SI: Holmgren as 49ers Coach in 2011?

• dald1
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 76Razor:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by 76Razor:
Originally posted by Cleveland_Niner:
Holgrem is not going to happen. He said he is committed to fulfilling his obligation and contract in Cleveland. Be it as Vice President or coach, remains to be seen.

OK, then the guy from SI was totally lied to. I bet his wife LOVES Cleveland instead of their $5M house in Santa Cruz...bet she's thrilled about Ohio.

just because they own a house in SC, doesn't mean he would take a job in SF. and yes, people are lied to all the time. reporters don't have wonder woman's magic lasso. lies happen.

as for your "axis of awesome": you have a better chance of getting natalie portman's vagina to whisper the winning lotto numbers to you while you eat it out.

no way in hell you land all three. i would go as far as to say that you get NONE of them.

however, if we have a chance at one of the three, i would say childress as an OC-with billick as HC.

Try and think through it, if you assume we actually have a coaching change:

1. Are rumors of Holmgren coming here true?
2. Who would Holmgren hire as a Head Coach?
3. Where will Childress OC next year?

1. if rumors were true, they would be called "fact". why would the niners leak such rumors? i don't see how it benefits them.

2. gruden would take his place with the browns. gruden may have ties to the niners, but he is a native of cleveland.

3. childress will land a HC job before he lands an OC job. and if it is a OC job, i could see him coming here, but it depends on who the head coach is.

gruden might have ties to cleaveland but they already have a coach...
this thread is the result of the mind being bombarded with crappy football for so many years.

carry on

[ Edited by Allx9er on Nov 23, 2010 at 11:31:27 ]
The Yorks are the laughingstock of the league. The idea that they could lure even one good football person here is a long shot. Only after hey go will there be hope.
Since we're playing in fantasyland here, can I join in?

HC-Mike Holmgren
OC-Brad Childress
DC-Marvin Lewis

Superbowl here we come!
You actually think that the Yorks are going to spend the money to bring in Holmgren, Gruden, and Childress? I'm guessing that would be over $15 million per season minimum. No chance that happens.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
You actually think that the Yorks are going to spend the money to bring in Holmgren, Gruden, and Childress? I'm guessing that would be over $15 million per season minimum. No chance that happens.

How much is playing good enough to get a new stadium worth?
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

How much is playing good enough to get a new stadium worth?

in the eyes of the yorks: NOT THAT MUCH.

history shows that they are not that willing to spend money on a coach, let alone the holy trinity (in many people's view).
This is unless the Holmgren rumors turn out to be a huge pipe dream, here's a realistic strategy:

HC: Marty Mornhinweg. (Served his time back as an assistant coach/solid Coordinator after a failed HC gig ala Belichick with Parcells before jumping to the Pats.)

OC: Brad Childress.

QB Coach: James Urban. (Mornhinweg's understudy in Philly, who could take over at OC when Childress hops to another HC job in 2-3 years).

DC: Jim Mora Jr./Wade Philips/Jack Del Rio.

GM: Michael Lombardi (he was our GM during our entire 1980s dynasty, did wonders for the Raiders. Jed said in his recent interview on KNBR that he changed his mind, and would hire an experienced 'president' figure if it would make the franchise better ).
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
QB Coach: James Urban. (Mornhinweg's understudy in Philly, who could take over at OC when Childress hops to another HC job in 2-3 years).

Can't make a lateral coaching move unless Reid permits such a move.
Originally posted by KRS-1:

True, in fact Urban could probably take Marty's place upon departure in Philly. I threw that in there cause I usually see time and time again, once coordinators break off from teams (to pursue HC careers) they tend to take their understudies with them to the next team (for coordinator jobs).

[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Nov 23, 2010 at 13:24:39 ]
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame

True, in fact Urban could probably take Marty's place upon departure in Philly. I threw that in there cause I usually see time and time again, once coordinators break off from teams (to pursue HC careers) they tend to take their understudies with them to the next team (for coordinator jobs).

I don't see Reid allowing his QB coach to leave if his OC takes a HC'ing job unless it is to become an OC. Doug Pederson is a possibility to succeed Urban as the QB coach if Reid promoted him or possibly someone MM would look to bring with him in the same capacity (QB coach). Pederson QB'ed in GB under Holmgren and worked with Reid then came to Philly in Reid's 1st year and now is on his staff. He has a vast knowledge of the WCO from Reid & Holmgren.
This is unless the Holmgren rumors turn out to be a huge pipe dream, here's a realistic strategy:

HC: Marty Mornhinweg. (Served his time back as an assistant coach/solid Coordinator after a failed HC gig ala Belichick with Parcells before jumping to the Pats.)

GM: Michael Lombardi (he was our GM during our entire 1980s dynasty, did wonders for the Raiders. Jed said in his recent interview on KNBR that he changed his mind, and would hire an experienced 'president' figure if it would make the franchise better ).

Eww I don't want Childress.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:

Eww I don't want Childress.

I wouldn't mind Childress as he's a pretty good OC, but, not so sure about Mora Jr as DC.
I am confused about why so many think Childress is a good OC. Reid called the plays when Childless was in Philly and the O in Minnesota only started dominating when he had both Favre and Peterson at the top of their game. I question if he really is a good OC.

I don't see Reid allowing his QB coach to leave if his OC takes a HC'ing job unless it is to become an OC. Doug Pederson is a possibility to succeed Urban as the QB coach if Reid promoted him or possibly someone MM would look to bring with him in the same capacity (QB coach). Pederson QB'ed in GB under Holmgren and worked with Reid then came to Philly in Reid's 1st year and now is on his staff. He has a vast knowledge of the WCO from Reid & Holmgren.

Mmmm great points!!!