LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 263 users in the forums

Head Coach options for the 49ers in 2011: Who do you like and why?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Head Coach options for the 49ers in 2011: Who do you like and why?

Gruden ...he is a proven winner, plus he would give us an offensive minded coach that would get the best out of the talent we have on the roster.

Harbaugh is an unproven coach in the NFL and the Niners dont need anymore coaches with zero experience as a head coach, no more taking chances and hoping the coach will pan out, the fans have suffered enough and this needs to be fixed, I'm tired of watching a stale and boring offense, it's a shame cause the offense is loaded with talent, the predictable playcalling and the coaches philosophy of "grinding it out" is hurting the team, a one dimensional offense will only secure us a top 5 pick in next years draft
Cowher, easily. Gruden couldn't hold his jock.
Originally posted by strickac:
Cowher, easily. Gruden couldn't hold his jock.

Cowher is all but certain to NEVER step foot in San Francisco. He built a home in North Carolina, and has said out of his own mouth that he would only return to coaching if he could be close to his home.

Which pretty much means he's waiting on John Fox to be fired.

With Gruden, I think we're using the "genius" a little too loosely. He got canned in Tampa because the Bucs were flat out out awful on offense (excluding their Super Bowl run, and season under Garcia of course). Gruden has never built a young QB, and I question if he even has the ability to do so.

He has only won with established vets (Rich Gannon, Brad Johnson, and Jeff Garcia).

Instead of another retread, I think we need a young firebrand that knows offense, and can get our players all on the same page. Out of the current options that we have a realistic shot at, I think Harbaugh is the best available.
In reality Cowher wants to stay in the North/South division sector, Gruden loves his Tampa/MNF situation, and Jim Harbaugh is just too damn young/inexperienced for the NFL transition (would not take a gamble for another 3-4 years).

The real answers/coaches that would be best for us aren't even being mentioned, like Mike Mularky, Marty Mornhinweg, or Rick Dennison. All three of these guys are primed for HC gigs within the next year (and Mornhinweg/Dennison are both WCO boys; Marty mentored Favre, Garcia, and McNabb to Pro Bowls).

And if you really wanna go ballsy (but smart at the same time) Kyle Shanahan could come into this debate. He's younger than Harbaugh, but way more NFL experienced with the WCO (he's a Gruden; circa 1998 waiting to happen).
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Oct 5, 2010 at 9:16 PM ]
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
In reality Cowher wants to stay in the North/South division sector, Gruden loves his Tampa/MNF situation, and Jim Harbaugh is just too damn young/inexperienced for the NFL transition (would not take a gamble for another 3-4 years).

The real answers/coaches that would be best for us aren't even being mentioned, like Mike Mularky, Marty Mornhinweg, or Rick Dennison. All three of these guys are primed for HC gigs within the next year (and Mornhinweg/Dennison are both WCO boys; Marty mentored Favre, Garcia, and McNabb to Pro Bowls).

And if you really wanna go ballsy (but smart at the same time) Kyle Shanahan could come into this debate. He's younger than Harbaugh, but way more NFL experienced with the WCO (he's a Gruden; circa 1998 waiting to happen).

Marty Mornhinweg is another interesting prospect. He flamed out in Detroit but I wont hold that against him because....it was Detroit.

All good points. As long as this next coach is an offensive mind, I will take anything. It is time that the offense be set straight in San Fran. Preferably a WCO, set straight.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:

All good points. As long as this next coach is an offensive mind, I will take anything. It is time that the offense be set straight in San Fran. Preferably a WCO, set straight.

My top 3 are: (in no particular order)

1. Jim Harbaugh
2. Jon Gruden

And I would also like to add...

3. Marty Mornhinweg- Phiadelphia Eagles Asst. HC/Offensive Coordinator

What do you think about Eagles Asst. Head Coach/ Offensive Coordinator Marty Mornhinweg? Sure he didn't have much success as HC of the Detroit Lions, but most coaches haven't done well in Detroit. Some head coaches have failed in their first attempt. Just look at Bill Belichick from his days with the Cleveland Browns.

