There are 170 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Coughlin may have accidentally unleashed a phenomenal strategy

When there's under like 30 seconds or so and the only thing that will beat you is a hail mary, you might as well just have extra defenders on the field to guard against the hail mary and eat up clock and then just accept the 5 measly, irrelevant yards that you will be penalized. Hell, don't stop at 12 guys, the penalty is the same regardless of how many extra guys you have on the field. You seriously literally might as well have all 45 guys that dressed on the field. Same with on the goalline. If you're up 9 or more with like 30 seconds left and the other team has it on the 1 yard line. If you play them straight up, they could get a TD and then have time to maybe recover an onside kick with a few plays to get in FG range. But if you just have tons of extra guys on the field to stop a TD, you keep conceding the 5 inch half the distance to the goal penalty while not allowing a TD until the last play of regulation and then you win.
You need to learn the rules of football first.
What a p***y way to win a game, Id consider not watching football if coaches started doing this.
pretty simple to beat this, if you see too many people on the field, spike the ball and take the 5 yards. 1 second off the clock max
[ Edited by schmons on Feb 7, 2012 at 1:37 PM ]
You guys can't be serious can you? You know the game can't end on a defensive penalty. So ya..keep doing that and the other team will continue to get another play. Seriously, and I thought there were knowledgeable fans on this board.
Originally posted by SportsFan:
You guys can't be serious can you? You know the game can't end on a defensive penalty. So ya..keep doing that and the other team will continue to get another play. Seriously, and I thought there were knowledgeable fans on this board.

So you do it until there's only time for one more play...
Originally posted by dhp318:

Huh?

Seriously, like the guy said above. Just spike the ball, 1 second off the clock, 5 yards. Move down the field.

This is the dumbest thread of the year.
wrong person
[ Edited by valrod33 on Feb 7, 2012 at 1:42 PM ]
Originally posted by dhp318:

Huh?

Seriously, like the guy said above. Just spike the ball, 1 second off the clock, 5 yards. Move down the field.

This is the dumbest thread of the year.

I can just imagine,,,,,starting on your own 20, and you spike it every play for the 5 yards all down the field. Within 12 seconds, you're on your opponents 20.
That would probably get you an unsportsmanlike penalty.
Originally posted by andes14:
When there's under like 30 seconds or so and the only thing that will beat you is a hail mary, you might as well just have extra defenders on the field to guard against the hail mary and eat up clock and then just accept the 5 measly, irrelevant yards that you will be penalized. Hell, don't stop at 12 guys, the penalty is the same regardless of how many extra guys you have on the field. You seriously literally might as well have all 45 guys that dressed on the field. Same with on the goalline. If you're up 9 or more with like 30 seconds left and the other team has it on the 1 yard line. If you play them straight up, they could get a TD and then have time to maybe recover an onside kick with a few plays to get in FG range. But if you just have tons of extra guys on the field to stop a TD, you keep conceding the 5 inch half the distance to the goal penalty while not allowing a TD until the last play of regulation and then you win.
Oh really? This is a dumb idea? Why don't you tell that to the architect of the greatest defense in NFL history, Buddy Ryan, who did just that:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/07/league-not-commenting-on-possible-changes-to-12-men-penalty/

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/features/2011/nfl_2011/super_bowl/giants_patriots_super_bowl_did_new_york_put_12_men_on_the_field_on_purpose_for_brady_s_first_hail_mary_.html

Schmons, you stated that a spike takes one second off the clock, max - what do u mean "max"?? Have you EVER seen a spike that DIDN'T take a second off the clock? It would take off AT LEAST a second but most of the time 2 or 3 seconds come off the clock. And if there's 7 or 8 seonds left, maybe they have time for 2 hail mary's...by eliminating a couple ticks, now maybe they only have time for 1.

SportsFan, why don't YOU learn the rules of football first. What did I say that demonstrated a lack of knowledge of the rules. If you think that the more guys you have on the field, the bigger the penalty, you are wrong. Whether you have 12 men on the field or 12 million, it's still just a 5 yard penalty.
[ Edited by andes14 on Feb 7, 2012 at 2:01 PM ]
I thought you were going to say...pray for lucky fumbles to bounce your way every game. Pretty good strategy.
This is not stupid. Buddy Ryan actually had a real play designed for this. I think the commissioner should look into stopping this loophole.
I have a better idea, pay Tim Tebow to stand on the sidelines and pray for you.