There are 138 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

football players=slaves??

adrian peterson thinks so.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Adrian-Peterson-expresses-frustration-on-labor-i?urn=nfl-wp206

SC: It's nothing that I haven't heard from other players, believe me.

AP: It's modern-day slavery, you know? People kind of laugh at that, but there are people working at regular jobs who get treated the same way, too. With all the money … the owners are trying to get a different percentage, and bring in more money. I understand that; these are business-minded people. Of course this is what they are going to want to do. I understand that; it's how they got to where they are now. But as players, we have to stand our ground and say, 'Hey — without us, there's no football.' There are so many different perspectives from different players, and obviously we're not all on the same page — I don't know. I don't really see this going to where we'll be without football for a long time; there's too much money lost for the owners. Eventually, I feel that we'll get something done.

But this crazy idea about an 18-game season … I'm sure they want more entertainment and more revenue, but we're not going to see a pinch of that (the increased revenue), and it's just the business we're in.

[ Edited by Snider8706 on Mar 15, 2011 at 14:50:45 ]
I dont think slaves got paid millions of dollars
worst comment ever

owners are sitting back and laughing at players s**t all over themselves
Originally posted by valrod33:
I dont think slaves got paid millions of dollars
40 million dollar slaves (book review)

i haven't read this book yet, so i'm not sure how convincing the argument is or whatever, and I don't actually think this has any direct relationship to AP's statement, just pointing out that its not a totally "random" idea.

anyway, its not a good, from a PR standpoint, to use that kind of "charged language," especially when the average fan thinks players are overpaid millionaires and probably thinks that the players are somehow being greedy in this CBA dispute.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Lol, ok.
Originally posted by Chief:
Lol, ok.
rasheed wallace said pretty much the same thing when he was with Portland, back in 2003 i think. Stern suspended him like 5 games
I just heard that AP is scheduled to make 10 mill next year.

What is AP's agent thinking now?
  • Amir
  • Veteran
Really?? Comparing million dollar athletes to slaves??
Originally posted by CoachingMatters:
Originally posted by Chief:
Lol, ok.
If a white guy had said this he would get vilified.
I want to be a slave.
Originally posted by Overkill:
I want to be a slave.

you can be my sex slave
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home