LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 156 users in the forums

SI: Holmgren as 49ers Coach in 2011?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Defuego:
I am confused about why so many think Childress is a good OC. Reid called the plays when Childless was in Philly and the O in Minnesota only started dominating when he had both Favre and Peterson at the top of their game. I question if he really is a good OC.

I wouldnt even question it. Hes not. Hes an awful coach. I have no idea why every fired coach or cut player is suddenly wanted to badly.
Originally posted by jojomellon:
I am confused about why so many think Childress is a good OC. Reid called the plays when Childless was in Philly and the O in Minnesota only started dominating when he had both Favre and Peterson at the top of their game. I question if he really is a good OC.

I wouldnt even question it. Hes not. Hes an awful coach. I have no idea why every fired coach or cut player is suddenly wanted to badly.

Honestly? Probably because he runs the WCO.

That in itself is enough to get people around here on board.
Originally posted by baltien:

lol He's a pretty good OC. Everyone wants to remember how his stint with the Vikes ended and not the fact that he was the HC of a team that went to the NFC championship game or that he was a good OC in the first place and made the playoffs while starting Tarvaris Jackson and Gus Frerotte. I don't understand why you guys hate him, he's not a great HC as far as managing egos and making personnel decisions but he knows offense.

Oh and btw don't forget the fact that damn near everyone in this league has changed teams in FA, been cut, traded, fired, etc. People want guys from other teams because they might be better or as good as the guys on our team and we friggin suck.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

lol He's a pretty good OC. Everyone wants to remember how his stint with the Vikes ended and not the fact that he was the HC of a team that went to the NFC championship game or that he was a good OC in the first place and made the playoffs while starting Tarvaris Jackson and Gus Frerotte. I don't understand why you guys hate him, he's not a great HC as far as managing egos and making personnel decisions but he knows offense.

Oh and btw don't forget the fact that damn near everyone in this league has changed teams in FA, been cut, traded, fired, etc. People want guys from other teams because they might be better or as good as the guys on our team and we friggin suck.

Lest we not forget (and take this with a grain of salt)

Quote:
“Brett thinks Childress has no clue about offense,” a Vikings player said.

Childress’ presence, not Favre’s ankle injury, was one of the biggest reasons Favre was hesitating about playing again, sources said. In early July, Favre had indicated to one player that he was likely to play. However, after Childress visited Favre on July 19, Favre’s desire to return declined.

“Brett just doesn’t trust him,” a player said.

Both Childress and Favre declined to address the issue Wednesday, but the problems run deeper than events from last season. It goes beyond the incident in the Dec. 20 game against Carolina when Favre refused to come out of an eventual loss when Childress wanted to pull him. It’s beyond the Nov. 15 win against Detroit when Childress got angry with a play Favre changed in the second half.

One of the biggest problems in this situation is that Childress is allowed to run free within the organization. Because owner Zygi Wilf and team president Mark Wilf both live in New York, Childress doesn’t have to answer to anyone on a day-to-day basis. In the power structure between Childress, vice president of player personnel Rick Spielman and vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski, Childress has the final say. He has taken that final say to mean that he can basically act as he pleases.

The heart of the conflict is Childress’ perceived lack of football savvy. Some players believe that most of the offensive coaching staff is made up of yes-men like Bevell. Furthermore, Childress is the type who doesn’t take outside ideas very well.

“He has his way of doing things and that’s it,” a player said.

This season, Childress almost didn’t get Favre as a result.
Holmgren as GM

Another post on this site made me do some research, here is Holgren's drafting from his 4 years as Seahawks GM, 99-01.

2001 - Seattle Seahawks
Rd Sel # Player Position School
1 9 Koren Robinson WR North Carolina State
1 17 Steve Hutchinson G Michigan
2 40 Ken Lucas CB Mississippi
3 82 Heath Evans RB Auburn
4 104 Orlando Huff LB Fresno State
4 127 Curtis Fuller DB Texas Christian
4 128 Floyd Womack G Mississippi State
5 140 Alex Bannister WR Eastern Kentucky
6 172 Josh Booty QB Louisiana State
7 210 Harold Blackmon DB Northwestern
7 222 Dennis Norman T Princeton
7 237 Kris Kocurek DT Texas Tech
2000 - Seattle Seahawks
1 19 Shaun Alexander RB Alabama
1 22 Chris McIntosh T Wisconsin
2 52 Ike Charlton CB Virginia Tech
3 80 Darrell Jackson WR Florida
4 116 Marcus Bell LB Arizona
4 119 Isaiah Kacyvenski LB Harvard
6 175 James Williams WR Marshall
6 185 Tim Watson DT Rowan
6 190 John Hilliard DT Mississippi State
1999 - Seattle Seahawks
1 22 Lamar King DE Saginaw Valley State
3 77 Brock Huard QB Washington
3 82 Karsten Bailey WR Auburn
4 115 Antonio Cochran DE Georgia
5 140 Floyd Wedderburn T Penn State
5 152 Charlie Rogers WR Georgia Tech
6 170 Steve Johnson -- Tennessee

[ Edited by jojomellon on Nov 23, 2010 at 23:11:07 ]
Holmgren as GM

Another post on this site made me do some research, here is Holgren's drafting from his 4 years as Seahawks GM, 98-01.

2001 - Seattle Seahawks
1 9 Koren Robinson WR North Carolina State
1 17 Steve Hutchinson G Michigan
2 40 Ken Lucas CB Mississippi
3 82 Heath Evans RB Auburn
4 104 Orlando Huff LB Fresno State
4 127 Curtis Fuller DB Texas Christian
4 128 Floyd Womack G Mississippi State
5 140 Alex Bannister WR Eastern Kentucky
6 172 Josh Booty QB Louisiana State
7 210 Harold Blackmon DB Northwestern
7 222 Dennis Norman T Princeton
7 237 Kris Kocurek DT Texas Tech
2000 - Seattle Seahawks
1 19 Shaun Alexander RB Alabama
1 22 Chris McIntosh T Wisconsin
2 52 Ike Charlton CB Virginia Tech
3 80 Darrell Jackson WR Florida
4 116 Marcus Bell LB Arizona
4 119 Isaiah Kacyvenski LB Harvard
6 175 James Williams WR Marshall
6 185 Tim Watson DT Rowan
6 190 John Hilliard DT Mississippi State
1999 - Seattle Seahawks
1 22 Lamar King DE Saginaw Valley State
3 77 Brock Huard QB Washington
3 82 Karsten Bailey WR Auburn
4 115 Antonio Cochran DE Georgia
5 140 Floyd Wedderburn T Penn State
5 152 Charlie Rogers WR Georgia Tech
6 170 Steve Johnson -- Tennessee
1998 - Seattle Seahawks
1 15 Anthony Simmons OLB Clemson
2 47 Todd Weiner T Kansas State
3 76 Ahman Green RB Nebraska
4 108 DeShone Myles MLB Nevada-Reno
6 162 Carl Hansen DT Stanford
6 169 Bobby Shaw WR California
7 197 Jason McEndoo C Washington State

Who cares, look at the direction he has Cleveland pointed in. Besides, we're not debating him as GM, we're debating him as head coach. So far all I've seen you do is shoot down potential HCs because you don't want to go back to the WCO or whatever? What's your better idea, stick with Coach Singlecell?

Who cares, look at the direction he has Cleveland pointed in. Besides, we're not debating him as GM, we're debating him as head coach. So far all I've seen you do is shoot down potential HCs because you don't want to go back to the WCO or whatever? What's your better idea, stick with Coach Singlecell?

???? I wasnt saying his drafting was good or bad, just showing you some data. Plenty of people are discussing him as GM. Never shot down a potential coach solely based on the absurd notion that returning to the west coast offense will bring greatness. Maybe youre thinking of someone else.

???? I wasnt saying his drafting was good or bad, just showing you some data. Plenty of people are discussing him as GM. Never shot down a potential coach solely based on the absurd notion that returning to the west coast offense will bring greatness. Maybe youre thinking of someone else.

No I just seen you dissing Gruden also. They might not be 100% perfect, but they'd be a hell of a lot better than we have right now and both probably get us back to the playoffs. Holmgren can still be the head personnel guy and not be the GM who is solely picking players, he can still have that authority if he wanted that and not have to worry about the GM side of things 100%.

It's not absurd either, that attitude is exactly what I'm talking about. You're saying it's absurd to want a coach who runs an offense that we have tons of film on that just happens to be laying around in the old team security vault. You're saying it's absurd to want a coach that can be replaced by another coach that can keep the same system in place. Since we've gotten away from a WCO style head coach, we've dealt with 8 coordinators in the last 8 years I believe. That's pathetic, and you'll never win with that lack of continuity. The problem with a defensive HC is that when your offense does well, people want to promote your OC as their HC and then you're stuck looking for another system. That's one of the factors that completely f**ked us over.

