There are 247 users in the forums

Glenn Coffee says NFL ruins lives...

Shop 49ers game tickets
doucher
After reading the article and reading through this thread I have........

More understanding and respect for Glen Coffee and way less respect for most people who responded in this thread.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by natrone06:

More understanding and respect for Glen Coffee and way less respect for most people who responded in this thread.

Nobody cares what you think.
  • titan
  • Veteran

I think I got it! Find the exact same job with a different company for less money and it will make me a better person!?
Originally posted by susweel:

Nobody cares what you think.

Originally posted by titan:

I think I got it! Find the exact same job with a different company for less money and it will make me a better person!?

If it makes you happy why not?

I guess you guys all had life figured out by your early twenties. Im sure if we put a microscope up to your lives and the decisions you've made you would be beyond reproach.

Coffees clearly a young guy trying to figure out exactly who he is. Hes thoughtful, introspective, confused and probably a little naive. He left the 49ers because his heart wasn't in it. Hes back in football because of the reality that money although not everything is an important aspect of American life.

In terms of a quality individual Ill take a guy like Coffee 10x out of 10 over some dude that just lobs insults over the internet. I understand the passion we have for the 49ers and how upsetting it is to waste a 3rd rounder but this isn't madden. This is a real mans life that we should try to understand before we judge so harshly.

Just my 2 cents.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ice_Deep:
Nothing wrong with quitting a job you don't like (I quit a good paying govt job), but last I checked he didn't say "I have returned all the signing bonus I received from the 49ers" No he said "No comment" because he has no morals, and is holding the cash and has lawyered up to keep it I am sure. Its easy to say I don't want to do it and I don't need the money when you took what 1/2 a million or more to sign and then not fulfill the contract nor return the money?

So he took the money and ran because he doesn't want to work, he wants to preach which garners him 0 respect in my eyes. Ditch diggers, or janitors have a better job.

Coffee's signing bonus was spread out over the 4 years of contract and the team is entitled to recoup 600 000$ of the 800 000$ that was agreed upon. Again another poster assuming negatives on the kid. If the team wants to recoup some of it any lawyer will tell you that they will get some of that signing bonus back because Coffee chose to retire from professional football.

If preaching is what he wants to do then there is nothing wrong with that nor should he lose someones respect for wanting to do something he believes in. I am not religious but I respect Coffee for wanting to do something that he is passionate about.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by Ice_Deep:
Nothing wrong with quitting a job you don't like (I quit a good paying govt job), but last I checked he didn't say "I have returned all the signing bonus I received from the 49ers" No he said "No comment" because he has no morals, and is holding the cash and has lawyered up to keep it I am sure. Its easy to say I don't want to do it and I don't need the money when you took what 1/2 a million or more to sign and then not fulfill the contract nor return the money?

So he took the money and ran because he doesn't want to work, he wants to preach which garners him 0 respect in my eyes. Ditch diggers, or janitors have a better job.

Coffee's signing bonus was spread out over the 4 years of contract and the team is entitled to recoup 600 000$ of the 800 000$ that was agreed upon. Again another poster assuming negatives on the kid. If the team wants to recoup some of it any lawyer will tell you that they will get some of that signing bonus back because Coffee chose to retire from professional football.

If preaching is what he wants to do then there is nothing wrong with that nor should he lose someones respect for wanting to do something he believes in. I am not religious but I respect Coffee for wanting to do something that he is passionate about.

Dude wants a life where he goes out and plays and then once he's done playing, he hangs out with his family. Nothing wrong with that. In the NFL, he may still be with his family but he would not be living the same life as he loved while growing up. I think some of us would all like to have what we had growing up.
  • Silky
  • Veteran
Originally posted by skynet907:
he sure is in the media a lot lately. must be strapped for cash. If he's that desperate for cash he should earn it by talking about thinking about being a quitter and leaving your team hangin, and the financial impact that decision will have on your life. But good for you Glenn! tell us about how happy you are hangin out with Jesus not playing football!

He had good reason to quit the team. Singletary was coach. His wooden cross drove him to jesus
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
It's refreshing to hear about someone NOT chasing money. The rest.. he doesn't seem very bright, but it's very rare to hear about anyone in this day and age that doesn't see money as the end all be all.
Mehh I got something worse than the NFL

drop it already. the guy quit. thats what he felt in his heart he had to do. its pretty huge to turn down a life of money and women to do what was in his heart. good for him. am i pissed we wasted a pretty high pick on him? a little but still, its probably better not to have him than to have a guy that wasnt all in. and we have had busts in the 1st round so a 3rd rounder not turning out is no big deal. time to move on.
Originally posted by Paul:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
i think everyone at the zone is really overeacting to this player. You hear about NFL guys not spending their money wisely or getting in too deep in debt or whatever, some are just better at managing things than others. Move on

What does spending money have to do with this quitter?

I'm saying Coffee is saying how the NFL ruins lives, and it can.. when guys get the money and blow it all then end up with nothing

That isn't the NFL ruining lives, that is the players' own immaturity and irresponsibility.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
i think everyone at the zone is really overeacting to this player. You hear about NFL guys not spending their money wisely or getting in too deep in debt or whatever, some are just better at managing things than others. Move on

What does spending money have to do with this quitter?

I'm saying Coffee is saying how the NFL ruins lives, and it can.. when guys get the money and blow it all then end up with nothing

That isn't the NFL ruining lives, that is the players' own immaturity and irresponsibility.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by sf49ersx11:

• Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by sf49ersx11:

Yeah those waves could kill someone.
Share 49ersWebzone