Mornhinweg has a previous history with our San Francisco 49ers and he can re-establish the West Coast Offense. I think most people around here would be happy!
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Harbaugh is the coach period.

~ Routinely takes lessor talent vs. more talented opponents and wins anyway...
~ Almost always out coaches and out schemes everybody he plays.
~ An Offensive genius.
~ Tremendous talent at developing QB's. People wouldn't even know who Andrew Luck is if not for him. Was the same way here in SD. At Univeristy of SD he took nobodies and they were talking about giving them looks in the pros (the QB)...
~ Tremendous passion for coaching.
~ Already sitting in the Bay Area and comfortable there.
~ IMO the best overall pro prospect college coach.

I AGREE! He is the guy I want. He is smart, tough, and focused. He has taken Stanford from a finese team to a tough no nonsense team that can physically play with anyone. Jim Harbaugh in 2011! ( And Jim.. bring Andrew with you)
I want a winner
Cowher is so overrated it is rediculous. He is a horrible coach. He coached Pitt for like 20 years...give me a break.

I don't know why people are bringing up Holmgren, who is by and far the best coach on the market. Personally, I would redo the whole front office and coaching staff.

If the York's were smart they would hire Holmgren as GM, keep Baalke as the main player/personel guy and then let Holmgren hire a coach.

Holmgren as GM and Gruden as HC would be filthy. Let Holmgren and Gruden decide who will be the QB of our future.

Originally posted by bigwads:
Cowher is so overrated it is rediculous. He is a horrible coach. He coached Pitt for like 20 years...give me a break.

I don't know why people are bringing up Holmgren, who is by and far the best coach on the market. Personally, I would redo the whole front office and coaching staff.

If the York's were smart they would hire Holmgren as GM, keep Baalke as the main player/personel guy and then let Holmgren hire a coach.

Holmgren as GM and Gruden as HC would be filthy. Let Holmgren and Gruden decide who will be the QB of our future.

Holmgren was a failure as GM in Seattle. No thanks. I like Gruden but still believe that Harbaugh is the future of our team
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by bigwads:

Holmgren was a failure as GM in Seattle. No thanks. I like Gruden but still believe that Harbaugh is the future of our team

Agreed. I have no idea why everyone is so high on Holmgren being hired as a Czar or GM. Do they forget that he was stripped of his GM duties in Seattle? Nor do I know why they chose to neglect the fact that he already has a job.

I've been on this Harbaugh/Luck bandwagon ever since the KC game. Harbaugh brings a stable, non-gimmick offense and has proven success with mediocre talent. While the only concern to me is that he has limited NFL experience, I think Harbaugh is the one college coach who I would be comfortable with to roll the dice. Plus, I think with Harbaugh as our HC, Luck may be tempted to come out and force himself to us. At least that's what I hopes he does.

I am confident that we have all the big pieces in place for a rookie QB to succeed.

-9fA
Kirk ferentz
I know there are some good college coaches out there but to me if we where like a team like Buffalo (before this season) who needs many pieces than you can afford to gamble on a college coach and start from scratch. We are a few key pieces away from playoffs (not giving up on this season) and I'd like to bring in a vet coach who has won before who could hit the ground running. Sort of help us reload and go... not someone who we would start all over with rebuilding. We have been rebuilding since 2003 so I'd like to make those 7/8 years worth something. Do you guys really want to start all over when we have the most talent we have had since 2003, maybe 2002?

Edit: If I had to pick a college coach to throw in the potential list I would say Harbaugh, Kirk Ferentz or maybe one or two others. Not a whole lot of guys I would gamble on. Either way no matter what we do we have to be well educated and voice our opinion because we have to get this right.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 7, 2010 at 2:35 AM ]
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by BenQ:
why is jon harbaugh in consideration. is he falling out in baltimore?

Share 49ersWebzone