CBA Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by ishkabibel:
Originally posted by PTulini:
Source: Union and League agree to seven straight days of negotiations

Quote:
Source: Union and league agree to seven straight days of negotiations
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 17, 2011, 6:37 PM EST

After a week without communication, the NFL and NFLPA have agreed to do nothing but talk for a week.

A league source tells PFT that the league and union have agreed to seven straight days of negotiations. This development was said in a conference call with agents. The seven straight days will kick off Friday.

Thursday included two tiny steps forward for everyone hoping for a resolution by early March. The two sides agreed to federal mediation and now have agreed to the kind of sustained discussions necessary to get a deal done.

It’s a start.

The mediation is nonbinding. but at least the sides are talking again and the mediator sure can't hurt.

7 days of mediation is excruciating. And by all accounts this guy is good. I'm hopeful.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

Quote:

After a week without communication, the NFL and NFLPA have agreed to do nothing but talk for a week.

A league source tells PFT that the league and union have agreed to seven straight days of negotiations. This development was said in a conference call with agents. The seven straight days will kick off Friday.

Thursday included two tiny steps forward for everyone hoping for a resolution by early March. The two sides agreed to federal mediation and now have agreed to the kind of sustained discussions necessary to get a deal done.

It’s a start.

The mediation is nonbinding. but at least the sides are talking again and the mediator sure can't hurt.

7 days of mediation is excruciating. And by all accounts this guy is good. I'm hopeful.

They met for 7 hours today. Good news.
Originally posted by niner4life21:

Quote:

It’s a start.

great news

Quote:

It’s a start.

How do you know that?
It was on NFL.com's headlines.
It was on NFL.com's headlines.

Maybe this mediator will stop Jerry Richardson from being such a strong arming a*****e and will get them to reach a fair compromise. It'd be nice anyway.
I guess, lets look at it from an "owners" standpoint. 1st off, a new stadium is, let's say $1 Billion for round numbers. Owners must pitch in around 30-35% in either money (cash), or equity in property or other assets.

So, that's only around $300 Million. Let's say they get some form of goverment bonding, assistance, etc. to cover around $200 Million. Now, they must finance the rest. It wold be about $500 Million. Let's look at that payment for say 5 years, with a 20 year amortization, with a 5% interest rate. (Don't know if they would get that low, or if they would cause of such a huge note)

The payment would be right around $3,299,770 per month for just the payment.
Lets not foget, we just shelled out $300 Million for the down payment in cash or equity, to get the loan on this deal... $300 Million..
We could look at insurance, utillities, and all the other expenses for this thing.

It takes a lot to run a buisness like this, with salaries and all the other expenses.

All I think is, cut the pay from these whiney-axx players, cause a lot of people would play for a heck of a lot less. These players can't budget there own checkbook, let alone deal with what it would take to be an owner.
Originally posted by jeepzilla:
I guess, lets look at it from an "owners" standpoint. 1st off, a new stadium is, let's say $1 Billion for round numbers. Owners must pitch in around 30-35% in either money (cash), or equity in property or other assets.

So, that's only around $300 Million. Let's say they get some form of goverment bonding, assistance, etc. to cover around $200 Million. Now, they must finance the rest. It wold be about $500 Million. Let's look at that payment for say 5 years, with a 20 year amortization, with a 5% interest rate. (Don't know if they would get that low, or if they would cause of such a huge note)

Lets not foget, we just shelled out $300 Million for the down payment in cash or equity, to get the loan on this deal... $300 Million..
We could look at insurance, utillities, and all the other expenses for this thing.

It takes a lot to run a buisness like this, with salaries and all the other expenses.

All I think is, cut the pay from these whiney-axx players, cause a lot of people would play for a heck of a lot less. These players can't budget there own checkbook, let alone deal with what it would take to be an owner.

Yeah, I'd love to watch a bunch of scrubs run around so the owners can keep a few extra million in their pockets...

