There are 58 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

SI: Holmgren as 49ers Coach in 2011?

Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by Cleveland_Niner:
Holgrem is not going to happen. He said he is committed to fulfilling his obligation and contract in Cleveland. Be it as Vice President or coach, remains to be seen.

OK, then the guy from SI was totally lied to. I bet his wife LOVES Cleveland instead of their $5M house in Santa Cruz...bet she's thrilled about Ohio.

It's also conceivable that Holmgren has a "dream job" clause in his contract that would allow him to pursue an opening in his home town for instance.

We'll see.

LOL

it's funny to think about anyone working for the Yorks as a "dream job"
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Then we can have Jack del rio or Wade phillips a D-cordinator! LOL as long as we are wishing!

No connection to the 49ers there.

[Rumors of Holmgren coming here] + [Gruden's connections to Holmgren and the Bay Area] + [Childress connections to Gruden and Holmgren] = possibility

Okay, I did not know there where rules in fantasyland! Jim Mora Jr or George Siefert for D-cordinator! LOL and cookies and ice cream for all the fans!!!!

Published stories by sports illustrated are not fantasyland.
Originally posted by Mookster:
You've obviously never heard of John York..... he's the guy who can split a nickel 6 ways and keep a penny for himself

I think York is gunning for Dick Jauron or Dave Wandstadt as HC...
What I heard, and I can't remember what article it was, but it was something to the effect of Holmgren luring Gruden to Clevland because Gruden is from Clevland and would love to coach there. If Holmgren could get Gruden to take the GM/Coaching Position in Clevland and Fire Mangini, then Clevland will be happy, and Holmgren will then come here as a GM/Coach.

Don't think we get both.
Originally posted by zozell:
What I heard, and I can't remember what article it was, but it was something to the effect of Holmgren luring Gruden to Clevland because Gruden is from Clevland and would love to coach there. If Holmgren could get Gruden to take the GM/Coaching Position in Clevland and Fire Mangini, then Clevland will be happy, and Holmgren will then come here as a GM/Coach.

Don't think we get both.

That was the profootballtalk article. The SI/Trotter information is a bit different.

BTW, I think Mangini is doing an excellent job with the talent he has.
Originally posted by 76Razor:
Holgrem is not going to happen. He said he is committed to fulfilling his obligation and contract in Cleveland. Be it as Vice President or coach, remains to be seen.

OK, then the guy from SI was totally lied to. I bet his wife LOVES Cleveland instead of their $5M house in Santa Cruz...bet she's thrilled about Ohio.

just because they own a house in SC, doesn't mean he would take a job in SF. and yes, people are lied to all the time. reporters don't have wonder woman's magic lasso. lies happen.

as for your "axis of awesome": you have a better chance of getting natalie portman's vagina to whisper the winning lotto numbers to you while you eat it out.

no way in hell you land all three. i would go as far as to say that you get NONE of them.

however, if we have a chance at one of the three, i would say childress as an OC-with billick as HC.

Try and think through it, if you assume we actually have a coaching change:

1. Are rumors of Holmgren coming here true?
2. Who would Holmgren hire as a Head Coach?
3. Where will Childress OC next year?

1. if rumors were true, they would be called "fact". why would the niners leak such rumors? i don't see how it benefits them.

2. gruden would take his place with the browns. gruden may have ties to the niners, but he is a native of cleveland.

3. childress will land a HC job before he lands an OC job. and if it is a OC job, i could see him coming here, but it depends on who the head coach is.

just because they own a house in SC, doesn't mean he would take a job in SF. and yes, people are lied to all the time. reporters don't have wonder woman's magic lasso. lies happen.

as for your "axis of awesome": you have a better chance of getting natalie portman's vagina to whisper the winning lotto numbers to you while you eat it out.

no way in hell you land all three. i would go as far as to say that you get NONE of them.

however, if we have a chance at one of the three, i would say childress as an OC-with billick as HC.

1. if rumors were true, they would be called "fact". why would the niners leak such rumors? i don't see how it benefits them.

2. gruden would take his place with the browns. gruden may have ties to the niners, but he is a native of cleveland.

3. childress will land a HC job before he lands an OC job. and if it is a OC job, i could see him coming here, but it depends on who the head coach is.

1. the niner org could never confirm this story
2. Gruden grew up in South Bend, not Cleveland. And he's spent his entire adult life away from the midwest (except for 3 years in Green Bay).
3. You think Childress will be a HC in 2011? He'll do a rehab assignment next year.

Then we can have Jack del rio or Wade phillips a D-cordinator! LOL as long as we are wishing!

[Rumors of Holmgren coming here] + [Gruden's connections to Holmgren and the Bay Area] + [Childress connections to Gruden and Holmgren] = possibility

Doesn't sound like a bad idwa. I'm sure we could do worse than that. I just don't think holmgren leaves Cleveland. We would still need someone who can develop a young qb
Originally posted by darkknight49:

Doesn't sound like a bad idwa. I'm sure we could do worse than that. I just don't think holmgren leaves Cleveland. We would still need someone who can develop a young qb

Holmgren as GM, Pat Shurmur as HC?
My Dream Scenario

GM: Tom Heckert
HC: Mike Holmgren
OC: Gary Kubiak(if he gets fired)
QC: Greg Knapp
DC: Marvin Lewis(if he gets fired)

Trade for Kevin Kolb
Sign Jeff Garcia as a backup
Draft rookie in mid to late round

1st pick in the draft: Prince Amukamara
  • boast
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Mad49er:
My Dream Scenario

GM: Tom Heckert
HC: Mike Holmgren
OC: Gary Kubiak(if he gets fired)
QC: Greg Knapp
DC: Marvin Lewis(if he gets fired)

Trade for Kevin Kolb
Sign Jeff Garcia as a backup
Draft rookie in mid to late round

1st pick in the draft: Prince Amukamara

Kolb is going to cost a 1st rd pick

1. the niner org could never confirm this story
2. Gruden grew up in South Bend, not Cleveland. And he's spent his entire adult life away from the midwest (except for 3 years in Green Bay).
3. You think Childress will be a HC in 2011? He'll do a rehab assignment next year.

1. so if the niners never confirmed, they are still what we are calling them: rumors. this, to me, sounds more like a reporter trying to get a story.

2. one year. one year as a QC coach. also, this niner franchise is probably pretty f**king low on coaches lists of "dream jobs". don't be fooled, not all coaches want to coach the team of the city they grew up in, or have MINIMAL ties to.

3. yes, i could see him coaching a team next year-as a head coach. where? i don't know. we will see after the axe falls in january.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
I don't know, I think I'd want someone more cutting edge for today's game. Holmgren was that guy 20 years ago and retreads seldom work out. I want the next big thing, an innovator that can head the team and spawn a coaching tree over the next decade. Not the guy who already did 20 years ago. I think Harbaugh could be that guy.
Crazy dream, but is there much else to be excited about at this point?
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home