There are 156 users in the forums

Taylor Mays for 2013 7th Round Pick

Shop 49ers game tickets
So, is this thread to talk about the 7th round pick 2 years from (Draft War Room) now or to talk about Taylor Mays (NFL Talk)?

Either of those conversations do not belong in Niners Talk.
To Mays' credit Collins threw that pass abso perfect.
Originally posted by dj43:
Do you kids REALLY enjoy this little dance?

I have to break the monotony at work somehow . That and the unintentional comedy is through the roof when it comes to his posts.
I also don't think it is really a dance since he never responds to me
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Sep 2, 2011 at 1:08 PM ]
  • kray28
  • Veteran
If this deal is true (and I suspect it is), all I can do is shake my head at Baalke's stupidity. Mays is much better than he's given credit for, and I strongly believe that he's the type of player that you invest coaching into because his upside is so great.

The 49ers barely giving Mays a chance and quitting on him before he even really had a chance to prove anything is a good example of why this organization sucks balls. They don't develop players, cut and trade ones which have talent and potential, and hang onto the garbage instead. Even when they do hang onto players, they don't give them a stable development environment and saddle them with crap coaching. multiple systems every year in a constant revolving door of mediocrity.

Good example would be resigning Goldson....LOL. Somehow signing Goldson and bringing him back is supposed to be a solid move, but trading away your first year second round pick for peanuts is no big deal. He was easily one of the league's worst safeties last year, and then somehow developed this notion that he deserved to get paid. When no one showed even a hint of interest, he came back for peanuts, and the Niner front office thinks they won something there. Clue to Baalke, when the rest of the league doesn't even care enough to give Goldson even a vet min deal, it's a strong indicator that he's garbage.
Honestly, it wouldn't be all that shocking if Mays gets cut by the Bengals today...
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by captveg:
Honestly, it wouldn't be all that shocking if Mays gets cut by the Bengals today...

Sure, the Bengals have little to lose in the deal. Developing talent requires investment of resources, and many teams won't commit that. And ti's a good reason why many teams suck.

Wouldn't surprise me if in the end, Mays ends up in Seattle with Carroll.
[ Edited by kray28 on Sep 3, 2011 at 10:09 AM ]
I'd rather get a 7th rounder now rather than have him take a roster spot for a year and just cut him next year. This years fringe players competing for a roster spot is pretty good and I would hate to miss out on one of those guys by fruit to keep mays
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
I'd rather get a 7th rounder now rather than have him take a roster spot for a year and just cut him next year. This years fringe players competing for a roster spot is pretty good and I would hate to miss out on one of those guys by fruit to keep mays

You aren't getting a 7th rounder now, you're getting one in two years. I'm just waiting with baited breath and anticipation for that fateful day in April 2013 when Baalke drafts the next Billy Bajema.

When you sink the opportunity cost of a high second rounder onto Taylor Mays, you make a commitment to maximize that investment. An exception would be if the player has character issues...then I could understand wanting to jettison him. But based on what I know about him, he was a hard worker and enthusiastic to be successful. He should have been easy to coach and develop. Instead, it seems like he was marked for termination a priori by Baalke.
[ Edited by kray28 on Sep 3, 2011 at 10:24 AM ]
Oh yes Mays was highly thougt ofby the rest of the league. The 2013 7th rounder just proves that.
Originally posted by crabman82:
but when u include his brain and instincts it goes down to a 7th rounder, i dont get the big deal here, once it was announced as an undisclosed draft pick, it was gonna be either a 6th at best but probably a 7th

Considering no other teams were knocking down our door to get this guy, I agree. People do not realize how low Mays stock is.

Originally posted by 24plus25er:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
if mays was a baalke pick then he wouldn't have given up on him so fast...understand? no, probably not.

What is so hard to understand when Mike Maiocco states that TRENT BAALKE HAD THE LAST WORD IN THE DRAFT!!!!

Translation: HE HAD THE LAST WORD IN THE DRAFT!!! He is accountable for the players selected, whether he liked them or not.

Just because Maiocco said it does not make this 100% true. There is always some give and and take between GM's and Coaches.

If he had the last word he had the last word! Stop making BaalkEXCUSES!

Did anybody see him get exposed a couple of nights ago.....looks like whatever team hes on he still gets lost in coverage and doesnt turn his head around to track the ball.....good job on trading this guy.....nomatter what we got....
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Did he make the bengals roster ?
Originally posted by susweel:

Yes. Also he in contention to start. He had a good finale preseason game. They said they would use him much diffently then the 49ers.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by GoGetit:
Originally posted by susweel:

Yes. Also he in contention to start. He had a good finale preseason game. They said they would use him much diffently then the 49ers.

Id rather have him over Collin Jones.
Share 49ersWebzone