There are 165 users in the forums

2011-2012 SUPERBOWL THREAD

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by crabman82:
so your telling him a very similar play is called 1 way then 2 weeks later handled differently in an nfl game? shocker

As a high school referee watching these two calls make me change the way I would call this type of play. I can see an argument for both sides. I think next year for a runner to get his forward progress spot and not a fumble he is going to have to be more than a yard behind his forward progress spot for me to give him the spot of his forward progress and not a fumble.

Seeing this call being made against the 49ers did make me feel better about the call I made in a pee-wee game. It was the same situation but the runner was knocked two to three yards behind his forward progress spot before the ball came out. Needless to say the defense sideline went crazy.

Refereeing is not as easy as some of you think it is. Can you make the right call even though you know your call will cause an up roar? Sometimes it's a thin line between the right call and the wrong call and you have to make the call after seeing the play once in regular speed.
  • Timma
  • Veteran
There were more than a handful of times I said to my buddies yesterday,"Oh look, Bradshaw just had his forward momentum stopped. Where's the whistle?"

I truly feel the non-fumble call was the biggest reason we lost. Sure the 3rd downs weren't happening and everyone talks about Kyle. If we got that fumble then there was the greatest chance we would have scored and not gone to OT. Kyle never would have made the 2nd fumble and he would not be in the dog house like he is now.
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
The refs are too busy sucking black dick that they don't know what is a turnover.

WTF?? This was some random s**t right here..
Originally posted by Stevec9932:
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
The refs are too busy sucking black dick that they don't know what is a turnover.

WTF?? This was some random s**t right here..

very random, and descriptive, he narrowed it down to race
Here's a stat line: 122 catches, 1,569 yards and 9 TD's. Sorry, but correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's considered a weapon. Not to mention his tight end shattered the record for TD catches. #patriotexcuses.
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
<<----- Didn't watch, found out who won and still don't care.

i only caught like the final 6 mins, the football fan in me had to catch the final moments. must admit i cheered for the pats in those final mins as if i had money on them, i swear the giants were the most luckiest f**king team in america
Next season you guys, next season, i am praying to see the 49ers kill the giants by forcing a lots of turn overs.
[ Edited by Rocket4989 on Feb 6, 2012 at 9:46 AM ]
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Sooooo boring except for the last five minutes.
Larry Krueger is such an idiot he said the Niners wouldn't have beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl. He also said the Niners had no chance against the Saints.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
<<----- Didn't watch, found out who won and still don't care.

i only caught like the final 6 mins, the football fan in me had to catch the final moments. must admit i cheered for the pats in those final mins as if i had money on them, i swear the giants were the most luckiest f**king team in america

That's what I've been reading, NYG had sooo many breaks this off-season that went their way. The football fan in me just wanted to know who won, not sure which team was the lesser of the two evils, but if I had to choose, would've rooted for Patriots (first time ever) since Brady is a local guy growing up as a Niners fan. Meh.

Originally posted by Rocket4989:
Next season you guys, next season, i am praying to see the 49ers kill the giants by forcing a lots of turn overs.

I doubt we get the same kind of turnovers next season. That said, I do expect our offense to be improved.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by 23zack80:
Sooooo boring except for the last five minutes.

this
Yea I was a little surprised when that happened as well. Like the tuck rule, this "stopped forward progress" business needs to be revisited and clarified so that it makes sense. By literal interpretation of the rule, a fumble can not be forced on a running back if he is tackled from the front unless contact was ONLY made with the ball. We all know it has not been called that way historically and just seemed to come out of nowhere in the championship game (again, like the tuck rule).
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
i think he's a likely Hall of Famer. Needs a few more years like 2011, stat-wise, I think.

do you guys think Roethlisberger is a slam-dunk Hall of Famer, which is how Eli is being portrayed?

well obviously he isnt a HOF now but even if he maints lets say just a 2:1 td to int ratio he is in

i only ask because i've been reading a lot of things that basically say Eli is an "all-time great" and has "made his case for Canton" but--and maybe I'm just forgetting--I don't remember anyone making the same pronouncements about Big Ben. They have similar stats, except Roehlisberger has won more games and has a better TD:INT ratio, and both obviously have two rings.

I think Roethlisberger should be ahead of Eli at this point. Both have been in the league for 8 seasons. Roethlisberger has had 6 good seasons. Eli has had 2, with another 2 borderline decent seasons. Just last year, his 7th season, he led the NFL in interceptions. Roethlisberger is way ahead of him in comp%, YPA, QB rating. Eli narrows the gap by having been better in the playoffs, and at this point he is the better QB, but career-wise Eli isn't even close to HOF worthy yet.
Originally posted by vaden:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
i think he's a likely Hall of Famer. Needs a few more years like 2011, stat-wise, I think.

do you guys think Roethlisberger is a slam-dunk Hall of Famer, which is how Eli is being portrayed?

well obviously he isnt a HOF now but even if he maints lets say just a 2:1 td to int ratio he is in

i only ask because i've been reading a lot of things that basically say Eli is an "all-time great" and has "made his case for Canton" but--and maybe I'm just forgetting--I don't remember anyone making the same pronouncements about Big Ben. They have similar stats, except Roehlisberger has won more games and has a better TD:INT ratio, and both obviously have two rings.

I think Roethlisberger should be ahead of Eli at this point. Both have been in the league for 8 seasons. Roethlisberger has had 6 good seasons. Eli has had 2, with another 2 borderline decent seasons. Just last year, his 7th season, he led the NFL in interceptions. Roethlisberger is way ahead of him in comp%, YPA, QB rating. Eli narrows the gap by having been better in the playoffs, and at this point he is the better QB, but career-wise Eli isn't even close to HOF worthy yet.

yeah, i agree actually. i think Eli's "clutch playoff" reputation gives him a boost, but this whole comparison is the problem with the knee-jerk HoF pronouncements. Eli wins his second and all of a sudden he's an all-time great...well, if he is, then so is Roethlisberger, and since Big Ben didn't just in a Super Bowl I don't think anyone is willing to make that statement--even though on paper he's the better player.
Share 49ersWebzone