LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 135 users in the forums

Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. says Russell Wilson better than our boy Alex

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
I believe it dont surpirse me SAD but it dont surprise me one bit........some guys where born to be franchise QB's while other hang from a thread through their career getting chance after chance after chance to become WHAT? A average QB

This unfortunatley, if youve watched russell wilson at all this preseason, you've seen that dude can play. We're just not used to qb's stepping in and owning the position right away, doesnt mean that it dont happen that way for other franchises. He might not be better than Alex right now but he certainly has more confidence.
I believe it dont surpirse me SAD but it dont surprise me one bit........some guys where born to be franchise QB's while other hang from a thread through their career getting chance after chance after chance to become WHAT? A average QB

I think I would like to see the guy play, oh, at least perhaps one NFL game before I nominate him a franchise qb and elect him to Canton.
Originally posted by English:
I think I would like to see the guy play, oh, at least perhaps one NFL game before I nominate him a franchise qb and elect him to Canton.

Why does it seem like everybody completely over looks that?
Read that LSU quarterback Zach Mettenberger has been looking sharp in camp. He's gotta be better than Alex Smiff. Gonna make a new thread right here and now on it.

Makes you wonder why all these coaches kept given the dude all these chances. Unbelievable...
  • Jiks
I'll bet anyone in this thread $100 that Alex will have a better year barring injury. Serious bet...
Everyone overreacts during preseason!

I will be the first to say that Wilson has looked like the best QB in the division during the preseason, but until the games actually count, I have to reserve judgment. He has looked very unflappable and confident for a rookie, but so has Tannehill and Nick Foles, both of which will most likely struggle in this league.

Now guys like Andrew Luck and RGIII will dominate in the future. Both will probably have bad years, due to bad teams. But you see the skills for both of them. They are the franchises. Seattle is looking more and more like they are giving Wilson the keys to the Ferrari. It seems like the fans have bullied their way, and the coaching staff / GM really didn't have a choice. After all, Flynn didn't look that bad. This story is eerily similar to the Tebow fiasco last year. Obviously Wilson's ceiling is way higher than Tebow, but you can't teach height. I don't care what everyone says, it will be an issue. Drew Brees is amazing considering he's short (6'0") and he's an inch and a half taller than Wilson.

Arizona's defense is VERY good and a playing in Phoenix isn't easy. Campbell, Dockett, Washington, Acho, and company will be gunning for him. We're not the only team that doesn't want Wilson to succeed after all. Let's revisit this after that game. I wouldn't be surprised if Seattle wins, only because Arizona looks lost on offense, but I highly doubt Wilson lights it up against #1s who have gameplanned against him.
I'm really happy everyone is all over Russell Wilson from a few preseason game. Lets see him when teams game plan for him and don't play vanilla. Personally, I think the NFC west is a mess minus the 9ers. The Rams are years away. Zona has no QB or Oline. The Hawks have a very good D but I'm not sold on their O. Lynch has to prove to be more than a 1 year wonder and they have no weapons on the outside. I think Wilson will be a good QB eventually but people need to calm down about him coming into the regular season and lighting it up.
In spite of Wilson being a rookie, I am not surprised by this at all. The general consensus among scouts, analysts, fans....well, pretty much everyone outside of WZ, is that Alex is at best an average QB. So its not surprising one bit that someone would make the claim that "_____ is better than Alex."
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Everyone overreacts during preseason!

I will be the first to say that Wilson has looked like the best QB in the division during the preseason, but until the games actually count, I have to reserve judgment. He has looked very unflappable and confident for a rookie, but so has Tannehill and Nick Foles, both of which will most likely struggle in this league.

Now guys like Andrew Luck and RGIII will dominate in the future. Both will probably have bad years, due to bad teams. But you see the skills for both of them. They are the franchises. Seattle is looking more and more like they are giving Wilson the keys to the Ferrari. It seems like the fans have bullied their way, and the coaching staff / GM really didn't have a choice. After all, Flynn didn't look that bad. This story is eerily similar to the Tebow fiasco last year. Obviously Wilson's ceiling is way higher than Tebow, but you can't teach height. I don't care what everyone says, it will be an issue. Drew Brees is amazing considering he's short (6'0") and he's an inch and a half taller than Wilson.

Arizona's defense is VERY good and a playing in Phoenix isn't easy. Campbell, Dockett, Washington, Acho, and company will be gunning for him. We're not the only team that doesn't want Wilson to succeed after all. Let's revisit this after that game. I wouldn't be surprised if Seattle wins, only because Arizona looks lost on offense, but I highly doubt Wilson lights it up against #1s who have gameplanned against him.

Honestly, I have watched them all this preaseason, Wilson looked just as good as luck and better than RG3 in my opinion.

Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
I'll bet anyone in this thread $100 that Alex will have a better year barring injury. Serious bet...

This should be more about Russell Wilson. People talking up RW need to put up the money on Wilson going to the ProBowl and sh*t. How about just some good numbers prediction for Wilson. Haven't seen sh*t about that either. But they all say Wilson 'is the real deal', 'dude can play'. 3,000 yds passer....4,000yds passer....? No claim on that yet.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Aug 30, 2012 at 1:11 PM ]
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
In spite of Wilson being a rookie, I am not surprised by this at all. The general consensus among scouts, analysts, fans....well, pretty much everyone outside of WZ, is that Alex is at best an average QB. So its not surprising one bit that someone would make the claim that "_____ is better than Alex."

Originally posted by sachie23:
I'm really happy everyone is all over Russell Wilson from a few preseason game. Lets see him when teams game plan for him and don't play vanilla. Personally, I think the NFC west is a mess minus the 9ers. The Rams are years away. Zona has no QB or Oline. The Hawks have a very good D but I'm not sold on their O. Lynch has to prove to be more than a 1 year wonder and they have no weapons on the outside. I think Wilson will be a good QB eventually but people need to calm down about him coming into the regular season and lighting it up.

great point re wilson...
also, i read where seahawks 1st pick bruce irvin has yet to record a stat in the preseason games (no sacks, no tackles)---does that mean he is a bust...no, it is preseason.....terry coffee lead all nfl backs in rushing in the preseason....how did he work out? kirk cousins has put up great #s for skins in preseason--so what
[ Edited by hofer36 on Aug 30, 2012 at 1:11 PM ]
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:

Better year then what?
Didn't Williamson write an article praising Kolb readiness despite the lack of film on him a number of years back?

Wilson looks promising. Maybe he'll be better than Smith a couple of years down the road, but the odds are against him being great the first year out. Even Peyton Manning had a mediocre first year.
Matt Williamson suffers from P.E.

Premature Evaluation.

It's a disorder that affects 1 in 3 men in America today.
[ Edited by kush on Aug 30, 2012 at 1:12 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone