LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 248 users in the forums

CBA Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by valrod33:
AdamSchefter

As @MarkMaske reported, Federal mediator George Cohen invited NFL and NFLPA to meet and to try to help broker deal. First meeting Friday.

Adam Schefter AdamSchefter

NFLPA statement: "We hope that this renewed effort, through mediation, will help the players and owners reach a successful deal."

suggestions, recommendations. But he has no authorithy to impose settlements. Still up to NFL/NFLPA.

http://views.washingtonpost.com/theleague/nflnewsfeed/2011/02/nfl-union-agree-to-federal-mediation.html

I think it's a good sign . . . we'll see.

That would be sick if they got something done. I'll believe it when I see it though.
Source: Union and League agree to seven straight days of negotiations

Quote:
Source: Union and league agree to seven straight days of negotiations
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 17, 2011, 6:37 PM EST

After a week without communication, the NFL and NFLPA have agreed to do nothing but talk for a week.

A league source tells PFT that the league and union have agreed to seven straight days of negotiations. This development was said in a conference call with agents. The seven straight days will kick off Friday.

Thursday included two tiny steps forward for everyone hoping for a resolution by early March. The two sides agreed to federal mediation and now have agreed to the kind of sustained discussions necessary to get a deal done.

It’s a start.
Adam Schefter: The March 3 league meeting scheduled for Fort Lauderdale has been changed to March 2 at a hotel near Washington Dulles.
Originally posted by PTulini:

Quote:

After a week without communication, the NFL and NFLPA have agreed to do nothing but talk for a week.

A league source tells PFT that the league and union have agreed to seven straight days of negotiations. This development was said in a conference call with agents. The seven straight days will kick off Friday.

Thursday included two tiny steps forward for everyone hoping for a resolution by early March. The two sides agreed to federal mediation and now have agreed to the kind of sustained discussions necessary to get a deal done.

It’s a start.

The mediation is nonbinding. but at least the sides are talking again and the mediator sure can't hurt.
  • buck
  • Veteran
AdamSchefter

As @MarkMaske reported, Federal mediator George Cohen invited NFL and NFLPA to meet and to try to help broker deal. First meeting Friday.

NFLPA statement: "We hope that this renewed effort, through mediation, will help the players and owners reach a successful deal."

suggestions, recommendations. But he has no authorithy to impose settlements. Still up to NFL/NFLPA.

http://views.washingtonpost.com/theleague/nflnewsfeed/2011/02/nfl-union-agree-to-federal-mediation.html

Yes, it is a good signed. As an expert in mediation, he might be able to come up way for the league to play season and continue the talks as the season goes forward.

He should also be able to provide a solid background on the past practice in contract talks on the validity of having the league open the books for union inspection.
Originally posted by buck:
AdamSchefter

Yes, it is a good signed. As an expert in mediation, he might be able to come up way for the league to play season and continue the talks as the season goes forward.

He should also be able to provide a solid background on the past practice in contract talks on the validity of having the league open the books for union inspection.

Union inspection my ass, Thats not good option. Why would the owners ever agree to that. If you want to see someones books look at the packers only make 9 million more and they won the superbowl. I'm sure dallas and that new stadium would be negative 9 million since they floped.. The players just want to see how much money they can take. The owners want to keep as much money as possible and it's better to keep them in the dark to do that!
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
AdamSchefter

Union inspection my ass, Thats not good option. Why would the owners ever agree to that. If you want to see someones books look at the packers only make 9 million more and they won the superbowl. I'm sure dallas and that new stadium would be negative 9 million since they floped.. The players just want to see how much money they can take. The owners want to keep as much money as possible and it's better to keep them in the dark to do that!

if this whole dispute hinges on the owners claim that they are losing too much money, i don't see why they can't open their books to the union in a good faith gesture.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
So let's say there is no season next year, does that year in player's contracts become void or does there contract that runs through 2017 change into a contract that runs through 2018?
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Neither. They need to think about the fans, the real people who make the league.

• dj43
Originally posted by HessianDud:
AdamSchefter

if this whole dispute hinges on the owners claim that they are losing too much money, i don't see why they can't open their books to the union in a good faith gesture.
Couple of thoughts: the union sees capital improvements as an unrealized profit and want it to be included on the profit side. Owners see it as an expense to both remain competitive with other franchises and to support the joint venture of which they are all a part. Hence, it becomes only another point to fight over. Neither side will agree on what they see.

Originally posted by ishkabibel:
Originally posted by PTulini:

Quote:

It’s a start.

The mediation is nonbinding. but at least the sides are talking again and the mediator sure can't hurt.

hopefully the mediator is a nfl fan then hell want to get it done for sure
This whole thing is a mess. I would agree that if we do not see a deal by March 3rd, then we will likely not see one until September. This would truly suck for a first-year head coach... I am curious how free agency will be set up if this is not the case. I am guessing everyone would stay with the respective teams for the year. Or there could be a mad free agency frenzy if a dramatically reduced amount of time...

Either way, I sure hope we don't sacrifice any regular season games.
Originally posted by dj43:
AdamSchefter

Couple of thoughts: the union sees capital improvements as an unrealized profit and want it to be included on the profit side. Owners see it as an expense to both remain competitive with other franchises and to support the joint venture of which they are all a part. Hence, it becomes only another point to fight over. Neither side will agree on what they see.

maybe, but if that happens the onus would be on the owners to explain their position. Both sides are going to have to concede some things, but they're not going to do that unless they're actually talking, and they're not going to be able to have an actual conversation if they're not putting all the information out the on the table. It seems like their unwillingness to open the books is to hide something--which might not be the case, but that's a perception that they are helping to foster.
  • dj43
Originally posted by dj43:
AdamSchefter

maybe, but if that happens the onus would be on the owners to explain their position. Both sides are going to have to concede some things, but they're not going to do that unless they're actually talking, and they're not going to be able to have an actual conversation if they're not putting all the information out the on the table. It seems like their unwillingness to open the books is to hide something--which might not be the case, but that's a perception that they are helping to foster.
I agree the owners might be seen as hiding something but the irreconcilable differences are well know in advance. For that reason, I don't see owners opening their books. It is a smokescreen for both sides.
  • dj43
It would be nice to merge these two CBA threads.
Share 49ersWebzone