LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

2012 Salary Cap will be $120.6M

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Should go up significantly. The new TV deal kicks in, and revenue will be going up.

I say between 130M-150M. Then in 2014, it goes up for sure to 150-160M.

I dont know the exact system, as they dont release that formula publicly, but it has to do with the new TV deal. Plus in 2013 and beyond there will be a league wide spending minimum, 99% as a league, and 93% for each team. If not 99% combined, then all teams will have to spend 99% of the cap.

Also with the low cap it brings down the franchise numbers. They now go by average of the last 5 franchise numbers. So for 2012, it goes off of 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011. RFA tenders go up by like 5%, or more if the cap increases more.

Reasoning we put the rest of Willis' signing bonus pro-ration into 2012 is to give as much cap space for 2013 and beyond.

On behalf of everyone who reads this thank you.

I can imagine Baalke doing a top deal like that for a WR, 5mil this year that gets bumped to 8-9 mil next year based on performances.
I think I figured out the difference, Maiocco isnt including the pending Brock EFA tender offer of $540K.

With thee difference I am at $19,911,164 under before Brock's tender then. A difference of $88,836K
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Spencer would create $2.91M when you take into consideration the top 51 rule.

Then Haralson would create $2.36M, both Spencer and Haralson would be replaced by a minimum guy at $390K each.

With the $19,459,844M right now plus the $2.91M and $2.36M gives us around $24,729,844M in cap space.

Then taking into consideration sfout's numebers,

-1.5 for Costanzo
-1.5 for Gooden
-2.0 for Snyder

-6.0 Alex
-2.0 ginn
-3.0 morgan
-4.0 rogers

That would leave us at around $4,729,844M under. Of course I expect lower cap figures for some, Gooden can be signed for 750K, then Morgan would be 2M at most IMO for 2012. Alex I would hope at 4M, along with Rogers. Ginn seems fine at 2M, same for Snyder. Costanzo is fine at 1.5M, but 1M would be better.

Also take into consideration that with each signing, a minimum guy is bumped, so it creates an extra $390K each player signed. So that an additional $2.73M, brings us to, with the $4,729,844M, up to $7,459,844M, which would be used for rookies. And if we take the difference of Gooden's deal, $750K, plus the fact he is under the vet credit, which would also create $210K, brings us to $8,419,844M under.

Take away 3M for draftees, we would be left with $5,419,844M, which we could use on a vet WR, even Vincent Jackson.

Of course we would create some more cap space at final cuts, $826K for Pontbriand, $540K for Dixon, and some more minimum guys, if Reuland makes the team and Byham is cut, we save some there. We could go into 2012 with about 3M under. And have everyone signed.

Our roster would look like this.

QB- Alex/ Kaep/ Tolzien
RB- Gore/ Hunter/ Draftee or Dixon
FB- Miller
WR- Jackson/ Ginn/ Rookie
WR- Crabtree/ Morgan
TE- Vernon/ Walker/ Reuland or Byham
C- Goodwin
OG- Iupati/ Snyder/ Kilgore/ Rookie
OT- Davis/ Staley/ Boone/ Person

DE- McDonald/ Smith/ Tukuafu/ Dobbs
NT- Sopoaga/ Jean Francois/ Williams
OLB- Aldon/ Brooks/ Rookie
ILB- Willis/ Bowman/ Grant/ Gooden/ Costanzo
CB- Rogers or another vet FA/ Brown/ Culliver/ Rookie/ Brock or Holcomb
FS- Goldson/ Jones/ Rookie or Nelms
SS- Whitner/ Spillman

K- Akers
P- Lee
LS- Jennings

And the 53rd Spot would go to either a CB/S, WR or extra RB.

We would use a draft pick on following;

3rd or 4th WR
3rd RB
RG of the Future
3rd OLB
4th CB
3rd FS

and Another CB/S or WR.

Also if Grant leaves, that creates $1.26M in space, and a roster spot for a rookie.

thats a very great scenario. were set up pretty well for next season.
Originally posted by sfout:
Spencer would create $2.91M when you take into consideration the top 51 rule.

Then Haralson would create $2.36M, both Spencer and Haralson would be replaced by a minimum guy at $390K each.

