, 202 rushing yards in 5 games --> projected over 13 games: 23 total TD, 8 turnovers, 2829 passing yards, 525 rushing yards

and that's ASSUMING, for your convenience, that his projected numbers don't take a hit.

RG3 was the superior prospect coming in, and he's been just about everything he was hyped up to be. I ain't knocking Kap at all, I'm excited for him, but I'd take RG3 over him

And you are assuming his projected numbers don't improve. Those numbers are very comparable and Kaep is only going to get better. Remember, these are his first five starts and he dropped in the draft because he was a "project". Kaep has the higher ceiling because of his similar measurables and edge in the mental department. So no, it's not a "my god" you people are crazy, decision to want Kaep over RGIII.

and RG3's numbers, by the same account, also won't improve? I'm sorry, when was it determined Kap has an "edge in the mental department"? Where does that even come from? Enough with silliness

RGIIIs numbers have already improved since his first five games. It's convenient for you to project Kaep's first five games and compare them to a guy who has had the benefit of improving over the course of a season.. Still, the numbers aren't far off, in fact, they're very similar. So no, again, I don't get why people are so out of touch in reality to pick Kaep ahead of RGIII. Furthermore, the edge in the mental department comes from Kaep's score of 38 in the Wonderlic and RGIII's score of 24. Of course, that is just one barometer of aptitude and it certainly does not test football IQ, thus the discrepencies from players who score well and do poorly (and vice versa), but it is far from irrelevant. Kaep is a very intelligent guy, moreso than guys like RGIII and Cam Newton, and this test reflects that.

Also, maybe you can try to be a little less condescending. Kthanx.

convenient for me to project Kap's numbers huh? Go on, Amp

I can't believe you actually tried to use the Wonderlic in your argument, and stuck to your statement about Kap being more intelligent than RG3 with no basis whatsoever

LMFAO. Care to retract?

About what? Taking RG3 over Kaep? Ok.

But folks really want to pile it up RG3 like he's some kind of bum. He's still going to be a bona fide star in this league and his struggles last night have done nothing to change my mind about that. He'll learn from taking too many hits last year and take better care of himself, he played much better yesterday in the second half and more importantly gave a grown man's interview after the game, making no excuses and taking full accountability. He's a great leader. This was his first game coming back from a torn ACL and obviously pushing himself to be out there in week 1.

My beef with this whole thread isn't about who's better, it's about the idea that this comparison isn't even close. It's very good timing to be coming back to this after last night's game.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

But folks really want to pile it up RG3 like he's some kind of bum. He's still going to be a bona fide star in this league and his struggles last night have done nothing to change my mind about that. He'll learn from taking too many hits last year and take better care of himself, he played much better yesterday in the second half and more importantly gave a grown man's interview after the game, making no excuses and taking full accountability. He's a great leader. This was his first game coming back from a torn ACL and obviously pushing himself to be out there in week 1.

My beef with this whole thread isn't about who's better, it's about the idea that this comparison isn't even close. It's very good timing to be coming back to this after last night's game.

Based on what? He has never done that his entire career. It is instinct for him when he runs. You just don't change that. Look at Vick every year was supposed to be his year to "get it" and he never has changed his style.

Thread title: Griffin or Kaepernick?

Your first post:

Originally posted by Jcool:

Based on what? He has never done that his entire career. It is instinct for him when he runs. You just don't change that. Look at Vick every year was supposed to be his year to "get it" and he never has changed his style.

you don't change that? really? Aren't we seeing it with our own team in Kaepernick? He's clearly been instructed to avoid big hits and he's sliding and going out of bounds pretty much every time. You even saw RG3 have much better discipline with this last night, although obviously he's being extra careful in his first action coming back from the injury.
Originally posted by Redeemer:

Thread title: Griffin or Kaepernick?

Your first post:

contents within the thread, not the thread title. Stop reaching for what isn't there.

vrabbit, just you blew a hole in this thread that's too deep to climb out of!
Originally posted by verb1der:

• Jcool
  • Veteran

you don't change that? really? Aren't we seeing it with our own team in Kaepernick? He's clearly been instructed to avoid big hits and he's sliding and going out of bounds pretty much every time. You even saw RG3 have much better discipline with this last night, although obviously he's being extra careful in his first action coming back from the injury.

Kaep never ran recklessly. He was coached since his freshman year to protect himself, it is built into him to avoid the hits. A player like Vick or RG3 were never taught that and don't have the instinct to protect themselves. They try to get all the yards they can, Kaep will run out of bounds.
Originally posted by verb1der:

LOL

Kaep never ran recklessly. He was coached since his freshman year to protect himself, it is built into him to avoid the hits. A player like Vick or RG3 were never taught that and don't have the instinct to protect themselves. They try to get all the yards they can, Kaep will run out of bounds.

I'm not saying Kaep ever did ran recklessly, but obviously he is being coached to be even more careful nowadays. RG3's maturity at his age is much better than Vick's 10 years ago - would we agree there?

I don't think you can really link the two of them in this regard without taking into consideration RG3's mindset and leadership qualities, which is why I believe he'll take better care of himself.
Share 49ersWebzone