LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 142 users in the forums

Taylor Mays traded to the Bengals

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by tommyncal:
Originally posted by GoGetit:
First he wasn't given a chance early in camp. Trent made a huge blunder in sending out the email to the 31 teams because he was trying to get back at Sing. Our leadership in very unprofessional and green. We'll see how far Fangio and his defense last this season. I think Taylor handle himself with class and dignity. It shows that he comes from a high end family$. I for one wish him the best and I HOPE this comes back to haunt Trent and the rest of our administration. You don't treat people like this..even in business setting. You use the players strengths don't knock is weaknesses as an excuse.

That's quite a stereotype you have identified!

that dude's whole post is funny. Trent wouldn't have put him on the block unless Fangio decided he couldnt cover and make plays on the ball. Mays is lucky that Trent made an effort to deal him early so he could catch on with another team, rather than dumping him at the end of preseason.
It'd be awesome to get a 3rd, but sounds like it'll be a 4th. I'll still be happy with a 5th, or even a 7th since the writing was on the wall that he wasn't going to make the team. Whatever pick it is, it should be very early in the round.

I wish him he best and hope he can find a place and position to carve out a productive career.
I feel like Baalke should be taking more heat for this.

I don't care how much Singletary yelled. Baalke was still the GM that drafted Mays in the second round.

Either Baalke made the pick, or he wasn't in charge of his own draft. Either way he has to take blame for totally wasting a high pick.
Wasn't the Draft Board already official before Baalke became GM a week or two before the draft?
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
4th rd pick pending physical

So we're getting a 4th round pick after trading away a 4th last year for no reason, so now we're just down a 2nd rounder.

Thanks Singletary.

A) tracked that source of the 4th round rumor down to a poster on 49ers.com who said he talked to his buddy inside the organization... so it could be complete BS. However, the fact there were 5 inquiries and 3 offers means we probably got a 5th or better IMO. But again so far the only facts reporters have published are who offered, not what they offered.

B) Any draft pick for a player who was about to be cut is a win in my book. These coaches had no ties to him, if he didnt fit then ship him out.

Understood. However, my complaint was Singletary wasting the 2nd round pick on him in the first place.
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
Wasn't the Draft Board already official before Baalke became GM a week or two before the draft?

Baalke had shared responsibilities with Singletary.

He wasn't officially hired as GM until this past offseason.
f**k for real, dammit who the f**k is going to teach this team how to dougie because reggie smith cant.
[ Edited by stunder49 on Aug 23, 2011 at 1:28 AM ]
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:

I don't care how much Singletary yelled. Baalke was still the GM that drafted Mays in the second round.

Either Baalke made the pick, or he wasn't in charge of his own draft. Either way he has to take blame for totally wasting a high pick.

A good GM picks the way his coach wants to. Usually the ciach knows the best what kind of players he needs, exeoct if you're the coach of the Raders then you have a bunch Track&Fileld guys in pads

I think he'd be the first person to tell you he made a mistake with the pick with the pick.
So what do we get?

He wasn't the GM. I don't know where people get the idea that Baalke was a GM last year? McC dropped from the Niners about 2 months from the draft last year and Baalke was just filling in as a interim GM. He certainly did not have the final say on matters, as Singletary still held control over the roster, he was merely an caretaker of sorts that was to make sure the organization didn't fall apart till they could perform a real search for a GM.

Baalke wasn't hired to be the GM until this last off-season. Remember all the drama surrounding his hiring? Remember Jed talking about searching under every rock to find the best GM for the position? Remember Michael Lombardi slamming the Niners for their sham search?

In other words, IT WASN'T HIS OWN DRAFT... he assisted in it, but certainly did not have final say.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:

He wasn't the GM. I don't know where people get the idea that Baalke was a GM last year? McC dropped from the Niners about 2 months from the draft last year and Baalke was just filling in as a interim GM. He certainly did not have the final say on matters, as Singletary still held control over the roster, he was merely an caretaker of sorts that was to make sure the organization didn't fall apart till they could perform a real search for a GM.

Baalke wasn't hired to be the GM until this last off-season. Remember all the drama surrounding his hiring? Remember Jed talking about searching under every rock to find the best GM for the position? Remember Michael Lombardi slamming the Niners for their sham search?

In other words, IT WASN'T HIS OWN DRAFT... he assisted in it, but certainly did not have final say.

If I remember correctly McDouche was let go 2 to 3 weeks before the draft
McCloughan was let go on March 18th, 2010. So a little over a month before the draft. Like you guys said, Baalke wasn't considered the GM. I'm sure he had some input on the draft but from what I remember, Singeltary had complete control of the roster and had final say on the draft picks. Baalke really didn't have any power at all last year, even after the draft.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Wowzers if we actually get a 4th/possible 3rd for him. I thought we would get like a 7th or nothing and have to cut him. Good job Baalke.
Bye Mays.
[ Edited by ace49ers on Aug 23, 2011 at 6:56 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone