There are 229 users in the forums

football players=slaves??

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by valrod33:
I dont think slaves got paid millions of dollars
Originally posted by HessianDud:
its a dumb thing to say, but i think its pretty obvious that he means "slavery" in that the players do "all" the work and have no control over the business (and are "owned" by a group of people who make all the decisions). He's not talking about working for nothing and being whipped and raped and forced to breed. Again, dumb thing to say, and not really the kind of thing that the players need at the moment, but I don't think there's any need to react emotionally to it.

It's a retarded statement in any context. I'm not aware of any labor union representing the rights of slaves. To imply the have no control over business, like a slave, isn't even close to being accurate. They have a union that negotiates the powers of those owners. They're not going to have to play 18 games unless their union gives to go ahead. The reason we have free agency is because their union fought for it and won.

I don't blame the players for this mess. Any labor union will fight a billion dollar pay decrease to the last second, but this is why no one ever sides with the players. Owners stay hidden, while players make complete jack@sses of themselves.
i understand what he meant just very poor choice of words
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by jreff22:

You guys are crazy.

I know slaves didn't get paid millions of dollars.
Slavery?

Well if he doesn't like it, he should walk away from the game and join the real world.- I don't think slaves had that option.

He has gotten paid and will get paid millions more, no matter what the CBA looks like- Slaves never received compensation for their work.

No football without the players?

I'm sorry but I can think of about 300,000,000 people who would play a "game" for the league minimum any day of the week.

I’m sorry but I have no sympathy for the player’s plight. Yes, football is a rough business. Yes, it is dangerous, Yes, the average currier is short.

But that’s why they get paid more for a signing bonus that most people get paid in their entire lives. That’s why their salaries are so high.

There are plenty of jobs that real people work that are dangerous, have lasting physical impacts and that frankly do more for our society than the “game” that they play for “entertainment.”
-I usually side on the side of labor but, there a plenty of people that would kill to have a job of any kind right now. It’s definitely not the time for the players union to be crying over this stuff.

A note to professional athletes, be happy with what you have and stop crying. You don’t have it too bad.
ok AP i like u as a football player but ur not very bright footballl players who sometimes are dumb fat get paid 50 millions of dollars in 5 years thats more than people like doctors lawyers etc who have studied for 12 years of life they are no way closely resemble slaves
Originally posted by English:
its a dumb thing to say, but i think its pretty obvious that he means "slavery" in that the players do "all" the work and have no control over the business (and are "owned" by a group of people who make all the decisions). He's not talking about working for nothing and being whipped and raped and forced to breed. Again, dumb thing to say, and not really the kind of thing that the players need at the moment, but I don't think there's any need to react emotionally to it.

A) he has no idea

B) he is whinging because, like millions of other employees, he has to do what he is told.

I generally side with the players but he needs to stfu

oh, i'm sure he has no idea. but its one poorly chosen word in an interview, its not like he went on and on about it. and we both know that "being told what to do" is a little different in a normal job than in the NFL.

This is the first thing I thought of when I read it. I also like the comment where he feels players are being "ripped off". What a f**king joke! Isn't the minimum non-star player wage somewhere in the $200k/year range?

I don't give a s**t how much the owners are making. Its their business and they should be interested in being as profitable as possible. I think it would be absurd for me to go to my boss and say I need more of the companies cut because it is more profitable.

The players need a f**king reality check and need to come down to our world in its current economic s**t-hole that we are in. They will quickly realize they should be grateful for what they have.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
ok AP i like u as a football player but ur not very bright footballl players who sometimes are dumb fat get paid 50 millions of dollars in 5 years thats more than people like doctors lawyers etc who have studied for 12 years of life they are no way closely resemble slaves

I don't know of many doctors or lawyers who make 10 million/ year.

Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:

This is the first thing I thought of when I read it. I also like the comment where he feels players are being "ripped off". What a f**king joke! Isn't the minimum non-star player wage somewhere in the $200k/year range?

I don't give a s**t how much the owners are making. Its their business and they should be interested in being as profitable as possible. I think it would be absurd for me to go to my boss and say I need more of the companies cut because it is more profitable.

The players need a f**king reality check and need to come down to our world in its current economic s**t-hole that we are in. They will quickly realize they should be grateful for what they have.

the owners aren't being unrealistic about the economic s**thole that we're in? They seem to believe they are entitled to make a record profit every year no matter what and that when they don't they are "hurting."
Originally posted by jreff22:

the owners aren't being unrealistic about the economic s**thole that we're in? They seem to believe they are entitled to make a record profit every year no matter what and that when they don't they are "hurting."

This is America. They are entitled to do whatever the f**k they want to get as rich as possible. So am I and so are you. God bless America.

This is America. They are entitled to do whatever the f**k they want to get as rich as possible. So am I and so are you. God bless America.

its a nice sentiment, but not really how it works (Bernie Madoff is the first example to pop into my head). But sure, I can agree with you in general terms, but that would include the players, too, doing "whatever the f**k they want to get as rich as possible." No?
I think he meant to say wives
Share 49ersWebzone