There are 116 users in the forums

Lott gave a motivational speech to the saints before the game

Originally posted by TheVoiceOfReason:
Originally posted by mrnick49er:
So Did Jerry Rice He Gave A Speech To Seatle Before The Game Is Joe Montana Going To Speak To The Chiefs Before The Game

OK now if that happened I would be like WTF.

Why bring in legends from your own team?

I believe they are more than welcome, but these players are constantly being compared to the greatness of other HOF or great players "Who they play like or how they carry themselves". I read in an intervies once where PWILL was asked if thought he played like Ray Lewis or if he wanted too to be better than him. PWILL responded "I just wanna be Patrick Willis.

the saints don't have any legends.
who gives a f**k. he can talk all he wants, he helped make this team what it was, we have singletary to give speeches. the niners have a bunch of guys they dont need lott to blow in their ears to make them play better. good for lott. good for the saints. bring on the chiefs.
What does Lott owe the 49ers? He played for the Jets and the Raiders because the 49ers let him go. I can't believe all the hate on this board for a guy who was a legend, who had the tip of his pinky amputated so he could go out and play.

All you need to think about with Lott and the 49ers is how great he was when he played for them.
  • ptw1
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 335
It wasnt cool. But it's not surprising. Since the York's have taken control, they have distanced themselves and the team away from the BW area.
All I can say is that I don't like the fact other teams are using our legends to pump up their teams before games against us and I don't like them (our players) doing it, but hey, we got singletary here and he was a Bear that led us to a victory last season. Now I know he is a highly compensated salaried employee so there is a huge difference but I just don't want us to be hypocritical here. It touches me because I feel that if you are inducted into the HOF as a 49er then some things should b off limits 4 you and 1 of those things would b that if a team is playing the 49ers that week, then u decline to do anything to stand in our opponent's corner that week. You should consider it disrespect to go against family on fight night. Just look at the Manning family. Now Archie was a career Saint but when the Saints faced his family Peyton, he sided with Peyton. I would think that the 49ers would b considered more family then Sean Payton and the Saints. But then again if there was a $50000 speaking engagement fee attached, then Ronnie would have to look after his family (wife and kids????) and bring home the bread. With all this being said, I loved the players when they were niners and I still love them for what they contributed, but my my heart ain't gonna skip a beat now but for what the players who are out there doing something for the 49ers today. Imma live and die by what mike sing, the coaches, and the players wearing red and gold are doing right now and in the future
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
Originally posted by Digger25:
unless ronnie gets a paycheck signed by jed york, who cares? ronnie owes us nothing. if he were truly appreciated by this organization, he would be brought in to do "motivational speeches" or give coaching tips to our DBs-which i think he has (mays). if anything, we owe ronnie and any other great niner from the past. again, this is the front office not keeping history as a part of our present and future. a man has got to eat and feed his family, if he was paid, good for him. like someone mentioned, maybe singletary should have asked first.

oh sorry, i forgot he was playing for the niners for free. I cant believe you think there is nothing wrong with that, thats the most low class thing ive ever heard a player do. what ever happend to loyalty?

Ask Montana that when he got to Kansas City. The NFL is a business. Lott has been out of the league for years and he might need the money. s**t, this guy cut his finger off to play for us and you want to talk about loyalty?

He cut his finger off to finish a game while playing for the J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets.

FAIL

It was the top of his pinky finger youngen. In a game against the Cowboys while playing for the us.
So...you're all gonna spit hate on a guy that is maybe the best DB ever...a guy that was with us for four super bowls...a hall of famer...because his friend asked him to talk to his players?

Wow. That is so retarded that if Corky from "Life Goes On" read this thread, he'd say, "Wow...this sh*t is pretty f*cking retarded."

Put down the haterade, stop being a homer, and listen to Ronnie break the game down on KNBR this week. He loves the team, and knows the guys. He's still good friends with Keena Turner, and he spends plenty of time around our boys. The guy is a legend, and no matter who he talks to, he'll always be OUR legend.

Go Niners. That is all.
So, what??
I love Lott, he's a great guy and was a great defensive back. I have lost no respect for him what so ever.

[ Edited by insanemike27 on Sep 22, 2010 at 07:06:14 ]
Quite frankly, I respect Ronnie Lott. He is a winner and always will be. I see nothing wrong with what he did. If payton asa friend asked him to speak with his team, Ronnie as a friend simply agreed to it. I must add, he must have done a splendid job as they did enough to win in a hostile environment. I believe most to the posters here may not know or even remember of Ronnie Lott and the type of person that he is. I am sure if Sing asked him to speak with our team, he would be more than happy too. Same with Young, Rice, Craig etc. I don't see the big deal guys. We have our own coach who continues to motivate our players, even Rathman is here on a daily basis to help motivate the players. Guys, this is not right how Ronnie is beng soken of here.

