LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 226 users in the forums

Head Coach Firing TRACKER

Shop 49ers game tickets
Cannot express how great of a hire I think Schiano to TB is.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Adam Schefter
Now official: After finalizing a five-year deal, the Buccaneers officially have hired Greg Schiano as their next head coach.

5 years though?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Not necessarily. We didn't make it to the NFC Championship game on the strength of our explosive offense led by the mastermind genius who outsmarted the rest of the defenses in the NFL. We played great defense and made few mistakes on offense...that's a formula that has worked in the NFL for years regardless of coaching background.

Not taking anything away from JH at all, but I think the fact that he was an NFL QB is just one aspect of/reason for his success, but it's certainly not the main one. I think his attention to detail in all 3 phases of the game, and the ability to get players to fully buy in to his system philosophy are the real keys.

Alex Smith: 2010: 82.1 QB rating.... 2011: 90.7 QB rating.... Career 72.1 (before 2011)....
Originally posted by Jcool:
Not necessarily. We didn't make it to the NFC Championship game on the strength of our explosive offense led by the mastermind genius who outsmarted the rest of the defenses in the NFL. We played great defense and made few mistakes on offense...that's a formula that has worked in the NFL for years regardless of coaching background.

Not taking anything away from JH at all, but I think the fact that he was an NFL QB is just one aspect of/reason for his success, but it's certainly not the main one. I think his attention to detail in all 3 phases of the game, and the ability to get players to fully buy in to his system philosophy are the real keys.

Alex Smith: 2010: 82.1 QB rating.... 2011: 90.7 QB rating.... Career 72.1 (before 2011)....

We got better QB play no doubt, but it was more about efficiency (less turnovers/mistakes) then overwhelming production from that position. Which means, we relied more heavily on a great defense that created turnovers like crazy, special teams that constantly tilted the field in our favor and a decent enough running game more so than explosive QB play.

Point being, Harbaugh's experience as a pro QB helped (no doubt, of course), but it's not like THAT fact alone (or that aspect of the team) made this season the success that it was. IMO, if Harbaugh had the same experience as Schiano he would STILL be successful, because it's his overall approach/mentality that allows him to win. Same with Bill Walsh, who never played a down in the NFL and was a TE/DE in college (SJSU).

Some coaches are just winners; they know how to get the best out of people and come up with a system that works, regardless of what pro position they played (or even if they played pro ball at all). And some don't. Simple as that.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
We got better QB play no doubt, but it was more about efficiency (less turnovers/mistakes) then overwhelming production from that position. Which means, we relied more heavily on a great defense that created turnovers like crazy, special teams that constantly tilted the field in our favor and a decent enough running game more so than explosive QB play.

Point being, Harbaugh's experience as a pro QB helped (no doubt, of course), but it's not like THAT fact alone (or that aspect of the team) made this season the success that it was. IMO, if Harbaugh had the same experience as Schiano he would STILL be successful, because it's his overall approach/mentality that allows him to win. Same with Bill Walsh, who never played a down in the NFL and was a TE/DE in college (SJSU).

Some coaches are just winners; they know how to get the best out of people and come up with a system that works, regardless of what pro position they played (or even if they played pro ball at all). And some don't. Simple as that.

Fist time scoring over 350 points since 2003. Went from 24th in points to 11th. Not saying the defense isnt great, it is, but if Alex plays like last year we aren't 13-3. There is a reason Nick Saban is probably the best college coach in the last 30 years but couldn't make it in the NFL. Steve Spurrier is another coach much better then Schiano and he couldn't make it in the NFL. Bobby Petrino couldn't wait to get out of the NFL when he coached Atlanta.

Fist time scoring over 350 points since 2003. Went from 24th in points to 11th. Not saying the defense isnt great, it is, but if Alex plays like last year we aren't 13-3. There is a reason Nick Saban is probably the best college coach in the last 30 years but couldn't make it in the NFL. Steve Spurrier is another coach much better then Schiano and he couldn't make it in the NFL. Bobby Petrino couldn't wait to get out of the NFL when he coached Atlanta.

