LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 166 users in the forums

*** WEEK 3 NFL GAMEDAY THREAD 9/20 - 9/24 ***

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Because watching the video I see tates left hand in the mix for the ball before Jennings ever brings it to his chest.

And I have seen way too many clean smooth 1 handed catches to say there is no chance tate caught that ball at the same time Jennings did.

For arguments sake...

Ornot for tates hand the ballhitsjennings in the sack and falls incomplete. Without bankings arms there tate secures it and brings it down.

Watching the video I don't see Tate's left hand in the mix initially. Jennings had the ball in his possession before Tate was in the mix for the ball. Lets not forget that not only this, but Tate also CLEARLY SHOVED James Shields out of the way prior to the ball getting there. I don't even see how Tate has even an outside shot at an argument for the ball if he doesn't push Shields which is clearly against the rules and Offensive Pass Interference.

I don't get your stance as to why this isn't that bad of a call. It's god damn awful.
On my phone so some of these are difficult to quote and cut.

Your last sentence
"Clearly NOT simultaneous possession"

This is what I am arguing. I cannot say that. I see tates left hand in the mix I see they both touch the ball and very close to the same time. 3 hands on the ball and I see a bunch of receivers make that catch without ever needing the 2nd hand.

I see your point but touching a ball and having possession of it are two different things.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Watching the video I don't see Tate's left hand in the mix initially. Jennings had the ball in his possession before Tate was in the mix for the ball. Lets not forget that not only this, but Tate also CLEARLY SHOVED James Shields out of the way prior to the ball getting there. I don't even see how Tate has even an outside shot at an argument for the ball if he doesn't push Shields which is clearly against the rules and Offensive Pass Interference.

I don't get your stance as to why this isn't that bad of a call. It's god damn awful.
How many times have you ever seen any PI called on hail maths?
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

Your last sentence

This is what I am arguing. I cannot say that. I see tates left hand in the mix I see they both touch the ball and very close to the same time. 3 hands on the ball and I see a bunch of receivers make that catch without ever needing the 2nd hand.

In the picture Dr Bill Walsh just posted I don't see where Tate's left hand could have been in order to have ever had clear possession of the ball, when the catch was made and during the fall to the ground.
NFL Network:

(i don't know that woman's name): "Here's the play everyone's talking about, if you haven't seen it, i don't know how you missed it...."

Heath Evans: "well the refs certainly did."
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Here is the rule:

Simultaneous Catch. If a pass is caught simultaneous by two eligible opponents, and both players retain it, the ball belongs to the passers. It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an opponent subsequently gains control.

Jenning clearly gained control first (caught the ball with both hands in the ai) and Tate had subsequent control on the grown. So it should be ruled an INT because it's clearly NOT a simultaneous catch as defined by the rules.

Your last sentence

I understand what you are saying. There are 3 hands on the ball in the picture. Possession is still more on Jennings because he had both hands on the ball with total control going to the ground. If having a hand on the ball is enough to be deemed possession than we would have to review all close contact catches as simultaneous catches. That's crazy.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

How many times have you ever seen any PI called on hail maths?

1. How many times has it been that blatantly clear that a defender was shoved?
2. That was just a side argument on top of the one that I still don't see any clear evidence that Tate could have ever claimed to have had possession of the ball. Left hand in the mix? So now that counts as possession of the ball? Interesting.
Also I have said it was the wrong call. But I have seen worse.

I never thought I'd ever be in a position in which I am defending the Packers. Still pissed.
This is becoming one of the darkest moments in American history.
^^^^^^^^^ in 30 years this will be where were you when "it" happened

lol
In the picture Dr Bill Walsh just posted I don't see where Tate's left hand could have been in order to have ever had clear possession of the ball, when the catch was made and during the fall to the ground.

That picture is long after they had been having a tug of war for it.
Also I have said it was the wrong call. But I have seen worse.

whats been worse?
Share 49ersWebzone