I feel the current owners and coaches have NOT taken advantage of it's past players and the success they brought to this franchise. Sure I would like to see more of Ronnie, Craig, Montanna, Rice, etc; but they have to be invited. I can't wven say it is a coachbias because coach Sing has not even invited his past teammates to speak to the team. Seems like that just the way it is guys. Lighten up on Ronnie Lott.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 27,069
Originally posted by susweel:
Maybe if Singletary asked he would have gave our team one also.

I think Sing's ego is too big to let someone come in and out-motivational-speech him.

Also, the York's have forcefully cut ties with everything Eddie D related, also because of their egos and arrogance.
Originally posted by Legbreaker:
So...you're all gonna spit hate on a guy that is maybe the best DB ever...a guy that was with us for four super bowls...a hall of famer...because his friend asked him to talk to his players?

Wow. That is so retarded that if Corky from "Life Goes On" read this thread, he'd say, "Wow...this sh*t is pretty f*cking retarded."

Put down the haterade, stop being a homer, and listen to Ronnie break the game down on KNBR this week. He loves the team, and knows the guys. He's still good friends with Keena Turner, and he spends plenty of time around our boys. The guy is a legend, and no matter who he talks to, he'll always be OUR legend.

Go Niners. That is all.
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by susweel:
Maybe if Singletary asked he would have gave our team one also.

I think Sing's ego is too big to let someone come in and out-motivational-speech him.

Also, the York's have forcefully cut ties with everything Eddie D related, also because of their egos and arrogance.

He already said any ex players are more then welcome to come in
To me it's obvious that Sean Peyton, Pete Carroll and the rest of the league etc. are very well aware of the success and the legends that the 49ers of the 80's and early 90's had. I think it's great that we are the team that is molded. Hell look at how many teams have used the WCO since Bill Walsh made it iconic.

If our own organization can't recognize it's own history by keeping our legends involved today, than that is no ones fault but our own. Hey maybe they do keep them involved from time to time. I remember Joe was watching a practice during TC. I've heard of Lott mentoring Taylor Mays. I've heard of Rice coming in to watch practices as well. George Seifert was in the house after our loss to the Seahawks (reason still unknown). I mean, maybe we are keeping the past successes of our franchise involved to a point.

The thing is, we can't just ask any ex 49er to NOT talk to any other teams. I like the fact that we are recognized as trend setters, role models, players to mold ourselves after. I remember hearing about Sean Peyton in the playoffs last year. He had Lott talk to his team in the locker room then too before the Vikes Game. You know who Minnesota had speaking to them? Pants On The Ground man lol. We know the outcome of that game.

Later Super Bowl week you know what Sean Peyton did? He met his players in the lobby dressed like a bellhop with a bell cart and helped them all with their luggage? Do you know what other coach did that? Can you see that he obviously sees the successes of our franchise, our coaches and our players of old and wants to mold the culture of his franchise after ours? You just can't be mad at that. We should be proud other teams are doing this.

[ Edited by zozell on Sep 22, 2010 at 08:03:16 ]
Originally posted by zozell:
To me it's obvious that Sean Peyton, Pete Carroll and the rest of the league etc. are very well aware of the success and the legends that the 49ers of the 80's and early 90's had. I think it's great that we are the team that is molded. Hell look at how many teams have used the WCO since Bill Walsh made it iconic.

If our own organization can't recognize it's own history by keeping our legends involved today, than that is no ones fault but our own. Hey maybe they do keep them involved from time to time. I remember Joe was watching a practice during TC. I've heard of Lott mentoring Taylor Mays. I've heard of Rice coming in to watch practices as well. George Seifert was in the house after our loss to the Seahawks (reason still unknown). I mean, maybe we are keeping the past successes of our franchise involved to a point.

The thing is, we can't just ask any ex 49er to NOT talk to any other teams. I like the fact that we are recognized as trend setters, role models, players to mold ourselves after. I remember hearing about Sean Peyton in the playoffs last year. He had Lott talk to his team in the locker room then too before the Vikes Game. You know who Minnesota had speaking to them? Pants On The Ground man lol. We know the outcome of that game.

Later Super Bowl week you know what Sean Peyton did? He met his players in the lobby dressed like a bellhop with a bell cart and helped them all with their luggage? Do you know what other coach did that? Can you see that he obviously sees the successes of our franchise, our coaches and our players of old and wants to mold the culture of his franchise after ours? You just can't be mad at that. We should be proud other teams are doing this.

I get your point but motivational speech's can only do so much. Lott vs Singletary speech's before a playoff game doesn't have S%$# to do with the outcome. Singletary didn't cause the 4-5 turnovers in that game nor did he cause the 4 turnover in the MNF game... As for us being a model organization I agree 100%. I may not post on here much but I remember what it was like when Steve Deberg was our QB, and most people on here probably don't know who that is. The problem is that WE need to model ourselves from the teams of OUR PAST and F^%$ the rest of the NFL DOES!
Share 49erswebzone