There are 146 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Crazy/not so crazy idea for NFL Expansion

A friend and I were talking...

The 8 divisions x 4 represents a perfectly symmetrical conference breakdown.

If league is to expand, how about 8 new expansion teams? But where would they come from?

We think before London or Europe, bring in Canadian teams. Already a sport there (with slightly different rules), and not terribly far away either.

Vancouver
Montreal
Toronto
Edmonton

Can't think of more. We can add a team or two in LA, maybe resurrect Rams in LA and rename the st. Louis team.

Since we already have such a marriage in MLB and NHL, might as well bring Canada into the NFL. I guess CFL won't like it much, but oh well.
Now is not the time to expand. Not when the Jaguars, Chargers, Vikings, Raiders, and Buccaneers can't manage to sell out home games.

I'm all for re-locating teams and re-aligning the divisions though.
Not enough top talent to go around for 8 more teams.

And screw Canada
san francisco could use a team in a couple years

Who knows? Too many new teams at one time. Maybe one in Canada and one in LA.

Last time LA had it's own team the fans didn't support it which is why Al Davis moved back to Oakland.

I think one in Canada would sell out every game.
League is perfect size now. Anymore teams and the talent is too watered down.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Not enough top talent to go around for 8 more teams.

And screw Canada

I agree, there is already parity in the league.
Originally posted by ads_2006:
san francisco could use a team in a couple years

Originally posted by zillabeast:
Now is not the time to expand. Not when the Jaguars, Chargers, Vikings, Raiders, and Buccaneers can't manage to sell out home games.

I'm all for re-locating teams and re-aligning the divisions though.

This
I live in Toronto, and we already kinda sorta have the Bills.

Personally as giant a 49ers and NFL fan as I am, I want to keep the CFL as our different Canadian game and watch the NFL on TV with the occasional road trip.

Bringing NFL teams to Canada would be great in Vancouver and Toronto, but the rest of the country with small markets would get wiped out.
No need to expand when multiple teams are not selling out games. 32 teams is the perfect amount. Why mess with something that works?
Omaha Nighthawks
San Antonio Vandals
Las Vegas Posse
Los Angeles Express
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bigmur49:
I live in Toronto, and we already kinda sorta have the Bills.

Personally as giant a 49ers and NFL fan as I am, I want to keep the CFL as our different Canadian game and watch the NFL on TV with the occasional road trip.

Bringing NFL teams to Canada would be great in Vancouver and Toronto, but the rest of the country with small markets would get wiped out.

I'm in Toronto also, you're absolutely right. There are only 4 cities in Canada with 1M+ people in it's total population, so just based on math alone it wouldn't work in the smaller cities. Montreal would be interesting though, the level of competition/support in Quebec for football is the best in the nation.
32 team league is PERFECT. don't fix it if it ain't broken
  • Chico
  • Veteran
The "Juarez Cartel's"