LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

"The Chargers have 10 times more talent than the 49ers."

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by elbolitas49ers:
Niners 7-1 Chargers 4-5 enough said!

Yeah but they don't believe it. They think it's just a slump like the Chargers always do.

Their annual slump/implosion/call it what you will. I like Norv and I think he is a really good OC, but how much more of this before SD realise that he is not a HC?
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by elbolitas49ers:
Niners 7-1 Chargers 4-5 enough said!

Yeah but they don't believe it. They think it's just a slump like the Chargers always do.

Their annual slump/implosion/call it what you will. I like Norv and I think he is a really good OC, but how much more of this before SD realise that he is not a HC?

He's not a good HC and never has been. He's been a good OC though.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
My brother's a Charger fan. He and I don't see eye to eye on much. Lately his son has been really sick (leukemia) so I haven't said anything about the Chargers, and actually hope they win whoever they play (except us) so he feels better.So the fact that they are playing poorly right now isn't good.

On the flip side, after the induction chemo, my nephew has early remiision...that's all that matters. But feeling so bad for my brother, I've been wishing the Chargers well silently also.
[ Edited by kray28 on Nov 13, 2011 at 9:40 AM ]
Originally posted by kray28:
My brother's a Charger fan. He and I don't see eye to eye on much. Lately his son has been really sick (leukemia) so I haven't said anything about the Chargers, and actually hope they win whoever they play (except us) so he feels better.So the fact that they are playing poorly right now isn't good.

On the flip side, after the induction chemo, my nephew has early remiision...that's all that matters. But feeling so bad for my brother, I've been wishing the Chargers well silently also.

sheesh.
I'm so sorry to hear all of that.
Well not anymore I'd say.
Interesting thoughts about the Chargers and their struggles, especially on the defense:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/11/14/shorts-and-shells-week-10

This part is especially interesting, as it contains something about our former defensive coordinator, Greg Manusky (emphasis mine):

One is the defense. What has happened to this group? The secondary is a mess, the linebackers are not playmakers and the defensive line is inconsistent at best. Can we say that Greg Manusky has struggled to coordinate this group?

Last season, Ron Rivera led this group, which is mostly the same players from a season ago, to a No. 1 ranking in yards allowed, fourth in rushing yards allowed, first in passing yards allowed, second in sacks, fourth in opponents' third-down conversions and 10th in points given up.

This season? Manusky's group ranks 10th in yards allowed, 24th in rushing yards allowed, 25th in passing yards per play, 13th in sacks, 32nd in opponents' third-down conversions and 27th in points allowed.

His units struggled statistically during his four seasons in San Francisco, and now replacement Vic Fangio has taken the 49ers and turned them into a viable force in short order. Manusky had a fine playing career, but his record as a coordinator so far has been shaky at best.

Sources say that he has asked the defenders to do things they are not comfortable doing and that he has messed with some players' confidence, especially in the secondary.
Originally posted by NoOffseason:
Interesting thoughts about the Chargers and their struggles, especially on the defense:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/11/14/shorts-and-shells-week-10

This part is especially interesting, as it contains something about our former defensive coordinator, Greg Manusky (emphasis mine):

Quote:
One is the defense. What has happened to this group? The secondary is a mess, the linebackers are not playmakers and the defensive line is inconsistent at best. Can we say that Greg Manusky has struggled to coordinate this group?

Last season, Ron Rivera led this group, which is mostly the same players from a season ago, to a No. 1 ranking in yards allowed, fourth in rushing yards allowed, first in passing yards allowed, second in sacks, fourth in opponents' third-down conversions and 10th in points given up.

This season? Manusky's group ranks 10th in yards allowed, 24th in rushing yards allowed, 25th in passing yards per play, 13th in sacks, 32nd in opponents' third-down conversions and 27th in points allowed.

His units struggled statistically during his four seasons in San Francisco, and now replacement Vic Fangio has taken the 49ers and turned them into a viable force in short order. Manusky had a fine playing career, but his record as a coordinator so far has been shaky at best.

Sources say that he has asked the defenders to do things they are not comfortable doing and that he has messed with some players' confidence, especially in the secondary.

Manusky is like a clean version of rob ryan, overrated
  • kray28
  • Veteran
So Manusky was the problem all along. Who knew? He got so much hype and love here.
Charger fans are funny!
  • dwett
  • Veteran
Well not anymore I'd say.

Most has been said but would add that the lose of Sproles has had a much bigger impact than I think they thought it would. Rivers seems to be missing that check down play maker he has had in the past (Going back to LT) and thus his numbers have suffered. Got to say one of the best FA acquisitions this year has been Sproles by the Saints and it also has to be one of the worst FA loses.

Chargers have very little talent in my opinion and Rivers was sort of driving that ship with Sproles' help. Now that Rivers is sucking, it's all falling apart. Who's taken over for Merriman, Williams, Cromartie, LT/Turner? That O-line was never that great to begin with even when the Chargers were at their peak.
Originally posted by dhp318:
Chargers have very little talent in my opinion and Rivers was sort of driving that ship with Sproles' help. Now that Rivers is sucking, it's all falling apart. Who's taken over for Merriman, Williams, Cromartie, LT/Turner? That O-line was never that great to begin with even when the Chargers were at their peak.

Yeah they lost a lot of guys. Even more than that as I posted earlier.
  • Sman
I haven't read a post on this thread but, was he talking about 3 years ago?
Originally posted by Sman:
I haven't read a post on this thread but, was he talking about 3 years ago?

3 - 5 years ago I would say yes. Now I would say no.

He was talking now btw.
Share 49ersWebzone