LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 348 users in the forums

Who is the best fit for our Niners at QB?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Michael Vick, Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger, etc.
Originally posted by Chief:
Originally posted by Chief:
Originally posted by bigginz54:
trade 2nd round pick for Kolb( I dont think eagles would give up less then that) and draft ricky stanzi in 4th round

Kolb

f**king iPhone.

Kolb is an overrated media boy, do not want.

would you rather take josh johnson? or reach for someone in the draft like locker or Mallet (not with our no.7 pick, either trade back or somehow obtain, via trade, a late 1st round pick)
[ Edited by bigginz54 on Mar 2, 2011 at 11:35 PM ]

The boy can play
[ Edited by 49erAllTheWay on Mar 3, 2011 at 12:36 AM ]
Anybody but "The Bust", #11.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I've told you guys before..

Harbaugh is just tryin to sign Alex Smith because he knows as long as he's our QB, then we'll get a shot at drafting Andrew Luck next year..

About Palmer and the WCO, he played under the WCO offense at USC in his first 2 years.. It was under Paul Hackett.. so do not worry about Palmer learning the WCO.. We need to find a way to trade for this guy instead of drafting some project in the 3rd round.. if that's the case, then we can afford to give up a 2nd round for this guy.. because no matter who we draft in the 3rd, im 110% that he wont be better than Palmer in the next 3 years.
This is the order:

Kolb, Palmer, Smith, Carr

The thing to remember is that with the possible exception of Kolb, all of these quarterbacks would be considered "stop-gaps" for the QB of the future that Harbaugh drafts this year or next.

With all of the uncertainty surrounding the CBA, teams that have continuity and stability are in the best position. We have the triple whammy (new coach, new offensive system, new quarterback) to contend with.

Kolb would deliver a degree of continuity with his experience in the WCO.

BTW, I could easily see Bradford regressing this year trying to pick up McDaniels' offense in a shortened off-season.
Originally posted by fakers23:
Originally posted by jones49:
Originally posted by fakers23:
I would be fine with Kolb,McNabb,or Palmer... Anyone but number 11 and I be happy.. That's all I will say on this matter. lol

This except McNabb makes me nervous after his 2010 campaign.

It was one bad year... "Bites his tongue" I would agree with you if he has a pattern of bad years,but I believe McNabb on the right team can be decent for a year and that's all the 49ers are asking for..

He may not have shown a habit of bad years, but he has shown a pattern of choking in big games. So I'd hate for us to actually be in position to have a big game, and have to watch McFlab blow it for us. Personally, I don't like him either. I saw a thing on ESPN a few years ago about the stigma of the black QB. McNaab was whining and crying about all the pressure with being a black QB. Then they asked a rookie Vince Young, and he scoffed saying there was pressure on any QB and race had nothing to do with it. I would be VERY disappointed if McNaab came here.
It seems nobody remembers this game. I always wonder if it was because only NFL Network aired this game on a Thursday night.

I can't find highlights of the game (Thursday night, Dec. 14th, 2006; NFL Network...), but since you asked: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200612140sea.htm
That is a link to the boxscore.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sea/

As you will see (by following the above link) the Seahawks were at the end of a 5-year playoff run under Mike Holmgren (indicated by asterisks next to the season year), including a Superbowl.

So, yes, Alex Smith has beaten a playoff-caliber team. On the road (Qwest Field), in a nationally-aired game.

Anyone who watched that game will remember the pass to Frank Gore in the 4th Quarter when Alex Smith could have hit a streaking Antonio Bryant in the corner of the end-zone but threw a touch pass to Frank Gore for a touchdown - making it a two possession game.

That was my favorite game of the past 8 years, the interview after was good as well, Gore was pumped and the team showed legitimate poise and promise with Turner as the OC.

