LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 288 users in the forums

Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. says Russell Wilson better than our boy Alex

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by qwestlove94:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Everyone overreacts during preseason!

I will be the first to say that Wilson has looked like the best QB in the division during the preseason, but until the games actually count, I have to reserve judgment. He has looked very unflappable and confident for a rookie, but so has Tannehill and Nick Foles, both of which will most likely struggle in this league.

Now guys like Andrew Luck and RGIII will dominate in the future. Both will probably have bad years, due to bad teams. But you see the skills for both of them. They are the franchises. Seattle is looking more and more like they are giving Wilson the keys to the Ferrari. It seems like the fans have bullied their way, and the coaching staff / GM really didn't have a choice. After all, Flynn didn't look that bad. This story is eerily similar to the Tebow fiasco last year. Obviously Wilson's ceiling is way higher than Tebow, but you can't teach height. I don't care what everyone says, it will be an issue. Drew Brees is amazing considering he's short (6'0") and he's an inch and a half taller than Wilson.

Arizona's defense is VERY good and a playing in Phoenix isn't easy. Campbell, Dockett, Washington, Acho, and company will be gunning for him. We're not the only team that doesn't want Wilson to succeed after all. Let's revisit this after that game. I wouldn't be surprised if Seattle wins, only because Arizona looks lost on offense, but I highly doubt Wilson lights it up against #1s who have gameplanned against him.

Honestly, I have watched them all this preaseason, Wilson looked just as good as luck and better than RG3 in my opinion.

I agree on both counts. Seattle is a better team than either the Colts or the Redskins (debatable on Redskins). But both of those guys are tall, athletic, and immediately became the franchise the second they were drafted. There was no question. Wilson had to prove he belonged, which can be a good thing, but I still think you're underestimating the height issue. O-line and D-lineman are HUGE.

We will know a lot more in 10 days.
Little Willie doesn't scare me.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
I'll bet anyone in this thread $100 that Alex will have a better year barring injury. Serious bet...

This should be more about Russell Wilson. People talking up RW need to put up the money on Wilson going to the ProBowl and sh*t

No I'm just pointing out how incredibly stupid this is. Again if anyone want's to make a bet that a rookie QB that has played against a lot of 2nd stringers(Nate Davis) is a better QB than Alex I'm down. To me it's just ridiculously stupid.

Me I still feel Alex is going to be a much improved QB. Saying Alex is the same ole QB after 19 pass attempts is just as stupid IMO. The guy has shown progression every year he's been in the league. It may have not shown in 19 passes, 7 drives(2td's,2 fg's), but Alex i still think Alex is going to turn some heads. People have forgot that due to the 19 huge passes Alex has completed most of.

So again nobody's gonna do it because of how stupid a bet that would be, but it's still on the table.
This unfortunatley, if youve watched russell wilson at all this preseason, you've seen that dude can play. We're just not used to qb's stepping in and owning the position right away, doesnt mean that it dont happen that way for other franchises. He might not be better than Alex right now but he certainly has more confidence.

Confidence can be gone in a flash. I still remember Jim Everett of the Rams as a up-and-coming QB back in the 80s. He played really well for a little while, then had a mental meltdown in a playoff game against the 49ers. He was never the same afterwards.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
I'll bet anyone in this thread $100 that Alex will have a better year barring injury. Serious bet...

Better year then what?

Look at the thread title.
Originally posted by fastforward:
This unfortunatley, if youve watched russell wilson at all this preseason, you've seen that dude can play. We're just not used to qb's stepping in and owning the position right away, doesnt mean that it dont happen that way for other franchises. He might not be better than Alex right now but he certainly has more confidence.

Confidence can be gone in a flash. I still remember Jim Everett of the Rams as a up-and-coming QB back in the 80s. He played really well for a little while, then had a mental meltdown in a playoff game against the 49ers. He was never the same afterwards.

Bradford had a GREAT rookie year. I had fully accepted that he was the best QB in the division for the foreseeable future
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by English:
OK. By the way, where is Susweel?

You gotta give Alex some credit he did win a playoff game, you cant just say some 5"10 rookie who had a good preseason is gonna have a better season.

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Better year then what?

Look at the thread title.

Doh!....i dont think anyone would take that bet unless they are seahawk fan
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Read that LSU quarterback Zach Mettenberger has been looking sharp in camp. He's gotta be better than Alex Smiff. Gonna make a new thread right here and now on it.

No need to ba a dick if you don't wonna read my thread then just ignore it. You always trying to pick fights on here.
Ooooooh.....You done did it now!

This is like saying Nate Davis was a better QB than alot of starters in the NFL a few years ago when he would dominate the preseason. LOL at Pete Carroll for starting him over FLynn and LOL at the media for licking the peanut butter off his nuts because he looked good in the preseason. Do they never learn? LOL
Who cares, I'm pretty sure we will run the ball 65 percent of the time. The rest goes to VD.

This should be more about Russell Wilson. People talking up RW need to put up the money on Wilson going to the ProBowl and sh*t

No I'm just pointing out how incredibly stupid this is. Again if anyone want's to make a bet that a rookie QB that has played against a lot of 2nd stringers(Nate Davis) is a better QB than Alex I'm down. To me it's just ridiculously stupid.

Me I still feel Alex is going to be a much improved QB. Saying Alex is the same ole QB after 19 pass attempts is just as stupid IMO. The guy has shown progression every year he's been in the league. It may have not shown in 19 passes, 7 drives(2td's,2 fg's), but Alex i still think Alex is going to turn some heads. People have forgot that due to the 19 huge passes Alex has completed most of.

So again nobody's gonna do it because of how stupid a bet that would be, but it's still on the table.

Really? How exactly is this bet incredibly stupid?? Russell Wilson could put up better stats than Alex just based on the fact that seattle will probably throw more than us. We are a run first team, meaning if our run game is going then Alex might only throw it 16-20 times. The main argument in support of Alex is that stats dont matter right? So why would you bet on him to have a better year statistically? I would say its a safer bet to say we finish ahead of the seahawks in the division, but I dont think it would be a shocker if Wilson outdoes Alex statwise, but who cares if we're winning the division, I would take you up on that bet but I dont want to be rooting for the Seahawks in any way shape or form. But id say the odds are 50/50
  • Jiks
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Who cares, I'm pretty sure we will run the ball 65 percent of the time. The rest goes to VD.

Nothing wrong with that. People keep saying "why don't we throw to our super star in Moss?" Well maybe because VD is a super star as well. I dunno maybe I'm wrong!?
  • Jiks

Really? How exactly is this bet incredibly stupid?? Russell Wilson could put up better stats than Alex just based on the fact that seattle will probably throw more than us. We are a run first team, meaning if our run game is going then Alex might only throw it 16-20 times. The main argument in support of Alex is that stats dont matter right? So why would you bet on him to have a better year statistically? I would say its a safer bet to say we finish ahead of the seahawks in the division, but I dont think it would be a shocker if Wilson outdoes Alex statwise, but who cares if we're winning the division, I would take you up on that bet but I dont want to be rooting for the Seahawks in any way shape or form. But id say the odds are 50/50

$100
Share 49ersWebzone