LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

Scot McCloughan

Shop 49ers game tickets
Interestingly, Scot is quoted as saying this in March, 2010: "It was a great run; Players I brought in will win division for next couple of years." to Tim Kawakami, here.

McCloughan ran the team's drafts from 2005 to 2009 (fired March 18, 2010, before the 2010 draft, perhaps he gets some credit/blame for 2010 picks?, but only 2005 - 2009 are listed below.)

1 Michael Crabtree WR
7 Ricky Jean-Francois DT

2008 (pretty f'in pathetic draft)
7 Larry Grant OLB

2007 (damn good draft)
1 Patrick Willis ILB
1 Joe Staley OT
3 Ray McDonald DT
4 Dashon Goldson FS
5 Tarell Brown CB

1 Vernon Davis TE
5 Parys Haralson DE
6 Delanie Walker WR

1 Alex Smith QB
3 Frank Gore RB
[ Edited by Lobo49er on Oct 11, 2012 at 3:49 PM ]
^Nolan had control of player personnel until 2008
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
^Nolan had control of player personnel until 2008

Nolan never gets enough credit for building this team the man flew around with Justin smith in a helicopter for peet's sake.He just had too much on his hands look at every defense he coached since he left.
Because he sucked.
When Nolan had to relinquish his personnel control McCloughan drafted guys like Balmer, Rachal, Wallace, Nate Davis, and Glen Coffee. Then he signed Brandon Jones.
he was licking my a*****e.
McCloughan is the single person responsible for us having Willis. He literally stood up to stop everybody trying to figure out who we were taking on draft day to say we were talking Willis with our first pick, and that was that.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
McCloughan is the single person responsible for us having Willis. He literally stood up to stop everybody trying to figure out who we were taking on draft day to say we were talking Willis with our first pick, and that was that.

That was Nolan who did that.
Originally posted by btthepunk:

no it wasnt Nolan. It was Sing.

Just Kidding, , Stoneys right
Originally posted by SFL49ER:

Naw, it was Nolan. I cant find any articles about it but it was well documented back then. McCloughan and Sing didnt want Willis, I believe they wanted Carriker or Bowe.
Nolan fell in love with Willis at the Senior Bowl.
[ Edited by btthepunk on Oct 12, 2012 at 5:11 PM ]
Originally posted by SFL49ER:

Naw, it was Nolan. I cant find any articles about it but it was well documented back then. McCloughan and Sing didnt want Willis, I believe they wanted Carriker or Bowe.
Nolan fell in love with Willis at the Senior Bowl.

No, it was McCloughan that did it. It was Nolan and Sing shuffling around trying to figure out who they wanted and Scot made it clear we were taking Willis. I remember it clearly.

Here's a link to the story: Link to story

Quote:
Even with the many of the same players Harbaugh has that Singletary had last season does not mean he deserves credit. It was not Singletary that drafted Mike Iupati, Anthony Davis, NaVarro Bowman and Aldon Smith, but Baalke did. In fact the few times Singletary had offered his advice on draft picks were not very good. In 2007 when Singletary was the assistant head coach/linebackers coach he admitted he was disappointed in watching film of Patrick Willis but then GM Scot McCloughan insisted on drafting him.
[ Edited by StOnEy333 on Oct 12, 2012 at 6:32 PM ]

He's a solid talent scout. Not GM or VP of player personnel material though.
Even if Gire??
Wasn't he having an affair with an employee or some s**t, plus being drunk on occasions?

I dont buy it was because Parag Marathe wanted more power, then why promote Baalke to GM?
Nolan and Sing did not want Willis. They thought Willis was undersized and weak for an inside linebacker. They wanted Adam Carriker. Scotty MC stood on the table in the draft war room throwing his reputation on for for Willis. Basically threw a fit to get the guy. but he was 100 but he was 100 percent accurate on Willis.
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
Interestingly, Scot is quoted as saying this in March, 2010: "It was a great run; Players I brought in will win division for next couple of years." to Tim Kawakami, here.

McCloughan ran the team's drafts from 2005 to 2009 (fired March 18, 2010, before the 2010 draft, perhaps he gets some credit/blame for 2010 picks?, but only 2005 - 2009 are listed below.)

1 Michael Crabtree WR
7 Ricky Jean-Francois DT

2008 (pretty f'in pathetic draft)
7 Larry Grant OLB

2007 (damn good draft)
1 Patrick Willis ILB
1 Joe Staley OT
3 Ray McDonald DT
4 Dashon Goldson FS
5 Tarell Brown CB

1 Vernon Davis TE
5 Parys Haralson DE
6 Delanie Walker WR

1 Alex Smith QB
3 Frank Gore RB

Of those remaining, the ones who are impact players are Vernon, Gore, Alex you could say, Willis, McDonald, Staley, Goldson, Brown and Crabtree. The rest were ok picks. Other picks were crap, he couldn't draft for the life of him. 2008 was disaster. Only 1 pick left, and he was originally cut by you, so much for being an genius we all thought he would be.

Nolan gets credit for Justin Smith signing, but reality is we have a new turnover on the roster, thanks to Harbaugh and Baalke. They got Rogers, Akers, Whitner, Goodwin, Aldon, Cully, Kaep, Hunter, Miller, Kilgore, Jenkins, Looney, James, Robinson, Baalke got A.Davis, Iupati, Bowman, Dixon and Willams after McCluless was canned. He also got it right on Brooks, extended him wisely.

So outside of the star in Willis and Gore, and Vernon now, I dont give the old regime much credit. Most of our picks were playing like crap, even Vernon because of attitude issue, and bad schemes for guys like Goldson, McDonald, Crabtree and Staley were underperforming.
Share 49ersWebzone