There are 61 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The elephant in the room; What if A.Smith and/or Sing do great elsewhere?

It would be a mistake to let Alex Smith go, I hope Jim Harbaugh gives him a fresh look and we can retain him at least as a backup.

If we let him go, he will definitely be taken by Seattle Seahawks (Scott McCloughan) and he could be our biggest nightmare twice a year.

Over the last 5 years, 49ers have paid the heavy pain and investment of training him and now to let him go to our competitor would be a bigger mistake than hiring him in the first place.

Let us do the smart thing and keep him around.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
I don't know about you guys,but I'd be pist if Smith went to his first pro bowl in a Dolphins uni.

I mean, that was the whole point in giving him enough time,right?

Each year we thought we were going to get that number one overall qb that we invested in? Each year we got nathan but penetration.

Alexcuses seem viable, but dammit, if these chumps succeed and we are still rebuilding, it will look pretty bad.

That would be okay, I wish them all the best where ever they go as they are good people, just didn't fit our system here or did not know how to implement a working system as they did not have the experience. Besides Sing's 1st year coaching mistakes (the dropping his pants incident in the locker room), I think he has showed class in thanking the 49ers for the opportunity and leaving with grace, one cannot dwell on the failure that person has presented for their organization, but to keep looking forward and to keep doing the right things for their organization and being a pro is how I feel and would approach the situation. I wish Sing and Smith the absolute best and they deserve it, it's just unfortunate they did not fit here.
1) That would be hilarious and also prove that it wasn't completely Alex's fault he couldn't succeed.

As for Sing, well I would just laugh, and yes, it would be really embarrassing,

so how about we not care about them both since they are no longer 49ers, cannot further help this team anymore.

Old news, not gonna read it anymore right?
Alex will be a back up for someone next year probably sit and learn (similar to Plunkett) than get a chance. When given the opportunity I think he will do better than some people think, however will never get a team to the Super Bowl.

Sing will get the opportunity to be a LB coach and if smart will learn to chill out, X and O’s, how to organize a team, become a DC, than get an opportunity to coach again but will take minimum 5 years or more for him to repair the damage he caused himself.

Frankly, love to see these two guys do well as long as we are back in the playoffs and going to Super Bowls again.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Not the 49ers fault they didn't do good for us!
  • rob28
  • Veteran
good for them, i wouldn't care as long as it aint in s.f.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
LOL! Sing literally has no idea how to coach -- so he won't be unless it's in college.

Alex Smith -- I can see it. So I wouldn't be surprised.

Either way, who the f**k cares? They are the finale of a horrible decade for the 49ers and cleansing them to start anew is by far better than whatever they achieve personally.

This.
I hope they both do well. They're great men who deserve success.
I think Smith will find success. I still blame the coaching we've had ove rthe past 6 years for many of his problems. I can recall several games where Alex made a drive down the field in the final minutes to put us on top only to have a conservative defense called letting the other team strike in the final seconds and win the game. I also recall several times when we would ge ta lead and go conservative letting the other eam stay in the game. Alex was always his best in the 2 minute drill when he could make his own calls. And he was always impressive when he was able to go out and just let it loose. Unfortunetly the previous 2 coaches (which I still consider the same regime) seldoms allowed for it. This past year even with all the turmoil he averaged 215 yards and more the a TD a game. He had a positive TD/INT ratio and even though people like to talk about him fumbling he has only lost 3 fumbles in the past 2 seasons. I also think that with Harbaugh as the HC Smith could still turn into a pro bowl player. I do have doubts that he desires to return and instead will seek either a starting job or a backup behind a top QB in NE, Indy NO or the like. If he does go somewhere and excells I think a lot of people will have to feel pretty stupid that it was the fans in the stadium who ran him out of town. A lot of people have a lot of blind hate for Alex, but he will play in the NFL in some capacity for the next decade.

Singletary I think is not NFL HC material. If he wants to be a HC I think he first needs to get a better understanding of Xs and Os. If he wants to be a HC any time soon I think he needs to go to the college ranks and hire two outstanding coordinators who have control of the offense and defense. His motivational style woud likely resound with college players and he could likely recruit extremely well. Kids would love to be able to play for a hall of famer with a ring and parents would love him.
Originally posted by grizzlyadams:
I hope they both do well. They're great men who deserve success.

well put^^^
Makes zero difference to us. It's over and I wish them well. Let move on.
I don't know about you guys,but I'd be pist if Smith went to his first pro bowl in a Dolphins uni.

I mean, that was the whole point in giving him enough time,right?

Each year we thought we were going to get that number one overall qb that we invested in? Each year we got nathan but penetration.

Alexcuses seem viable, but dammit, if these chumps succeed and we are still rebuilding, it will look pretty bad.

Alex Smith doing well elsewhere probably would be OK with the fan base. However, it'd be very ugly if Smith did great somewhere else, AND the QBs that the 49ers went with didn't come through. It'd be sort of like watching Friday the 13th part 8 - a bad horror movie.
What if Alex does great next year and is a pro bowler

pro bowler for Arizona...............hope not..................I can see him wanting to go there and play though............... or maybe he goes to Seattle.

wonder if Harbaugh thinks he can mold him into something.
[ Edited by wolfman61 on Jan 9, 2011 at 5:52 PM ]
Alex Smith would probably be a better QB coach or an OC than a QB. He has the smarts and the drive, but he just doesn't have the talent.
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
Alex Smith would probably be a better QB coach or an OC than a QB. He has the smarts and the drive, but he just doesn't have the talent.

i had the same thought after yr 3 of the Smith era