There are 145 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The **OFFICIAL** Cam Newton Bandwagon!

Originally posted by 9moon:
i dont understand, is there really a QB in this draft (outside Locker) that has a bigger upside than Cam??

No way i'd compare Cam to Vick, this guy was pure speed at Virginia Tech.. Michael Vick is a superb athlete who CAN play the quarterback position.. it's just like the guy from Arkansas qb (Matt Jones) whom the Jaguars drafted.. he and Michael Vick was similar as both were a fine athlete that can play QB..

as for Vince Young's comparison, anyone who tries to compare Cam to this guy just tells me that he/she didnt not watch college football last year, or when Vince was playing.. Vince Young didnt beat nor, could he beat any team with his arm alone.. Young's passing ability never squared anyone, it was his pure running ability that everyone was worried..

as for Cam, he will never be a passer like Manning or Brady, but with Harbaugh refining his skills, he will be a great QB in the league..

and last but not the least, lets not fall for another Alex Smith scenario here.. Everyone saw Rodgers as the better QB the year they were in college, and we all witness how special Cam was from last year, so please, let's not fall for Nolanism's "Aaron may be the better QB, but I'll win with my guy..."

I disagree with all of what you wrote...

1. Locker doesn't have better upside than Cam Newton. Newton OWNED the NCAA last year. So at least he has shown more of his potential so far than Locker.
2. Don't compare Vick and Matt Jones please. I couldn't think of two more different players.
3. Everyone didn't see that Rodgers was the better QB. People said perhaps he was more pro ready. But Alex was a Heisman finalist not Rodgers, and Alex was on an undefeated team not Rodgers. Most projections had Alex as a better QB and higher on their boards.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 28,437
Cam Newton's media workout - TODAY!

Today is the day on which former Auburn quarterback Cam Newton will work out not for scouts or coaches or anyone else who may draft him in April, but for the media.

We’re told that the 45-minute session will happen at 1:00 p.m. ET at Cathedral Catholic High School in San Diego. Per the media invitation circulated in connection with this event, the workout is intended to “provide a snapshot of Cam’s daily training regimen and routine as he prepares for his NFL career.”

Newton then will be “briefly available” to answer “some questions” from the media.



Who else has done this before? This is a great strategy! Love the guy's confidence.
Workout in just a few hours. Hopefully, some of the journalists who are former scouts and GM's can provide a solid breakdown. NFL personnel are not allowed to visit the workout. Got a feeling a videotape or two may magically leak out to a club or two.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Cam Newton's media workout - TODAY!

Today is the day on which former Auburn quarterback Cam Newton will work out not for scouts or coaches or anyone else who may draft him in April, but for the media.

We’re told that the 45-minute session will happen at 1:00 p.m. ET at Cathedral Catholic High School in San Diego. Per the media invitation circulated in connection with this event, the workout is intended to “provide a snapshot of Cam’s daily training regimen and routine as he prepares for his NFL career.”

Newton then will be “briefly available” to answer “some questions” from the media.



Who else has done this before? This is a great strategy! Love the guy's confidence.

I agree. He's basically going on the offensive and saying I am so good and more than happy to show you all. The level of physical talent he has may be unprecedented in in the history of the game for a QB prospect. The more I am hearing the more excited I am about the possibility of Newton at 7.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Cam Newton's media workout - TODAY!

Today is the day on which former Auburn quarterback Cam Newton will work out not for scouts or coaches or anyone else who may draft him in April, but for the media.

We’re told that the 45-minute session will happen at 1:00 p.m. ET at Cathedral Catholic High School in San Diego. Per the media invitation circulated in connection with this event, the workout is intended to “provide a snapshot of Cam’s daily training regimen and routine as he prepares for his NFL career.”

Newton then will be “briefly available” to answer “some questions” from the media.



Who else has done this before? This is a great strategy! Love the guy's confidence.

I agree. He's basically going on the offensive and saying I am so good and more than happy to show you all. The level of physical talent he has may be unprecedented in in the history of the game for a QB prospect. The more I am hearing the more excited I am about the possibility of Newton at 7.

Dude...I've been praying that Cam would fly under the radar so we could steal him at 7 which I know JH is hoping the same.

Damn it!!! Now we may have to move up to get Cam! IDK why all these people on here are hating on Cam, as Trent Dilfer just reported, there aren't many people in the World that can throw the ball like Cam did today!
Originally posted by Atl49er:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Cam Newton's media workout - TODAY!

Today is the day on which former Auburn quarterback Cam Newton will work out not for scouts or coaches or anyone else who may draft him in April, but for the media.

We’re told that the 45-minute session will happen at 1:00 p.m. ET at Cathedral Catholic High School in San Diego. Per the media invitation circulated in connection with this event, the workout is intended to “provide a snapshot of Cam’s daily training regimen and routine as he prepares for his NFL career.”

Newton then will be “briefly available” to answer “some questions” from the media.



Who else has done this before? This is a great strategy! Love the guy's confidence.

I agree. He's basically going on the offensive and saying I am so good and more than happy to show you all. The level of physical talent he has may be unprecedented in in the history of the game for a QB prospect. The more I am hearing the more excited I am about the possibility of Newton at 7.

Dude...I've been praying that Cam would fly under the radar so we could steal him at 7 which I know JH is hoping the same.