With the $19,459,844M right now plus the $2.91M and $2.36M gives us around $24,729,844M in cap space.

Then taking into consideration sfout's numebers,

-1.5 for Costanzo
-1.5 for Gooden
-2.0 for Snyder

-6.0 Alex
-2.0 ginn
-3.0 morgan
-4.0 rogers

That would leave us at around $4,729,844M under. Of course I expect lower cap figures for some, Gooden can be signed for 750K, then Morgan would be 2M at most IMO for 2012. Alex I would hope at 4M, along with Rogers. Ginn seems fine at 2M, same for Snyder. Costanzo is fine at 1.5M, but 1M would be better.

Also take into consideration that with each signing, a minimum guy is bumped, so it creates an extra $390K each player signed. So that an additional $2.73M, brings us to, with the $4,729,844M, up to $7,459,844M, which would be used for rookies. And if we take the difference of Gooden's deal, $750K, plus the fact he is under the vet credit, which would also create $210K, brings us to $8,419,844M under.

Take away 3M for draftees, we would be left with $5,419,844M, which we could use on a vet WR, even Vincent Jackson.

Of course we would create some more cap space at final cuts, $826K for Pontbriand, $540K for Dixon, and some more minimum guys, if Reuland makes the team and Byham is cut, we save some there. We could go into 2012 with about 3M under. And have everyone signed.

Our roster would look like this.

QB- Alex/ Kaep/ Tolzien
RB- Gore/ Hunter/ Draftee or Dixon
FB- Miller
WR- Jackson/ Ginn/ Rookie
WR- Crabtree/ Morgan
TE- Vernon/ Walker/ Reuland or Byham
C- Goodwin
OG- Iupati/ Snyder/ Kilgore/ Rookie
OT- Davis/ Staley/ Boone/ Person

DE- McDonald/ Smith/ Tukuafu/ Dobbs
NT- Sopoaga/ Jean Francois/ Williams
OLB- Aldon/ Brooks/ Rookie
ILB- Willis/ Bowman/ Grant/ Gooden/ Costanzo
CB- Rogers or another vet FA/ Brown/ Culliver/ Rookie/ Brock or Holcomb
FS- Goldson/ Jones/ Rookie or Nelms
SS- Whitner/ Spillman

K- Akers
P- Lee
LS- Jennings

And the 53rd Spot would go to either a CB/S, WR or extra RB.

We would use a draft pick on following;

3rd or 4th WR
3rd RB
RG of the Future
3rd OLB
4th CB
3rd FS

and Another CB/S or WR.

Also if Grant leaves, that creates $1.26M in space, and a roster spot for a rookie.

thats a very great scenario. were set up pretty well for next season.

Thanks,

And figure next offseason, the major FAs would be

Delanie Walker
Andy Lee
Isaac Sopoaga
Dashon Goldson

Then minor;

Ricky Jean Francois
Tramaine Brock (RFA)
Larry Grant

We would have also to extend Bowman, which shouldn't be too hard. Could also look into Mike Iupati and Anthony Davis.

If we get the guys signed this offseason we should have a nice core signed long term.

LT Joe Staley- 2017
CB Carlos Rogers- 2015 or 2016
OLB Ahmad Brooks- 2017
ILB Patrick Willis- 2016
TE Vernon Davis- 2015
DE Ray McDonald- 2015
OT Alex Boone- 2015
WR Vincent Jackson- 2015 or 2016

After 2013 we have a few Free Agents,

Key Ones:

Justin Smith- Must decide if he wants to retire or stay on a few more seasons.
Donte Whitner- Would re-sign for sure
NaVorro Bowman- Should be extended by end of 2012-beginning of 2013 season
David Akers- Retire? Maybe, or re-signed

Minor;

Anthony Dixon
Nate Byham
Kyle Williams

All 3 might not make the 2012 roster.

after 2014 is key ones though

Anthony Davis
Mike Iupati
Aldon Smith
Kendall Hunter
Chris Culliver
Bruce Miller
Colin Kaepernick- I hope he is the future

Brian Jennings- needs to make decision by then
Michael Crabtree- needs to improve by then, but may be gone anyway.