P.S. What does balancing your check book and owning a team have to do with who should get what? I'm pretty sure the owners can't throw a football 60 yards, get tackled by 300lb lineman every other play or cover some of the most athletic speciems in the universe on a slant route.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Yeah, I'd love to watch a bunch of scrubs run around so the owners can keep a few extra million in their pockets...

P.S. What does balancing your check book and owning a team have to do with who should get what? I'm pretty sure the owners can't throw a football 60 yards, get tackled by 300lb lineman every other play or cover some of the most athletic speciems in the universe on a slant route.

I agree with you. The players should get paid.. however, I feel they are. And then you throw in the bulls**t with the Hanesworth deal with snyder and it throws what all the DL's get paid even though he didn't play. It's out of control.

It's like the CA deal where if you worked there for 25 years, the goverment should pay your salary with raises for the rest of your life, and they wonder why that didn't work out..

I do not want to watch scrubs, and I want them to get the CBA worked out, but, I guess my reference and my point with the checkbook is this, it doesn't matter if the players get paid more, "some" will find a way to blow it and whine that it's still not enough.

All I would hear is that the CBA was talking to the players to help them figure out how to pay there health insurance for up to 6 months which could run as high as $8000 to $12000.... For real. They have to figure out a way to pay there health insurance. These players have no idea what to do??

Work with the owners, work it out, give concessions.

It's just annoying, cause I want my football and I am venting... Sorry!!
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6141304

meet for third straight day

end of article it says both owners and players seem optimistic

Its hard for me to care at all.

I would say players are right until the owners open their books and "prove up" that they need a bigger cut.

You can't ask for a bigger cut when you don't disclose the full reasons

I agree with you. The players should get paid.. however, I feel they are. And then you throw in the bulls**t with the Hanesworth deal with snyder and it throws what all the DL's get paid even though he didn't play. It's out of control.

It's like the CA deal where if you worked there for 25 years, the goverment should pay your salary with raises for the rest of your life, and they wonder why that didn't work out..

I do not want to watch scrubs, and I want them to get the CBA worked out, but, I guess my reference and my point with the checkbook is this, it doesn't matter if the players get paid more, "some" will find a way to blow it and whine that it's still not enough.

All I would hear is that the CBA was talking to the players to help them figure out how to pay there health insurance for up to 6 months which could run as high as $8000 to $12000.... For real. They have to figure out a way to pay there health insurance. These players have no idea what to do??

Work with the owners, work it out, give concessions.

It's just annoying, cause I want my football and I am venting... Sorry!!

I know what your saying. I think I'm just hyper sensitive. It's just too bad to see some of these kids with an opportunity of a life time blow it before they wise up. Youth really is waisted on the young.
  • mike
  • Veteran

You're telling me that these athletes are going to go and play football somewhere else if they lose a few million?
Where, Canada? Arena football?

Along with football, I also watch hockey, and in hockey the very best athletes get paid at most about 10m/yr, and there's a huge competing Russian hockey league that'll pay double that and nearly zero taxes. Yet the only players who run off to make the extra money are european and/or old.

Now, I'm not saying cutting the nfl athletes down to nhl levels would be a good thing, but they don't exactly have as much leverage as you're making it sound like they have. They either play football, accept the fact that they'll make less money(but still make millions), or go do what they'd be doing without football- flipping hamburgers. (a few exceptions of course, but most of them don't finish college and have only played football their entire lives)

The owners make plenty, players make plenty, there should be compromises on both sides.
[ Edited by mike on Feb 21, 2011 at 6:54 PM ]
I dont give a s**t who is right really, I just want them to get a deal done. Anybody know how these talks are coming? I really want a CBA, I really want to see a FA market, and our team get OTAs and stuff to install everything.
I agree with the above sentiment as well. I don't care who is right, there are only two things that I want to see out of this CBA:

1. Rookie wage scale.
2. 16 game season.

-9fA
Share 49ersWebzone