So assuming the NFL's objective is to move the Rams to London, a big "if," to be sure. How do they shuffle the NFC West? I guess such a move would mandate an expansion team in the NFC West? Certainly they wouldn't want to mess with the established rivalries in the AFC West. And where do you stick the Rams? In the AFC East? I don't think you want to mess with the NFC East, considering the history within that division...

There's no question that the NFL would dearly like to grow the sport in Europe, but I don't think there's any real threat that the Rams will be set up as the NFL's lonely European outpost. The logistics of it makes no sense, it will require at least one expansion team in the western US and a lopsided division in either of the eastern divisions. The more I think about it, the less sense this makes. So, it would seem that the simplest explanation is the best: the NFL is trying to light a fire under the Ram's stadium deal. After all, the last thing the NFL wants is a team in LA and the retirement of their favorite threat against cities that lollygag when it comes to stadium renovations.