But future is fine. Got plenty of space for future years, only 93M committed for 2013 right now, 97M if you count projected 201 draft picks numbers.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Thanks,

And figure next offseason, the major FAs would be

Delanie Walker
Andy Lee
Isaac Sopoaga
Dashon Goldson

Then minor;

Ricky Jean Francois
Tramaine Brock (RFA)
Larry Grant

We would have also to extend Bowman, which shouldn't be too hard. Could also look into Mike Iupati and Anthony Davis.

If we get the guys signed this offseason we should have a nice core signed long term.

LT Joe Staley- 2017
CB Carlos Rogers- 2015 or 2016
OLB Ahmad Brooks- 2017
ILB Patrick Willis- 2016
TE Vernon Davis- 2015
DE Ray McDonald- 2015
OT Alex Boone- 2015
WR Vincent Jackson- 2015 or 2016

After 2013 we have a few Free Agents,

Key Ones:

Justin Smith- Must decide if he wants to retire or stay on a few more seasons.
Donte Whitner- Would re-sign for sure
NaVorro Bowman- Should be extended by end of 2012-beginning of 2013 season
David Akers- Retire? Maybe, or re-signed

Minor;

Anthony Dixon
Nate Byham
Kyle Williams

All 3 might not make the 2012 roster.

after 2014 is key ones though

Anthony Davis
Mike Iupati
Aldon Smith
Kendall Hunter
Chris Culliver
Bruce Miller
Colin Kaepernick- I hope he is the future

Brian Jennings- needs to make decision by then
Michael Crabtree- needs to improve by then, but may be gone anyway.

But future is fine. Got plenty of space for future years, only 93M committed for 2013 right now, 97M if you count projected 201 draft picks numbers.

our value on morgan is apparently being tested...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/11/49ers-working-to-re-sign-free-agent-receiver-morgan/

I can't find any text like this in the Bee article

but from the PFT piece...

Some speculation and reports have connected Morgan to the Jacksonville Jaguars, where he'd have no trouble cracking the starting lineup. But the Niners want Morgan back to be their No. 2, lining up opposite Michael Crabtree.

if that is the case we can kiss signing Colston/Vjax or really even Garcon good bye.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/11/49ers-working-to-re-sign-free-agent-receiver-morgan/

Some speculation and reports have connected Morgan to the Jacksonville Jaguars, where he'd have no trouble cracking the starting lineup. But the Niners want Morgan back to be their No. 2, lining up opposite Michael Crabtree.

if that is the case we can kiss signing Colston/Vjax or really even Garcon good bye.

Damn. I 'm wondering how much Morgan is asking for. Anything above 3M a yr is too much. I want him back, but I can't see him as a 4M+ a year WR, but someone will make it happen. Jags have a s**tload of money, as does Washington, which Morgan is from, and others like KC and Tampa.
  • sfout
  • Veteran

Damn. I 'm wondering how much Morgan is asking for. Anything above 3M a yr is too much. I want him back, but I can't see him as a 4M+ a year WR, but someone will make it happen. Jags have a s**tload of money, as does Washington, which Morgan is from, and others like KC and Tampa.

I like Morgan I think he is our deep threat, he just needs to not alligator arm anything, I saw him do that too often over the 2009 and 2010 seasons but luckily didn't see that during the 2011 preseason or the 5 games he played in(however I am furious with the play he broke his ankle on IMHO he should've stepped out of bounds or just dove for the goal line rather then brace for contact.).

Thats funny as hell you have the same #s in mind that I posted in another thread(or earlier in this 1) that I am comfortable giving him 12-15 Million over 3 years with 4M guaranteed but would rather stick around 9-12M over 3 years. IMHO I'd want us to lock him up for 4-5 for $3.5 a year like 5 years $18M with 6 or 7 guaranteed.

