LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

CBA Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by Janitor:
DeMaurice Smith is an a*****e. If he wasn't in charge of the Union it might already be over fixed by now.

This.

He definitely is not winning the PR war for the NFLPA. Comes across as an absolute a$$****.

So far, gotta side with the owners overall, although they are a bunch of greedy SOB's as well.

Starting to look ugly.
both sides can go to hell
  • krizay
  • Veteran
I believe the owners are right. But my thing is this. If all 32 owners can't even agree on profit sharing amongst themselves without being greedy. How on god's green earth can they sell that to the rest of teh world that they aren't being greedy. But more importnatly, how can they not agree amongst the 32 of each other but reach agreement with a union representing 1,000+ players?

Small step... Agree on profit sharing with each other.

Big Step.... negoiate with the union.

Without the small step can't even see how the big step gets done.
Originally posted by krizay:
I believe the owners are right. But my thing is this. If all 32 owners can't even agree on profit sharing amongst themselves without being greedy. How on god's green earth can they sell that to the rest of teh world that they aren't being greedy. But more importnatly, how can they not agree amongst the 32 of each other but reach agreement with a union representing 1,000+ players?

i didn't realize there was a profit sharing dispute...?
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HessianDud:

The "big market guys" Dan Snyder's, Jerry Jones' etc..... don't want to equally share their profits with the other owners.

Atleast this is what's been explained to me.
Originally posted by Janitor:
DeMaurice Smith is an a*****e. If he wasn't in charge of the Union it might already be over fixed by now.

Cosigned, I think both sides are wrong(owners are being a little too greedy, but the players are getting too much money at the moment), but this guy is an a*****e and he's screwing things up.

The "big market guys" Dan Snyder's, Jerry Jones' etc..... don't want to equally share their profits with the other owners.

i could see that, but is it part of this negotiation?
The only thing I side with the owners on is the rookie cap.

Also, the owners are complaining about salaries..well, that's what happens when the salaries aren't guaranteed, you will have to pay big signing bonuses and I don't blame the players there. In no other league can you sign a player to a long term contract, then cut him before he even plays his first regular season game.

The NFL is growing at a rapid pace. The TV viewership numbers are astronomocal. I don't buy Goodell and the owners' crap about not making money. Give me a break.
  • krizay
  • Veteran

no. but if they can't agree amongst themselves....

no. but if they can't agree amongst themselves....

well, i don't really think its that big of a deal. Of course there are going to be things that the owners don't agree on; they're all business men with their own ideas, who have made their own fortunes, and want to do things a certain way. But since that disagreement isn't actually part of this negotiation, and isn't stopping them from doing business with one another, I don't see how its relevant. That is, I don't think it gives any insight into how this dispute will be handled.

Very rarely does someone buy a team with an expectation of making "profit" from it, regardless of sport. I am pretty sure many owners are not making money, and expect the current salary crisis to run many into the ground.
Watching mike and mike I have become a beliver, a believer in the players. They stated to some extent the players are not asking for more money, they are not being greedy, the owners are trying to take back some money. They said a compromise was on the table with a small loss of the share for the players, the players agreed and the owners walked away. The owners need money to pay off the banks. That's about all I understand on the situation. I have a feeling it will happen when no one expects it.
  • dj43
The morning news sounds dismal. Looking like this will last into the fall.
Originally posted by GhostofJimmyDean:
How are the players being greedy? The owners are the ones who opted out of the previous CBA. They're the ones that want a bigger piece of the pie. If the NFL season doesn't go on as scheduled it'll be thanks to the owners.

They opted out because they got shafted in the previous CBA. Their costs are getting outrageous. Teams aren't making very much money.

See major league baseball if you like the players unions running a sport. Outrageous salaries and only 5 or 6 competitive teams.
I believe the majority will see this in favor of the owners simply because they are rich white men.

Players of all ethnicities are being screwed all the way around; how the hell is Brady not the highest paid player in the league?

Top rookies are coming in between 45-70 million per year? Then they get cut and the contracts aren't guaranteed so the rookie winds up with 30 million of the 60-70 million, Brady ends up with the same amount only he still has to play.

So no one get's the for sure $ except the owners?

How is this fair? The players risk is far greater than the owners since they can lose everything on one play (since the contracts aren't guaranteed).
Share 49ersWebzone