BTW the 2 best teams in this s**tty division run the WCO. THe 2 best teamS in the NFC(Philly, GB) run the WCO. Plenty of playoff teams still run the WCO succesfully, and they do well with it. Out of the 6 projected NFC playoff teams, 3 of them run the WCO.

No I just seen you dissing Gruden also. They might not be 100% perfect, but they'd be a hell of a lot better than we have right now and both probably get us back to the playoffs. Holmgren can still be the head personnel guy and not be the GM who is solely picking players, he can still have that authority if he wanted that and not have to worry about the GM side of things 100%.

It's not absurd either, that attitude is exactly what I'm talking about. You're saying it's absurd to want a coach who runs an offense that we have tons of film on that just happens to be laying around in the old team security vault. You're saying it's absurd to want a coach that can be replaced by another coach that can keep the same system in place. Since we've gotten away from a WCO style head coach, we've dealt with 8 coordinators in the last 8 years I believe. That's pathetic, and you'll never win with that lack of continuity. The problem with a defensive HC is that when your offense does well, people want to promote your OC as their HC and then you're stuck looking for another system. That's one of the factors that completely f**ked us over.

BTW the 2 best teams in this s**tty division run the WCO. THe 2 best teamS in the NFC(Philly, GB) run the WCO. Plenty of playoff teams still run the WCO succesfully, and they do well with it. Out of the 6 projected NFC playoff teams, 3 of them run the WCO.

If Gruden is one of the best options we have to replace Singletary then god have mercy on us.

What offense do the other teams run?

You really didn't give any argument for Childress being a good OC. Yes, the Vikes made the playoffs with a crappy QB, but they had a great D and the best combination of running back and offensive line in the league. The offense of the Vikings doesn't appear to be inventive or unpredictable so I don't think Childress is really inventive or creative.

Childress only had one NFL OC position prior to being a HC and that was for the Eagles. While he was the OC of the Eagles Andy Reid called all of the plays so can you really can't grade Childress' OC prowess based on that job.

Once again I ask: Why does anyone consider Brad Childress a good OC?
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by Cleveland_Niner:
Holgrem is not going to happen. He said he is committed to fulfilling his obligation and contract in Cleveland. Be it as Vice President or coach, remains to be seen.

OK, then the guy from SI was totally lied to. I bet his wife LOVES Cleveland instead of their $5M house in Santa Cruz...bet she's thrilled about Ohio.

I am just saying, he has total say in Cleveland. He will not get that here with Praage and Jed.

I am sure has has sources, but what do those sources say about the contract he signed and that has indicated he would be complete that contract?
Sing lost Jed's 2011+ support after that Panthers loss (which in following echoed all the 'insider' talk from Maiocco that management will fire Sing unless he leads the team to the NFC Championship; ie, he'll be fired regardless of a post-season berth).

-Barely a week after those initial rumors circulated (following the London game's bye-week), Jim Trotter suddenly hears 'whispers' from reliable sources on the inside that everybody at 4949 HQ (from the scouting personnel to the janitor) thinks 100% that Mike Holmgren is going to coach this team in 2011.

Take it all as a grain of salt, but those are some interesting coincidences. -Even Mike Sando on ESPN radio thinks it's a high possibility, saying that Mike's still horribly unsatisfied with his coaching exit (out of Seattle), and wants revenge.

[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Nov 25, 2010 at 19:15:57 ]
AllNight audio: Holmgren, 49ers and more
By Mike Sando

You've probably heard the usual names associated with any potential San Francisco 49ers coaching search.

Jon Gruden stands out to me as an attractive potential candidate. He's an offensive-minded head coach who values the running game and has won without an elite quarterback. Gruden is also a big name with credibility in the Bay Area, qualities that couldn't hurt the 49ers' efforts to build a new stadium.

But what about Mike Holmgren?

For years, any 49ers coaching chatter has generally warranted at least a mention of the former Seattle and Green Bay head coach whose NFL career began under Bill Walsh in San Francisco. Holmgren is currently president of the Cleveland Browns, but he has hinted about a potential return to the sideline. If the Browns finish well enough for Eric Mangini to keep his job, where would that leave Holmgren?

ESPN's Jason Smith and I discussed that subject and others relating to the NFC West during our weekly conversation Tuesday night.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post?id=28197
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
We gotta make it happen, both Holmgren and Baalke can do that draft. Holmgren as HC would be
Share 49ersWebzone