Damn it!!! Now we may have to move up to get Cam! IDK why all these people on here are hating on Cam, as Trent Dilfer just reported, there aren't many people in the World that can throw the ball like Cam did today!

No we won't, mostlikely he will be picked by wash... Other then that he should be in our laps, i think theirs to many players ready to start now that can be pick up before newton will go off the board... Besides he sits for 2 years anyways!
Newton was great last year...but, he has only 1 year of starting QB experience, and his wont to run nearly as much as pass is a red flag in the NFL. He'll have to learn the same thing as Tebow...to pick his spots to run, or he'll get hammered and likely injured. Also, it's unknown if he can be disciplined enough to be effective in a pro offense...all the workouts in the world won't prove that. Only lining up against real NFL players will. 'Til he does that, I'm not a believer.
  • kush
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,649
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Newton was great last year...but, he has only 1 year of starting QB experience, and his wont to run nearly as much as pass is a red flag in the NFL. He'll have to learn the same thing as Tebow...to pick his spots to run, or he'll get hammered and likely injured. Also, it's unknown if he can be disciplined enough to be effective in a pro offense...all the workouts in the world won't prove that. Only lining up against real NFL players will. 'Til he does that, I'm not a believer.

The same can be said for every player in the draft...do you mean to say you're not a believer in anyone?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 12,900
Quote:
Under Armour gives Cam Newton biggest deal ever for NFL rookie

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 14, 2011, 12:08 PM EST

There’s a raging debate about whether Heisman Trophy-winning Auburn quarterback Cam Newton has what it takes to make it as a quarterback in the NFL. But Under Armour has no doubt that Newton is going to be a star.

Darren Rovell of CNBC reports that Newton has signed a shoe and apparel deal with Under Armour that will be the largest deal ever given to an incoming NFL rookie, topping the $1 million a year deal Reggie Bush got from Adidas in 2006.

One of the reasons Under Armour wanted to get a deal done with Newton is that he’s already associated with the company through its deal with Auburn. Newton is already perhaps the most identifiable athlete who wears Under Armour. The only difference is that in 2010, he wore Under Armour as an “amateur.” In 2011 he’ll wear Under Armour as a professional.

Now the question is whether Under Armour just got itself a great deal with a budding superstar — or a rotten deal with the next JaMarcus Russell.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/14/under-armour-gives-cam-newton-biggest-deal-ever-for-nfl-rookie/

[ Edited by Jcool on Feb 14, 2011 at 09:15:25 ]
I hope he didn't go to buffalo, don't like that franchise for any qb
How many times has a QB with shady off the field issues came in to the NFL and led their team as a franchise guy.

guys like Newton just dont become Super Bowl winning franchise guys. i dont like having any of that questionable past type stuff. he jumped around schools, got accused for his family taking brides...ehhhh.....stay away. dont lean on this guy to be your future.

if i was Harbaugh, id try and get someone i knew would put me in the best situation to be successful in the NFL. whether thats waiting and trading down to get Luck, or something else. Harbaugh would be foolish to marry Cam Newton as his NFL bride. whoever Harbaugh chooses will be tied with him for the rest of his tenure with the Niners. pick wisely. we all know he wants Luck next year. i think hes probably leaning Alex Smith for 2011, and then trying to get Luck next april.
Originally posted by Niners99:
How many times has a QB with shady off the field issues came in to the NFL and led their team as a franchise guy.

guys like Newton just dont become Super Bowl winning franchise guys. i dont like having any of that questionable past type stuff. he jumped around schools, got accused for his family taking brides...ehhhh.....stay away. dont lean on this guy to be your future.

if i was Harbaugh, id try and get someone i knew would put me in the best situation to be successful in the NFL. whether thats waiting and trading down to get Luck, or something else. Harbaugh would be foolish to marry Cam Newton as his NFL bride. whoever Harbaugh chooses will be tied with him for the rest of his tenure with the Niners. pick wisely. we all know he wants Luck next year. i think hes probably leaning Alex Smith for 2011, and then trying to get Luck next april.

Dan Marino
wouldnt be surprised to see him go 1 to the panthers they need a qb in worst way and also his stock will only rise from here on out
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 12,900
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by Niners99:
How many times has a QB with shady off the field issues came in to the NFL and led their team as a franchise guy.

guys like Newton just dont become Super Bowl winning franchise guys. i dont like having any of that questionable past type stuff. he jumped around schools, got accused for his family taking brides...ehhhh.....stay away. dont lean on this guy to be your future.

if i was Harbaugh, id try and get someone i knew would put me in the best situation to be successful in the NFL. whether thats waiting and trading down to get Luck, or something else. Harbaugh would be foolish to marry Cam Newton as his NFL bride. whoever Harbaugh chooses will be tied with him for the rest of his tenure with the Niners. pick wisely. we all know he wants Luck next year. i think hes probably leaning Alex Smith for 2011, and then trying to get Luck next april.

Dan Marino

John Elway and Eli Manning can be seen as using questionable judgment refusing to sign with certain teams and forcing trades before they had done anything in the pros.
  • Apone
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,739
No need to draft a "running back" that high....

[ Edited by Apone on Feb 14, 2011 at 13:35:39 ]