LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 513 users in the forums

Lott gave a motivational speech to the saints before the game

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by ttime1:
So what?????? He is qualified to speak to champions and the Saints are the champions representing a city which was devistated. He is more than qualified to speak about the love of the game and what it means to be blessed to play and represent one's self as champions. This is really not a discussion that he can have with the current 49ers organization that has all but isolated itself from its history. The current organization has not earned; or maybe even deserve such.

So just because they were hit by a beastly hurricane 5 years ago everyone has to kiss their ass now? I felt sorry for them and all but f**k that, I don't give a crap about it in relation to football. Guys like Rod Woodson have been more helpful recently to our org than a guy like Lott has, and Rod only played here for 1 year yet he was here giving our DBs tips and speaches and talking to guys. Lott was a great player and did a lot for the 49ers but the 9ers did a lot for him, obviously Eddie was there and Jed is pretty close to him so to say that we haven't earned the right or deserve the right for these guys to talk to our team is BS. He might not be a traitor but that doesn't mean I have to like him pumping up the OPPOSING TEAM.
Lott also gave a motivational speech to the Saints before the NFC Championship game last year.
i always get motivated when i enter the zone
to me is a classless move for Ronnie and frankly not ethically correct... Ronnie uses his position as a former player and 49ers fan as he has said before to talk about the 49ers he even has a weekly show on knbr that specifically emphases on the 49ers, so for him to go right before the game and inspire a team so that they can go and beat the niners, to me is very classless and I hope Murph and Mac ask him that on Friday and see what was his excuse..
  • Mex49
No more motivational speeches from anybody for two years.

Bad timing on Lott's part. Not appreciated. Still love ya
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
So what?????? He is qualified to speak to champions and the Saints are the champions representing a city which was devistated. He is more than qualified to speak about the love of the game and what it means to be blessed to play and represent one's self as champions. This is really not a discussion that he can have with the current 49ers organization that has all but isolated itself from its history. The current organization has not earned; or maybe even deserve such.

So just because they were hit by a beastly hurricane 5 years ago everyone has to kiss their ass now? I felt sorry for them and all but f**k that, I don't give a crap about it in relation to football. Guys like Rod Woodson have been more helpful recently to our org than a guy like Lott has, and Rod only played here for 1 year yet he was here giving our DBs tips and speaches and talking to guys. Lott was a great player and did a lot for the 49ers but the 9ers did a lot for him, obviously Eddie was there and Jed is pretty close to him so to say that we haven't earned the right or deserve the right for these guys to talk to our team is BS. He might not be a traitor but that doesn't mean I have to like him pumping up the OPPOSING TEAM.

THat's your opinion which you are entitled to. I suspect that Ronnie and others could give a F*ck about the way you feel.
I see no problem with the man speaking when and where he sees fit. However, I do question why he would do it before the 49ers played an enormously important football game on the same field on which Ronnie Lott forged his HOF career.

On a related note, it has bothered me for a long time the way the 49ers organization has not made use of the valuable resources that are the 49er alumni. Considering most of the great players live in the Bay Area, it is pathetic and frankly disrespectful that the 49ers do not try and involve the players from the glory years. Yet somehow, our opponents have managed to do so the last two weeks...
God, this is so overblown.
Maybe he has been a major part of the Katrina aftermath and he has love for the city of New Orleans. I can respect it. The Saints have been a good story for the NFL.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

THat's your opinion which you are entitled to. I suspect that Ronnie and others could give a F*ck about the way you feel.

Well I'm a 9er fan so if he doesn't give a f**k about how the fan's feel than what does that say about him? This is the same guy that comes on KNBR every week and supposedly cheers for his former team!

Originally posted by strinersniners:
Lott is a former great player. Lott was also rude to me during a signing. I am and will always be a Niner fan. Dwight Clark is a great former player and is a people person. Dwight had no problem signing autographs and having photos taken.

Not to judge you or anything but I am around the other side of that coin almost on a daily basis. For the most part fans are pretty cool but there are a lot of clueless fans who ask the stupidest questions, try to come up with the cleverest comments and make the most ridiculous demands. It gets old.

They are human too. They may be contracted or obligated to be at an autograph session but just because they play football well doesn't mean they want to be there that they're good with people or enjoy doing them. A guy like Ronnie Lott might not get why the hell someone would want his autograph cuz at the end of the day, he realizes he's just a guy and for all those years he was just doing his job the best he could. In his mind: big damn deal.

Also shyness is often mistaken for rudeness...who knows maybe someone (wife) had just crapped on him and he just wasn't up to the task. And yes some people are better with the peeps than others. Big surprise there. Doesn't mean they're trying to be rude. Maybe they just aren't equipped at that moment to deal with an emotionally draining no-lifer seeking their autograph.

Dwight Clark may have been better at masking what he really thought of the autograph session than Lott was. Sorry for being brutally honest but there you go. That's the other side of the coin you aren't seeing.
So Did Jerry Rice He Gave A Speech To Seatle Before The Game Is Joe Montana Going To Speak To The Chiefs Before The Game
Originally posted by darkknight49:
God, this is so overblown.

Roger that.

But what's a tea cup without a proper storm?

[ Edited by BubbaParisMVP on Sep 22, 2010 at 00:18:04 ]
Originally posted by mrnick49er:
So Did Jerry Rice He Gave A Speech To Seatle Before The Game Is Joe Montana Going To Speak To The Chiefs Before The Game

OK now if that happened I would be like WTF.

Why bring in legends from your own team?

I believe they are more than welcome, but these players are constantly being compared to the greatness of other HOF or great players "Who they play like or how they carry themselves". I read in an intervies once where PWILL was asked if thought he played like Ray Lewis or if he wanted too to be better than him. PWILL responded "I just wanna be Patrick Willis.
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
Originally posted by Digger25:
unless ronnie gets a paycheck signed by jed york, who cares? ronnie owes us nothing. if he were truly appreciated by this organization, he would be brought in to do "motivational speeches" or give coaching tips to our DBs-which i think he has (mays). if anything, we owe ronnie and any other great niner from the past. again, this is the front office not keeping history as a part of our present and future. a man has got to eat and feed his family, if he was paid, good for him. like someone mentioned, maybe singletary should have asked first.

oh sorry, i forgot he was playing for the niners for free. I cant believe you think there is nothing wrong with that, thats the most low class thing ive ever heard a player do. what ever happend to loyalty?

Ask Montana that when he got to Kansas City. The NFL is a business. Lott has been out of the league for years and he might need the money. s**t, this guy cut his finger off to play for us and you want to talk about loyalty?

He cut his finger off to finish a game while playing for the J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets.
Share 49ersWebzone