LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

The elephant in the room; What if A.Smith and/or Sing do great elsewhere?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by JC49:
Sing made it painfully obvious he doesn't have what it takes now. He also made it plain he's so freaking obstinate he's going to impare his own learning curve. Maybe falling flat on his face will be a wake up call and he'll become more open minded and be able to learn what he needs to. He's still not an X & O guy at all though so he's got a long way to go to become a respected enough one to earn a second chance.

People talk about how Mike Johnson is and will be a good offensive coordinator and how he was hamstrung by Singletary. It sure looked like the offense worked without Sing around in the last game. If the OC and the O are understood to have excuses for failing how is the quarterback supposed to succeed while the O is failing. Alex had the tools when he was drafted. He's still young. He has the work ethic. He's a high character guy and won't shoot himself in the foot doing something stupid. He could go to a good situation (i.e. Indy) and back somebody up for a few years (a la Aaron Rogers) and then succeed. And yes that would be extremely embarrasing for us. Much less so though if we've turned the page and have something going.

Yes. Success will cure anything. I really hope that the 49ers will turn around quickly. If Smith goes somewhere else and succeeds, more power to him. However if Harbaugh cannot turn the 49ers around, and Smith brings a team to the SB (just an extreme scenario, don't make it like I really think so), NT of the future will turn into a suicide watch zone.
[ Edited by fastforward on Jan 10, 2011 at 9:44 AM ]
Sing will be given the Bengals after Marvin Lewis gets canned and take them to the Super Bowl to meet Alex Smith and the Niners. What the hell happens then?
Originally posted by zillabeast:
Sing will be given the Bengals after Marvin Lewis gets canned and take them to the Super Bowl to meet Alex Smith and the Niners. What the hell happens then?

You wake up?
Singletary bypassed the normal route to HCing by smoozing and talking someone into adding the title of assistant HC to Nolan to his other job. As a LB coach he was in his element but he had absolutely no experience dealing with offense or other coaches as a manager.

He was hired for his ability to motivate, not manage. So, I just don't see him being willing to go back and learn the basics.

Smith will be back but if he succeeds with the 9ers or elsewhere I will be happy. If he fails, he still has a great deal of money to salve the wounds.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Singletary bypassed the normal route to HCing by smoozing and talking someone into adding the title of assistant HC to Nolan to his other job. As a LB coach he was in his element but he had absolutely no experience dealing with offense or other coaches as a manager.

He was hired for his ability to motivate, not manage. So, I just don't see him being willing to go back and learn the basics.

Smith will be back but if he succeeds with the 9ers or elsewhere I will be happy. If he fails, he still has a great deal of money to salve the wounds.

Sing will never be a great HC. To be even a serviceable HC, he needs top notch coordinators handling all of the X's and O's.
Originally posted by cwilson830:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Sing will never be a great HC. To be even a serviceable HC, he needs top notch coordinators handling all of the X's and O's.

He had a chance to bring in an OC from his long list of friends in the NFL and came up with Raye. So...

I love the way Harbaugh came in with his own people, experienced and ready to run their areas. Hope they succeed.
I dont think they will be great

if they do, more power to them
Share 49ersWebzone