---
edit: Alex Smith of 2006 was a long time ago, but he HAS succeeded in big games in the NFL. Go back to 2006 again and the Denver game was big also. In THAT game, we played spoiler and ended the Bronco's season - they would have gone to the playoffs had they beaten us the final week.
If it came down to Smith, Carr or Stanzi/Ponder/Dalton (which it could - pending no CBA until late, late, late, late, LATE summer), who would you choose?
[ Edited by DertyDonahue on Mar 3, 2011 at 10:17 AM ]
I would take a shot with Palmer but not for a #1 pick. Otherwise I would like Kyle Orton. I bet we could get him for a 2nd or 3rd round pick and I think while he is not great he could be a really good west coast QB.
Originally posted by DertyDonahue:
It seems nobody remembers this game. I always wonder if it was because only NFL Network aired this game on a Thursday night.

I can't find highlights of the game (Thursday night, Dec. 14th, 2006; NFL Network...), but since you asked: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200612140sea.htm

As you will see (by following the above link) the Seahawks were at the end of a 5-year playoff run under Mike Holmgren (indicated by asterisks next to the season year), including a Superbowl.

So, yes, Alex Smith has beaten a playoff-caliber team. On the road (Qwest Field), on a nationally covered game.

Anyone who watched that game will remember the pass to Frank Gore in the 4th Quarter when Alex Smith could have hit a streaking Antonio Bryant in the corner of the end-zone but threw a touch pass to Frank Gore for a touchdown - making it a two possession game.

That was my favorite game of the past 8 years, the interview after was good as well, Gore was pumped and the team showed legitimate poise and promise with Turner as the OC.

---
edit: Alex Smith of 2006 was a long time ago, but he HAS succeeded in big games in the NFL. Go back to 2006 again and the Denver game was big also. In THAT game, we played spoiler and ended the Bronco's season - they would have gone to the playoffs had they beaten us the final week.
If it came down to Smith, Carr or Stanzi/Ponder/Dalton (which it could - pending no CBA until late, , late, late summer), who would you choose?

After playing close to 60 games...if you can count a QB's "big game" performances on 2 fingers...there's a problem. We've never even seen this guy in the playoffs....LOL. Regular season games with nothing on the line against average teams are not big games.

The bar has been set so low for this guy its despicable.

Originally posted by JBatta49erfansince81:
I would take a shot with Palmer but not for a #1 pick. Otherwise I would like Kyle Orton. I bet we could get him for a 2nd or 3rd round pick and I think while he is not great he could be a really good west coast QB.

I like Orton as a temporary solution but not for anything more than a late 3rd rounder, I don't know what kind of money he gets either...

So, yes, Alex Smith has beaten a playoff-caliber team. On the road (Qwest Field), in a nationally-aired game.

---
If it came down to Smith, Carr or Stanzi/Ponder/Dalton (which it could - pending no CBA until late, late, late, late, LATE summer), who would you choose?

PONDER !!!
Originally posted by JayBee:

So, yes, Alex Smith has beaten a playoff-caliber team. On the road (Qwest Field), on a nationally covered game.

---
If it came down to Smith, Carr or Stanzi/Ponder/Dalton (which it could - pending no CBA until late, , late, late summer), who would you choose?

After playing close to 60 games...if you can count a QB's "big game" performances on 2 fingers...there's a problem. We've never even seen this guy in the playoffs....LOL. Regular season games with nothing on the line against average teams are not big games.

The bar has been set so low for this guy its despicable.

Hey, if you don't think those games meant anything, then that is like, um, an opinion, and stuff.
Go ask Jay Cutler or Jake Plummer if that game meant anything to them, and you will, like, get an answer.
Originally posted by 9ernick:

---

PONDER !!!

I hope we draft him as long as it isn't a reach. I still don't want to throw him into the fire though. We need a vet to start. IMO Ponder, or whatever QB the niners draft will be a potential bargaining chip if we try to get Luck next year.
Who knows, Luck may take a Locker-esque fall in value if he has a rough year at the Farm next year...
Anyone but Alexi Smith.
Share 49ersWebzone