LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

Taylor Mays for 2013 7th Round Pick

Shop 49ers game tickets
Glad we got something for him and didn't just cut him
Originally posted by tohara3:
Glad we got something for him and didn't just cut him

Wonder what the effect on cap is trading vs releasing.
Originally posted by fly15:
we will regret it, Mays never got a real chance

Half the season last year.....thats more chance than most players get....I know I know it was his rookie year but dont you think he would have shown sighns that he was ready for the NFL in that time....or in training camp...? I think this was a good trade especially when he was gonna get cut in the first place.
Why not do the same with Alex smith?
I have a few observations and questions here, let's start with the questions: A. Does trading Mays instead of cutting him save us from taking a cap hit? B. Is this a reflection on how bad Taylor's mental skills are, or were JH's rep for being able to coach players up overrated?

Observations: Mays for his speed and physical skills was worth wayyyy more than a 7th round pick to us. Special teams at times can be severely under rated. It really puzzles me that Mays would be out of SF so fast after we spent a 2 on him. You bring a guy like Jim in because he can coach guys up and then you cut a guy with Taylor's potential before we even play one pre-season game?
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
I have a few observations and questions here, let's start with the questions: A. Does trading Mays instead of cutting him save us from taking a cap hit? B. Is this a reflection on how bad Taylor's mental skills are, or were JH's rep for being able to coach players up overrated?

Observations: Mays for his speed and physical skills was worth wayyyy more than a 7th round pick to us. Special teams at times can be severely under rated. It really puzzles me that Mays would be out of SF so fast after we spent a 2 on him. You bring a guy like Jim in because he can coach guys up and then you cut a guy with Taylor's potential before we even play one pre-season game?
It is clear that you feel that Mays had "potential". Harbaugh, and company, did not have that same view. Mays is now gone from the Niners, and we got something for him rather than to release him outright. So I am happy for us and happy for Mays that he gets another shot.
sweet! Then we can draft another player next year who will probably get cut.
For the comp we got we might as well kept his ass on the scout team.......
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by backontop:

Exactly.

Baalke you bonehead.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

If we cut alex right now we would be screwed..

we can just trade our mays 7th for Claussen.
[ Edited by unst4bl3 on Aug 30, 2011 at 10:36 PM ]

gotta admit this pick had Sing written all over it
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

If we cut alex right now we would be screwed..

we can just trade our mays 7th for Claussen.
Why would we do that? We already have 3 a group of QB's that can't do anything behind the swiss cheese OLine we have.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Exactly.

Baalke you bonehead.

This
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
For the comp we got we might as well kept his ass on the scout team.......

we might as well have traded him to the raiders. al davis would have thrown us a 4th rounder
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Exactly.

Baalke you bonehead.

This

better than nuttin'
Share 49ersWebzone