LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 238 users in the forums

Source: Jon Gruden to be hired by Cleveland in 2011

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Is Mangini even going to lose his job as the HC in Cleveland??

They only have 2 wins but they played better than their record indicates and with 3 different starting QB's. A lot rides on how competitive they continue to play.

I have a hard time believing Gruden is already putting together a staff for this job when it doesn't look like Mangini is a sure bet to be fired.

that is what I was thinking as well. There hasn't been any real signs that Mangini will be fired. Now with Carolina and SF it is pretty clear that the HC's will get fired at the end of the season.

I think a lot of the Cleveland's turn around have been due more because of what Holmgrin has done than mangini. If the Browns win 6 games or less I don't see why Mangini can't be replaced.

Plus who in Cleveland wouldn't mind Gruden replacing Mangini even if he does win more than 6 games???
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Is Mangini even going to lose his job as the HC in Cleveland??

They only have 2 wins but they played better than their record indicates and with 3 different starting QB's. A lot rides on how competitive they continue to play.

I have a hard time believing Gruden is already putting together a staff for this job when it doesn't look like Mangini is a sure bet to be fired.

that is what I was thinking as well. There hasn't been any real signs that Mangini will be fired. Now with Carolina and SF it is pretty clear that the HC's will get fired at the end of the season.

I think a lot of the Cleveland's turn around have been due more because of what Holmgrin has done than mangini. If the Browns win 6 games or less I don't see why Mangini can't be replaced.

Plus who in Cleveland wouldn't mind Gruden replacing Mangini even if he does win more than 6 games???

Brian Daboll could be the one in jeopardy considering the offense is what is sputtering. The only excuse the offense has is that the guy they brought in to be starter has been hurt. The defense has improved quite a bit, a lot likely has to do with Holmgren's personnel moves.

But overall Cleveland's on field performance is improving, carrying over from the 4 game win streak they ended the 09 season with.
After reading this, if he is offered the Cle. job he takes it.

http://www.ohiomm.com/blogs/browns/2010/04/will-gruden-help-browns-pick-next-qb/

Damn, if only we got Holmgren
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:

http://www.ohiomm.com/blogs/browns/2010/04/will-gruden-help-browns-pick-next-qb/

Quote:
"Jon is like my son," Holmgren said of Gruden. "I did not see the show, but I plan to phone him and talk to him about it. There isn't a better, smarter young man than Jon Gruden and he understands the position. I would trust his judgment on all of that."

Gruden haters can hate but the Walrus knows! Goo goo g'joob!

Quote:
"Jon is like my son," Holmgren said of Gruden. "I did not see the show, but I plan to phone him and talk to him about it. There isn't a better, smarter young man than Jon Gruden and he understands the position. I would trust his judgment on all of that."

• ZRF80

Quote:

We better start rooting for Cleveland......cause if Mangini is out, Gruden's got a job.
Originally posted by ZRF80:

Quote:

We better start rooting for Cleveland......cause if Mangini is out, Gruden's got a job.

Let's go Browns...........
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Sorry but Cleveland is in the AFC and have 5 losses already... any victories they get will be more to do with Rob Ryan then Eric Mangini ...so he will be gone after the season
Good. Didn't want Gruden anyway.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:
Sorry but Cleveland is in the AFC and have 5 losses already... any victories they get will be more to do with Rob Ryan then Eric Mangini ...so he will be gone after the season

The offense and defense are actually performing better than they were last year. The team is playing a lot more competitively. That's what happens when you improve the talent level.

I thought for a minute Daboll could be in jeopardy but with 3 different QB's he has the Browns offense scoring more points and gaining more yards both on the ground and in the air than they did last year. They have made progress everywhere through 7 games including the win column. As they continue to add more talent they should continue to improve the number of wins as well, Mangini may very well be safe.

Tidbit from insider

ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter hosted a chat on ESPN.com Friday, and the hottest topic was that of Monday Night Football analyst Jon Gruden and his potential return to the coaching ranks.

Schefter fielded questions linking Gruden to every team from the Dallas Cowboys to the San Francisco 49ers to the Minnesota Vikings. He wrote this in response: "Jon Gruden has coaching in his soul. As good as he is in the booth, I'm fully expecting teams to make a run at him this off-season and give him a very difficult decision," Schefter writes. "But for the right situation, with the right organization, I think Gruden bolts the Monday Night booth and heads back to the sideline."

As for that Dallas possibility that's being thrown about, here's this from Gerry Fraley of the Dallas Morning News: out of Bill Cowher, John Fox and Gruden, Fox is the "most likely candidate" to be coaching Dallas in 2011.

• Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Tidbit from insider

ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter hosted a chat on ESPN.com Friday, and the hottest topic was that of Monday Night Football analyst Jon Gruden and his potential return to the coaching ranks.

Schefter fielded questions linking Gruden to every team from the Dallas Cowboys to the San Francisco 49ers to the Minnesota Vikings. He wrote this in response: "Jon Gruden has coaching in his soul. As good as he is in the booth, I'm fully expecting teams to make a run at him this off-season and give him a very difficult decision," Schefter writes. "But for the right situation, with the right organization, I think Gruden bolts the Monday Night booth and heads back to the sideline."

As for that Dallas possibility that's being thrown about, here's this from Gerry Fraley of the Dallas Morning News: out of Bill Cowher, John Fox and Gruden, Fox is the "most likely candidate" to be coaching Dallas in 2011.

I could buy John Fox going to Dallas. I think Jerry Jones is way too hands on as an owner/GM in order for him to co-exist with Gruden. That'd be a match made in Hell.
Tidbit from insider

Good to see were in the discussion.
  • ZRF80
Tidbit from insider

Ive read that Gruden would most likely go to the Cowboys if he had the choice, since they are the most playoff ready team. Chances are he goes to Cleveland or Dallas............SF would be a longshot.
What about Marty Schottenheimer (HC) & his brother Brian as an OC ? He could bring us up like he did in Cleveland, Kansas City & San Diego. & simply draft a QB in the draft.
[ Edited by Quitugua on Oct 31, 2010 at 6:09 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone