There are 269 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The elephant in the room; What if A.Smith and/or Sing do great elsewhere?

• obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Trajik1:
WHAT IF ALEX KNOCKS US OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS FOR YEARS TO COME? OR BEATS US IN A SUPER BOWL? I HOPE WE RESIGN HIM AND ALLOW SOME COMPETENT COACHES TO WORK WITH HIM AND KEEP HIM AS A BACK UP AT LEAST

How is this the "elephant in the room"?

If Alex Smith succeeds in this 7th year no one will say "Wow, the 9ers gave up on him too early." I've seen nothing from Smith that would show me he is capable of becoming a Super Bowl caliber QB. If the knock on him is that he keeps having to learn a new system, well guess what - next year he'll be learning a new system, whether it be here or with another team. So let's excuse him from his 7th year and count on him being awesome in year 8? Name me one damn QB in league history that developed into a championship-type player in his 8th year.

And Sing SHOULD improve, if he ever decides to coach again. He failed here. So be it. But successful people aren't afraid to fail - they learn from it and move on. If he wants to be successful he will learn from his experience here and basically pull a George Costanza and do the exact opposite somewhere else. I don't think that's going to happen ...

Assuming that both Smith and Sing eventually become all time greats, which is a big leap of faith - so what? They didn't get the job done here, bottom line and I for one was not willing to sit around for another 2-3 years hoping that they would both magically turn their respective careers around.

Good riddance to both.
I would literally wager all that I own that Alex Smith nor Mike Singletary will ever be successful.
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by midrdan:
How is this the "elephant in the room"?

If Alex Smith succeeds in this 7th year no one will say "Wow, the 9ers gave up on him too early." I've seen nothing from Smith that would show me he is capable of becoming a Super Bowl caliber QB. If the knock on him is that he keeps having to learn a new system, well guess what - next year he'll be learning a new system, whether it be here or with another team. So let's excuse him from his 7th year and count on him being awesome in year 8? Name me one damn QB in league history that developed into a championship-type player in his 8th year.

And Sing SHOULD improve, if he ever decides to coach again. He failed here. So be it. But successful people aren't afraid to fail - they learn from it and move on. If he wants to be successful he will learn from his experience here and basically pull a George Costanza and do the exact opposite somewhere else. I don't think that's going to happen ...

Assuming that both Smith and Sing eventually become all time greats, which is a big leap of faith - so what? They didn't get the job done here, bottom line and I for one was not willing to sit around for another 2-3 years hoping that they would both magically turn their respective careers around.

Good riddance to both.

Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by confusedrhino:
Originally posted by theweapon:
Originally posted by Jamespowers:
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
What if Alex does great next year and is a pro bowler as an Arizona Cardinal?

Alex a pro bowler? nah, he is not good enough. Name me a QB that was a bust with the team that drafted him and went on to success elsewhere... Sing will forever be a LB coach, something I think he is actually good at.

Uh.... Steve Young?

lol owned. Someone else that comes to mind is Kurt Warner. He wasn't drafted, but tried out for a couple NFL teams before being picked up by the Rams. Although it doesn't work quite as well as Steve Young who actually played some games before being traded away as not living up to his potential.

Don't forget Brees going to New Orleans..

Or Vinny Testeverde back in the day.

Brees was a Pro Bowler on San Diego. So, uh, no dice.

Also the exception does not prove the rule folks. For every 1 Steve Young there are about 20 of the bust variety: Couch, Leaf, Schuler, Harrington, Russell, McNown, etc. Might as well just add Alex's name to the bust list now, he's never been one to prove anyone wrong.

Brees turned things around in his 3rd year.

Kurt Warner won a super bowl in his 1st year.

Testaverde won nothing, so I don't know why he's an example of a QB you'd regret giving up on too early.

Young was BY FAR a better QB in year 3 of his career than Smith was. The Minnesota game in '87 alone showed that he'd be a great one.

The bottom line is that Smith has been given enough opportunities to evaluate his talent. He is never going to win a super bowl (except as a back up). People need to realize this and move on.
Alex has a chance at the pro level. Sing has NO CHANCE in the NFL as a HC, NONE.
What if my herpes went away? They never will. And Alex and Singletary never will be winners.
What if terrorist monkeys fly out of my bunghole? A much more interesting question because it is so much more likely to happen.
Alex Smith and the word "great" do not belong in the same sentence.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Smith COULD do well elsewhere. And yes, I will be pissed if he does.

Sing has done the last NFL HC gig he'll ever get again his whole life. The best he can ever get from here out is a LB coach in the NFL, or POSSIBLY a HC position in the college ranks, but even that is iffy. He can't even be an NFL commentator because he doesn't understand the game enough to make commentary without watching film first with somebody smarter than him explaining to him what he's seeing, which defeats the purpose of having a game time commentator in the first place.

He already had a motivational speaking gig this last Monday. That's where his future lies. And he's got $5M to help him get started back on that again.
Originally posted by Shaj:
Smith COULD do well elsewhere. And yes, I will be pissed if he does.

Sing has done the last NFL HC gig he'll ever get again his whole life. The best he can ever get from here out is a LB coach in the NFL, or POSSIBLY a HC position in the college ranks, but even that is iffy. He can't even be an NFL commentator because he doesn't understand the game enough to make commentary without watching film first with somebody smarter than him explaining to him what he's seeing, which defeats the purpose of having a game time commentator in the first place.

He already had a motivational speaking gig this last Monday. That's where his future lies. And he's got $5M to help him get started back on that again.

Shaj, you almost made me piss myself...thinking of him covering a game and saying "I will have to catch this game again tonight on NFL Replay before I can comment" Every game he covers he would talk more about the game he covered last week than the one going on right now.

Thats a pretty funny image.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
LOL! Sing literally has no idea how to coach -- so he won't be unless it's in college.

Alex Smith -- I can see it. So I wouldn't be surprised.

Either way, who the f**k cares? They are the finale of a horrible decade for the 49ers and cleansing them to start anew is by far better than whatever they achieve personally.

I agree. Alex has a lot better shot than Sing does.
most of the people who were not Alex fanboys or not Rollin with Nolan...have been through this...

we have wanted Aaron Rodgers and have watched him flourish with the Packers of all teams ......as well as DeSean Jackson (who we passed on TWICE!) flourish with the Eagles.

so what ever...it is only frustrating when these players are playing great, where as who we have to on our team are struggling.

so if Alex is playing lights out ....then his fanboys will be bringing his name up over here, especially if we are struggling at the QB position.

but I'm ok with that. GET HIS ASS OUT OF HERE!

[ Edited by Afrikan on Dec 29, 2010 at 15:30:49 ]
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
I don't know about you guys,but I'd be pist if Smith went to his first pro bowl in a Dolphins uni.

I mean, that was the whole point in giving him enough time,right?

Each year we thought we were going to get that number one overall qb that we invested in? Each year we got nathan but penetration.

Alexcuses seem viable, but dammit, if these chumps succeed and we are still rebuilding, it will look pretty bad.

No it wont. They will only succeed if put into successful clubs. There is no other way.

Both Sing and Smith must accept their share of the blame that they pushed this franchise back.
i'd start to think that maybe this team has a hex on it