Not a member? Register Now!

Tom Brady...a 49er in 2011?

Originally posted by 5ringsLookinFor6:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
I'd rather have Alex Smith play good and not have QB as a question at the end of the year.

So would all of us, like most of us has said, IF Smith doesn't pan out, we SHOULD pick him up.

Did you read the rest of my post?I don't think Brady's gonna even be avialble next offseason.The Pats won't get rid of Brady til 2012 at the earliest.The Raiders No. 1 Could easliy trun into Locker/Mallett/Luck but NE develops QBs at least for a full year or longer.I could see them franchising him (if the franchise is still in the CBA) for 2 years or giving him a 3 year deal with huge bonus money and low base salaries and trading him with a year left on the deal.So if Smith isn't the answer this year we're picking up someone else not Brady

And why would Brady go for that? Brady's not going to resign with them unless he thinks they're 110% committed to him, and he's certainly not going to take less money only to get screwed.

I think what you guys are missing is New England's not a franchise that's afraid to change. When the dynasty is over they're going to move on. It's how they built their franchise. Look at Randy Moss echoing similiar concerns about his status as a Patriot. The Patriots could go 13-3 next season and all of this will dynasty over talk will be put in the closet, but if they don't take a step up from last season make no mistake about there's going to be changes.

In either scenario Brady wouldn't be taking less.The franchise number for QBs is nearly 20M and and huge guarnateed money on a multi-year deal would make up for it.I just don't see them getting rid of Brady til there's a realistic option behind him which they won't have a shot at til next year's draft

Let's play your franchise tag scenario out quickly. New England tags Brady then drafts a rookie in the 1st. You just divided your locker room to the point of no return. That's a distraction no team wants to deal with. Tom's not going to help that rookie out. Not to mention that Tom is going to be beyond p*ssed off that he's stuck on a rebuilding franchise.

On an extension though Brady stands to lose some money. Because of the 30% rule Brady can only make 6+ million base salary next year. So in order for New England to give Tom his payday they have to get creative and give him a large signing bonus and walk the not likely to be earned incentive line like we did with P Wil to fill the rest of the contract. Don't get me wrong they can work a contract out, but a better contract is waiting for him if he doesn't sign an extension this year.

[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jun 7, 2010 at 14:02:26 ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
I'd rather have Alex Smith play good and not have QB as a question at the end of the year.

So would all of us, like most of us has said, IF Smith doesn't pan out, we SHOULD pick him up.

Did you read the rest of my post?I don't think Brady's gonna even be avialble next offseason.The Pats won't get rid of Brady til 2012 at the earliest.The Raiders No. 1 Could easliy trun into Locker/Mallett/Luck but NE develops QBs at least for a full year or longer.I could see them franchising him (if the franchise is still in the CBA) for 2 years or giving him a 3 year deal with huge bonus money and low base salaries and trading him with a year left on the deal.So if Smith isn't the answer this year we're picking up someone else not Brady

And why would Brady go for that? Brady's not going to resign with them unless he thinks they're 110% committed to him, and he's certainly not going to take less money only to get screwed.

I think what you guys are missing is New England's not a franchise that's afraid to change. When the dynasty is over they're going to move on. It's how they built their franchise. Look at Randy Moss echoing similiar concerns about his status as a Patriot. The Patriots could go 13-3 next season and all of this will dynasty over talk will be put in the closet, but if they don't take a step up from last season make no mistake about there's going to be changes.

In either scenario Brady wouldn't be taking less.The franchise number for QBs is nearly 20M and and huge guarnateed money on a multi-year deal would make up for it.I just don't see them getting rid of Brady til there's a realistic option behind him which they won't have a shot at til next year's draft

Let's play your franchise tag scenario out quickly. New England tags Brady then drafts a rookie in the 1st. You just divided your locker room to the point of no return. That's a distraction no team wants to deal with. Tom's not going to help that rookie out. Not to mention that Tom is going to be beyond p*ssed off that he's stuck on a rebuilding franchise.

On an extension though Brady stands to lose some money. Because of the 30% rule Brady can only make 6+ million base salary next year. So in order for New England to give Tom his payday they have to get creative and give him a large signing bonus and walk the not likely to be earned incentive line like we did with P Wil to fill the rest of the contract. Don't get me wrong they can work a contract out, but a better contract is waiting for him if he doesn't sign an extension this year.

$80 mil for 8 years, $65 mil SB. Make it happen!!!