He would have to B line it Jacksonville if he wanted a quick payday otherwise he'd have to wait until VJAX, Colston, Garcon are signed. I know his production isn't indicative of his skills but I still think most teams will be prudent and go after the bigger fish 1st.
[ Edited by sfout on Mar 11, 2012 at 2:50 PM ]

i wouldn't worry about the comment about the Niners wanting him to be a #2. the guys at PFT just regurgitate someone else's journalism and add some opinion to it. His source is Barrows piece, and Barrows doesn't mention that at all.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HessianDud:

i wouldn't worry about the comment about the Niners wanting him to be a #2. the guys at PFT just regurgitate someone else's journalism and add some opinion to it. His source is Barrows piece, and Barrows doesn't mention that at all.

you just regurgitated what I wrote lol . I said that I couldn't find anything in Barrows' piece about wanting him to be the #2 but PFT wrote there own opinion into it. IMHO though we wouldn't be pushing this hard for Morgan if we didn't want him as our #2. I bet if we dont re-sign him we'll go hard for Vjax, Colston, or Wallace (but only to their pre-determined value).

Likeliest scenario I see basing on our cap situation is re-signing Morgan, signing Meachem, drafting a rookie early(Hill, Wright, Jeffery etc; and one late(to compete with Williams, Bogan and any of the other fringe guys we have). That way we have Crabtree - Morgan - Meachem - rookie - competition winner.
you just regurgitated what I wrote lol . I said that I couldn't find anything in Barrows' piece about wanting him to be the #2 but PFT wrote there own opinion into it. IMHO though we wouldn't be pushing this hard for Morgan if we didn't want him as our #2. I bet if we dont re-sign him we'll go hard for Vjax, Colston, or Wallace (but only to their pre-determined value).

Likeliest scenario I see basing on our cap situation is re-signing Morgan, signing Meachem, drafting a rookie early(Hill, Wright, Jeffery etc; and one late(to compete with Williams, Bogan and any of the other fringe guys we have). That way we have Crabtree - Morgan - Meachem - rookie - competition winner.

well, we have no idea how "hard" exactly we are pushing. I think even if we do re-sign him we will make a push at some of the top-tier free agent WRs. Meachem would be a great signing if we don't re-sign Morgan, but just a so-so signing if we sign them both.

• mod
  • Veteran
the WZ needs to sign AB to a contract so he doesnt go anywhere
  • sfout
  • Veteran

well, we have no idea how "hard" exactly we are pushing. I think even if we do re-sign him we will make a push at some of the top-tier free agent WRs. Meachem would be a great signing if we don't re-sign Morgan, but just a so-so signing if we sign them both.

read up on mine an AB's posts at the top of the page. IF we dont re-sign Morgan and Ginn but re-sign everyone else the same way we have written then we'd only have $9M to throw at essentially 1 of the big name guys which could/should be enough to lure them here, and maybe if were lucky sign another random FA for CB depth(like Chris Carr)

I just dont see us spending our entire FA budget on a single person so thats why I went with what I just wrote about re-signing Morgan.

read up on mine an AB's posts at the top of the page. IF we dont re-sign Morgan and Ginn but re-sign everyone else the same way we have written then we'd only have $9M to throw at essentially 1 of the big name guys which could/should be enough to lure them here, and maybe if were lucky sign another random FA for CB depth(like Chris Carr)

I just dont see us spending our entire FA budget on a single person so thats why I went with what I just wrote about re-signing Morgan.

i think your scenario of how the WR corps could shape up is somewhat likely, but I think having Morgan and Meachem is redundant. they are similar players. if we re-sign Morgan I don't think we will go after Meachem, but would probably still take a pass at one of the other WR's--remember, we have a value set for each individual and won't go over that. The team will figure out how to afford to fix the biggest position of need while also retaining other important players, or finding serviceable replacements.
Originally posted by modninerfan:
the WZ needs to sign AB to a contract so he doesnt go anywhere

Great Idea, and I won't holdout for a longer/more money contract. SIGN ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!
Updated cap figures as of today.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/11/team-by-team-cap-space-as-of-march-11/related/

Bengals: $49.9 million under.

Broncos: $44.7 million under.

Buccaneers: $42.7 million under.

Jaguars: $40.6 million under.

Chiefs: $32.5 million under.

Redskins: $31.1 million under.

Bills: $30.8 million under.

Seahawks: $29.8 million under.

Titans: $28.1 million under.

Bears: $22.6 million under.

49ers: $21.8 million under.

Browns: $17.4 million under.