LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 233 users in the forums

Suggs out for 2012 with torn Achilles

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Originally posted by sfout:
He was one of them because of us easing our #7 overall pick into the game, now that guy is ready to play on an every down basis, Haralson sounds expendable at $2.5Million when he is expected to see the field on 3rd down only if not less then that. He'll need to rework his deal, we didn't draft 2 day 2 talent OLBs for no reason last week. Haralson faces an uphill battle, he has only the slightest of edges over Cam Johnson to make the final 53.

Haralson is one of 3 outside linebackers with any game experience on our roster. He is excellent defending the run and can rush the passer. He isn't going anywhere.

I'm not doubting his skill, I'm doubting his expected playing time versus his contract value, can we justify paying our #3 or maybe even #4 OLB by the time camp ends a $2.5M salary? My gut says no, which is why I expect him to rework his deal, even if it is only converting it into a roster bonus. He'll more then likely be on the team come week 1 but it is not an entirely sure thing either.
That sucks

They finally have a guy like Upshaw to play opposite of him, now this happens.

Kruger better step it up.
Maybe we should trade Aldon for a 4th....

Seriously though, that sucks. I was hoping to see a Niner/Ravens Bowl this year. Jim vs John/ Willis vs Ray
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on May 3, 2012 at 8:25 AM ]
We have to keep Haralson! There is no choice. At 2.5 mil its still a bargain for a better than average depth player. If Brooks or Smith goes down or god forbid knock on wood both go down. Then what? You want to put the rookie 6th round pick in there and hope for the best? No thanks! Aldon wasn't given the starting job last year and he was a top ten pick. There's no way anyone else on roster is capable. Haralson will be the backup at both OLB positions and I'd give him 2.5 without thinking about it to do it.
[ Edited by NinerG94 on May 3, 2012 at 8:30 AM ]
Helluva player but he bugs me. That said, hope he has a speedy recovery.
Haralson is one of 3 outside linebackers with any game experience on our roster. He is excellent defending the run and can rush the passer. He isn't going anywhere.

He is NOT excellent defending the run, and isn't much of a pass rusher either. However, he IS one of only three OLB's we have with game experience. So he probably isn't going anywhere. But that says more about our lack of depth at the position, than it does about his talent.
Originally posted by RDB4216:

He is NOT excellent defending the run, and isn't much of a pass rusher either. However, he IS one of only three OLB's we have with game experience. So he probably isn't going anywhere. But that says more about our lack of depth at the position, than it does about his talent.

This
That sux. Dont like the guy but good player though.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Sucks for the ravens. He was a beast.
First, being born with that face, and now this?

Originally posted by RDB4216:

He is an excellent run defender and has had success rushing the passer. Before last year when he was removed from the field on 3rd downs he was consistently one of our team leaders in QB pressures. Started all 16 games and played all run downs for one of the most successful run D's in the history of the game. If you disagree refer me to a play in which he allowed a running back to get past him for a big gain. Not saying he's a starter but he is an extremely valuable rotational player.
[ Edited by DirtyP on May 3, 2012 at 8:59 AM ]
Originally posted by cwilson830:
First, being born with that face, and now this?

bet he can smash more tail. in a week than you can in a year.

just sayin!
He says he will be back midseason. Let see how that goes.
Not a fan of Haralson BUT - what happens if one of our OLB go down and we don't have Haralson?
Originally posted by dhp318:
so I know Haralson is almost nothing in the pass rush department but could we have just found a trade partner as the Ravens look to shore up the OLB department?

haralson is too valuable to ya relative to his trade value. we only carried three olbs or something ridiculous and he was one of them.

He was one of them because of us easing our #7 overall pick into the game, now that guy is ready to play on an every down basis, Haralson sounds expendable at $2.5Million when he is expected to see the field on 3rd down only if not less then that. He'll need to rework his deal, we didn't draft 2 day 2 talent OLBs for no reason last week. Haralson faces an uphill battle, he has only the slightest of edges over Cam Johnson to make the final 53.

Your comments in bold are a total contradiction... which probably means that I shouldn't take you seriously about Haralson, but are you nuts? We will not trade Haralson unless someone stupid offers a 1st or 2nd rounder for him. He is a solid OLB. A decent pass rusher (though not as good as Aldon or Brooks). He used to be our top pass rusher at OLB... remember? He will see considerable playing time in a rotation on 1st and 2nd downs to help keep Brooks and Aldon fresh. And if someone gets hurt, he can fill in with little drop-off.

We have plenty of cap space. Haralson may be overpaid, but he is valuable enough that we will let him play out his contract.
Share 49ersWebzone