There are 115 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

*** WEEK 3 NFL GAMEDAY THREAD 9/20 - 9/24 ***

Originally posted by schmons:
you cant interpret the rules as who had more possession of the ball or who had possession first. based on rules, the officials did the right thing. call me crazy. officials waited until the play was finished before making a ruling much like they do after a fumble skirmish. Golden Tate and Jennings both had their hands on the ball no matter how much more Jennings had possession of it - tie goes to offense. They reviewed it, couldn't review the part in question. Call was made, game over.
No matter how much I saw Jennings make that interception at first, the play needs to finish itself out. It's kind of like the Calvin Johnson play from last year in my eyes.

What?? lol

Jennings clearly had possession of the ball, Tate just had his left arm stuck in there, that doesn't equal simultaneous possession lol

I guess according to you and seahawk fans,95% of the public is wrong

The play is nothing like the Calvin Johnson play, if anything, it's like the play Patrick Willis had on Brandon Pettigrew last year. Pettigrew had possession and Willis had his left or right arm stuck in between. That is NOT simultaneous possession.
[ Edited by DonnieDarko on Sep 25, 2012 at 7:44 AM ]
The refs missed the call, but I think people are forgetting how abominable the regular refs have been the past few years. Suddenly, the regular guys are geniuses. I don't buy it.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The refs missed the call, but I think people are forgetting how abominable the regular refs have been the past few years. Suddenly, the regular guys are geniuses. I don't buy it.

These guys don't even know the basic rules. Big difference.
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
you cant interpret the rules as who had more possession of the ball or who had possession first. based on rules, the officials did the right thing. call me crazy. officials waited until the play was finished before making a ruling much like they do after a fumble skirmish. Golden Tate and Jennings both had their hands on the ball no matter how much more Jennings had possession of it - tie goes to offense. They reviewed it, couldn't review the part in question. Call was made, game over.
No matter how much I saw Jennings make that interception at first, the play needs to finish itself out. It's kind of like the Calvin Johnson play from last year in my eyes.

Here's the rule in the NFL rule book word for word:

"If a pass is caught simultaneously by two eligible opponents, and both retain it, the ball belongs to the passers. It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an opponent subsequently gains joint control."

So to be blunt and rash, you are absolutely wrong. Right in the playbooks it says that whoever has control FIRST retains possession of the ball. So stop trying to argue a losing battle. You're wrong. Jennings came down with the ball and Tate eventually got joint possession of it.

i see where you're getting at but the big issue here is does this rule apply in the air or when the catch is official (ie possession and 2 feet on the ground). I think this rule was written for the case when the catch is made with both feet on the ground while Jennings was in the air for awhile and then he came down with 1 foot and the second foot does not hit for awhile. I don't think they ever took this situation in to account. I compared it to the calvin johnson catch based on how you want to interpret the rules.

watch the replay and you'll see as Jennings has 1 feet on the ground, Tate pulls the ball towards his body as his butt hits the ground and that can be seen as possession. he had at least 1 hand on the ball the whole time. you arent award possession in the air - never have, never will.
[ Edited by schmons on Sep 25, 2012 at 8:26 AM ]

"If a pass is caught simultaneously by two eligible opponents, and both retain it, the ball belongs to the passers. It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an opponent subsequently gains joint control."

So to be blunt and rash, you are absolutely wrong. Right in the playbooks it says that whoever has control FIRST retains possession of the ball. So stop trying to argue a losing battle. You're wrong. Jennings came down with the ball and Tate eventually got joint possession of it.

i see where you're getting at but the big issue here is does this rule apply in the air or when the catch is official (ie possession and 2 feet on the ground). I think this rule was written for the case when the catch is made with both feet on the ground while Jennings was in the air for awhile and then he came down with 1 foot and the second foot does not hit for awhile. I don't think they ever took this situation in to account. I compared it to the calvin johnson catch based on how you want to interpret the rules.

watch the replay and you'll see as Jennings has 1 feet on the ground, Tate pulls the ball towards his body as his butt hits the ground and that can be seen as possession. he had at least 1 hand on the ball the whole time. you arent award possession in the air - never have, never will.

Both of Jennings feet hit the ground after he caught the ball. He demonstrate control and possession while in the air and going to the ground. If Tate had control of the ball with 1 hand than he's a dumba** to let Jennings gather it to his chest. In other words Tate did not have control of the ball. Had a hand on it but not control
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 25, 2012 at 8:59 AM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Both of Jennings feet hit the ground after he caught the ball. He demonstrate control and possession while in the air and going to the ground.
supposedly there is also video of tate taking his hands off the ball completely then putting his hands back on the ball.
you cant even see the ball in that gif when his feet hit the ground. look at the video from the other angle and it looks completely differently
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

I actually agree with this. Remember Calvin Johnson's TD that was called back? If that same play had happened in this game, on this stage. People would be making a massive deal about it just like they are with this play. That being said, it wasn't the only glaring miss the refs made on this night. While our regular guys are pretty terrible, these knuckleheads are s**t stains on the regular ref's trousers.

Also interesting to note. My cousin was at this game and he claims that not one replay of the touchdown was played on the jumbotron. It sounds like even the guys running the show there knew it was b******t.

[ Edited by schmons on Sep 25, 2012 at 9:13 AM ]
you cant even see the ball in that gif when his feet hit the ground. look at the video from the other angle and it looks completely differently

I have seen the front angle on that. Jennings caught the ball with one of Tate's hand on it and pulled everything to his chest like he should. Then he falls with his feet hitting the ground.

Yeah, really good angle on the ball there.
Some thoughts....
1) Clearly an interception and anyone thinking that this was a simultaneous catch is nuts. Pictures don't lie
2) The ref who called the TD clearly did not have the best look. The back judge who really had the only good look called it an interception.

3) and most important... the real failure was by the NFL replay officials who could have easily overturned the call and done the right thing. Anyone could see
that the official making the TD call was out of position and that the proper call was an interception. Still can't believe this call was not overturned.

I have seen the front angle on that. Jennings caught the ball with one of Tate's hand on it and pulled everything to his chest like he should. Then he falls with his feet hitting the ground.

he should have knocked the freaking ball away

thats 2nd screen shot says it all. Jennings has it on his chest and tate has one arm on it. That never changes ever when they hit the ground, You cant rule that Tate is also in possession of that ball

he should have knocked the freaking ball away

That's what I'm thinking too. But the Lions proved that don't always work either