Frickin Pats fans would just lose it if they lost Brady!!!!
  • ann-wang
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Well

Maybe not a Patriot

Pot Smoking Michael Silver says there is a growing disconnect between the Pats and Brady.. Brady is in a contract year and has not had any solid negotiations

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-trippinwednesday060210

http://www.2009allstar.com/products/?New-England-Patriots-s331_p1.html
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by ann-wang:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Well

Maybe not a Patriot

Pot Smoking Michael Silver says there is a growing disconnect between the Pats and Brady.. Brady is in a contract year and has not had any solid negotiations

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-trippinwednesday060210

http://www.2009allstar.com/products/?New-England-Patriots-s331_p1.html

Can I ask you why did you post this link??
Alex Smith > Tom Brady
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Alex Smith > Tom Brady

Can't be pot you're smoking. Must be meth you are toking. Or you just fly fished and hooked me on your sarcasm.

Some people here need to realize some comments are being made based on Alex Smith's season. If he does well, he will be resigned and that is the end of discussion. If not, Everyone here wants Brady.

Favre, is ancient history, but he proves you can't always discounnt age, Montana still did well also. Another, person to look at is Plunket- He had his glory years when he was ancient history and won SB with the raiders. Another supposed washed up QB that won it was that guy from the Saints-what was his name?

Question is what are the 49ers willing to give up? Brady may have another 2-3 good years after this year. So are you willing to spend draft picks or the future for a chance at the SB? All I can say is if I knew he would play only 2-3 seasons, but in that time win a SB, I would be willing to give part of the future away (meaning a two 1st).

If the pats franchise him (pending CBA) the niners could still sign him and make him an offer he can't refuse and that pats might not want to match cause they rather have the two first round picks instead.

What we are willing to pay him is not up to Singletary, it is up to Jed and Parathe. If I had to guess, Jed wants that first SB so he can show Uncle Eddie and say so how do you like me now? To which uncle eddie will show him his one hand, with 5 rings for each finger. to wich they will both laugh and jed will say-only four more to go. One thing is for sure-if they do go to another SB-I will pay whatever to get a ticket and plane and hotel-might be the last chance I have
If anyone watches PTI they were asking Peter king about bradys contract situation and asked if he thought Brady could be playing for a callifornia team in the near future. Also that he's wondering why he had to wait until the last year of his contract to get a extension. He'll be making 2 million less than David gerrard.

I thought it was interesting because he mentioned California and I doubt he was talking about the raiders.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Snider8706:
If anyone watches PTI they were asking Peter king about bradys contract situation and asked if he thought Brady could be playing for a callifornia team in the near future. Also that he's wondering why he had to wait until the last year of his contract to get a extension. He'll be making 2 million less than David gerrard.

I thought it was interesting because he mentioned California and I doubt he was talking about the raiders.

And well, what did he say??

And well, what did he say??

During yet another boring ass drive down to LA last weekend, I was listening to the NFL channel on satellite radio and they had an interview with Tom, very interesting to hear him talk about his situation in NE. He was definitely stressing how important it was to be close to his family especially now that he has a kid and how important it was to balance the two, football and family. Also he mentioned how it was a whole new ballgame in NE, that they are getting rid of all their history, Cheatichek wants to forget about the past and move on to the future. They even took all the pictures of the walls! It really sounded like he wanted to be close to his family, now I dont know if San Fran is close enough to LA but its dam closer than NE. Yeah SD is real close but they got a good QB already.
Who knows but the door is open, and as previous posts have pointed out, our young jed would open that wallet wide to get Tom here, and prove he can be a worthy succeser to uncle Eddie.
You guys ever hear of the franchise tag? NE wouldnt just let BRADY WALK! hecked theyd trade him and get 3 first rounders in return.
hopefully smith goes off this year so we dont have to worry about tom's future. i would hate giving to 1st round picks and a huge contract to an aging QB, cap hell all over again. no thanks. some success for a decade of futility is no fun.
Originally posted by DaFaro49ers:
You guys ever hear of the franchise tag? NE wouldnt just let BRADY WALK! hecked theyd trade him and get 3 first rounders in return.

The franchise tag isn't a guarantee this year with the collective bargaining agreement expiring.

Reports are that Brady and New England are making significant strides to a new contract and a deal should be done midseason. It's a slim to none chance that he's going to be available.
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame

There were referencing the LA Riots (once the Jags move to LA of course )
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
hopefully smith goes off this year so we dont have to worry about tom's future. i would hate giving to 1st round picks and a huge contract to an aging QB, cap hell all over again. no thanks. some success for a decade of futility is no fun.

I would s**t bricks if Brady and his love for the Niners brought him to this team... way too much has to happen for this to even become slightly possible I think. sighhhhhhhhh