There are 271 users in the forums

Coughlin may have accidentally unleashed a phenomenal strategy

Shop 49ers game tickets
nm
[ Edited by OKC49erFan on Feb 8, 2012 at 6:14 AM ]
Originally posted by schmons:
pretty simple to beat this, if you see too many people on the field, spike the ball and take the 5 yards. 1 second off the clock max

And what if you don't? Especially when there's so little time on the lock and you're busy hurrying everyone to the LoS?
buddy ryan used to do this all the time it isn't anything new
  • vaden
  • Veteran
As others have said, there's a simple fix (put time back on the clock) but the NFL was too lazy to do it. Now that the Pats have been victimized by it, I'm sure they'll fix it. I also wish they'd stop letting defenses call timeout on fg attempts.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
this just tells me I didn't pay attention to the game at all. Missed the Cruz TD and don't remember when this happened. All I really remember was the hailmary that gronk almost caught.
but hey it soundeded cool in my headeded
The OP is right, its a lame loophole in the rulebook. The penalty for the extra man is pretty insignificant (5 yards).

The NFL just needs to add one little thing to the rulebook that time will be put on the clock if there is a 12th man penalty with under 1 minute to go.

Edit: As far spiking the ball down the field, the 12 man loophole would work best when a player is tackled on the field (so the QB would either have to spike it or run a play against 12 men, and it would take 6-8 seconds to get lined up to do either and he would have to decide in a split second when he is yelling to other players what to do).
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Feb 8, 2012 at 9:08 AM ]
Originally posted by dhp318:
Originally posted by schmons:
pretty simple to beat this, if you see too many people on the field, spike the ball and take the 5 yards. 1 second off the clock max

And what if you don't? Especially when there's so little time on the lock and you're busy hurrying everyone to the LoS?

well if the time runs out, you get a free play
Fake player injuries to stop clock

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
sorry but he's not "elite" if he backs it up with another probowl year than yeah...he wasn't even voted by the players in the top100 players of the year, 12 qbs taken ahead of him

Neither was Justin Smith. And Donovan McNabb DID make the list...your point?
Originally posted by vaden:
As others have said, there's a simple fix (put time back on the clock) but the NFL was too lazy to do it. Now that the Pats have been victimized by it, I'm sure they'll fix it. I also wish they'd stop letting defenses call timeout on fg attempts.

Statistics show that icing doesn't work. It's just annoying more than anything.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
lol really

The game can't end if there's a defensive penalty
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
lol really

I'm not talking about doing it on the last play...I'm talking about doing it for a couple plays UNTIL the last play...
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
lol really

Its about using the cheap tactic in the last minute of the game to get the other time to waste time on the clock so they only get shot on the last play.

Not about using 12th man on the last play....
Share 49ersWebzone