We're talking about different things here. Yes, some coaches are better suited to college and can ONLY win there (for whatever reasons). And yes, our scoring improved for a variety of reasons, some of which was directly related to better QB play and some not (better overall field position, increased turnovers=more possessions, higher field goal percentage, etc.). But that wasn't what I was commenting on.

I was addressing the issue/comment of Harbaugh's experience as a pro QB being the "x-factor" that (as you claim) allowed us to advance to the NFC Championship game. I'm saying, if that particular expertise was the main reason, it definitely didn't stand out this year more so than other aspects of this team. We didn't win because our QB play was head and shoulders above other teams (it was efficient, but it was only mildly productive most of the year in comparison to the rest of the league).

We won because of Jim's OVERALL approach to coaching football, which in my mind, has more to do with his father's teachings/philosophy/way of life than anything Jim did or learned as a QB. IMO, Jim could've been a WR, RB or punter (or never played in the NFL at all, like his brother) and he would still be a winning NFL head coach. His x-factor has little to do with the position he played and more about who he is as a person. That was the statement I was addressing.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 26, 2012 at 2:11 PM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
We're talking about different things here. Yes, some coaches are better suited to college and can ONLY win there (for whatever reasons). And yes, our scoring improved for a variety of reasons, some of which was directly related to better QB play and some not (better overall field position, increased turnovers=more possessions, higher field goal percentage, etc.). But that wasn't what I was commenting on.

I was addressing the issue/comment of Harbaugh's experience as a pro QB being the "x-factor" that (as you claim) allowed us to advance to the NFC Championship game. I'm saying, if that particular expertise was the main reason, it definitely didn't stand out this year more so than other aspects of this team. We didn't win because our QB play was head and shoulders above other teams (it was efficient, but it was only mildly productive most of the year in comparison to the rest of the league).

We won because of Jim's OVERALL approach to coaching football, which in my mind, has more to do with his father's teachings/philosophy/way of life than anything Jim did or learned as a QB. IMO, Jim could've been a WR, RB or punter (or never played in the NFL at all, like his brother) and he would still be a winning NFL head coach. His x-factor has little to do with the position he played and more about who he is as a person. That was the statement I was addressing.

We didn't go 13-3 because Harbaugh was an NFL QB. Harbaugh being a QB meant he had instant credibility with the players, Singletary had the same thing before the players realized he had no clue how to coach. Also most college coaches are dictators/CEO types and that doesn't really work to well in the NFL. As a former player he knew what would work with NFL players, that is something most college coaches never figure out because what worked for them in college and made them superstar coaches doesn't work with million dollar players. Harbaugh is the exception to the rule.
[ Edited by Jcool on Jan 26, 2012 at 5:17 PM ]
  • Paul
  • Veteran
how the hell does Alex Smith make it into this thread?
  • GEEK
  • Veteran

We didn't go 13-3 because Harbaugh was an NFL QB. Harbaugh being a QB meant he had instant credibility with the players, Singletary had the same thing before the players realized he had no clue how to coach. Also most college coaches are dictators/CEO types and that doesn't really work to well in the NFL. As a former player he knew what would work with NFL players, that is something most college coaches never figure out because what worked for them in college and made them superstar coaches doesn't work with million dollar players. Harbaugh is the exception to the rule.

Great debate back and forth...but let me say this: If Alex Smith minimized mistakes and consistently made clutch throws (Saints, Lions, Eagles, etc) in 2011 under Harbaugh's direction, let's see what he can do next year with CONTINUITY in the coaching staff across the board and more play makers in the offense.
Originally posted by PTulini:
@AdamSchefter: Not the first time this off-season Greg Schiano interviewed with NFL team. Sources say he was a finalist for Rams HC job.

So was Dennis Allen.

• Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Gentlemen, this discussion should be moved to the Alex Smith thread (pick one). Please leave this thread for discussing head coaching changes.
So what team still has a head coaching vacancy
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:

They're all filled.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:

They're all filled.

Lol
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/27/raiders-finally-announce-the-hiring-of-dennis-allen/
Share 49ersWebzone