Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by 5ringsLookinFor6:
I'd rather have Alex Smith play good and not have QB as a question at the end of the year.

So would all of us, like most of us has said, IF Smith doesn't pan out, we SHOULD pick him up.

I don't recall you saying that, at least not in this thread anyway. According to you we should trade Smith, a 1st, a 3rd, AND a 5th for a then 34 year old immobile QB on the downside of his career, not to mention the knee injury.

That would be the most ridiculous trade ever. I'm not saying Brady is no good anymore, but definitely not worth what you're willing to give up. Think about why the Pats would be willing to part ways with the guy who won them 3 SB's. They know more than you or I, and maybe that's that he just doesn't have it anymore.

It's like no one remembers the last playoff game Brady played in. He sucked.

lol and you're a 49er fan? What happened with Joe Montana? Joe had 4 SB's.

wtf does being a 49er fan have to do with what I said. Joe doesn't belong in this conversation.

How doesn't he? Why would we get rid of a quarterback that won us 4 SB's? I'm just making a point here.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Obviously the team felt it was better to part ways. We had Steve Young in the wings. Yeah hold onto an old QB for nostalgia's sake. You'll be successful.

The point I'M trying to make is that Brady's borderline washed up. If he wasn't, this thread would not exist. For those of you that think he's going to come here and be the QB he was 3+ years ago, you're delusional.

Brett Favre says hi

OMG Brett Favre now? Eff you guys I'm done.

Yeah God forbid anyone ever want a Pro Bowl quarterback.

We need to stick with Alex for life. By the end of the year he might have 2 300 yard games for his career in 60 some starts.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jun 6, 2010 at 10:33 AM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I'd rather have Alex Smith play good and not have QB as a question at the end of the year.

So would all of us, like most of us has said, IF Smith doesn't pan out, we SHOULD pick him up.

I don't recall you saying that, at least not in this thread anyway. According to you we should trade Smith, a 1st, a 3rd, AND a 5th for a then 34 year old immobile QB on the downside of his career, not to mention the knee injury.

That would be the most ridiculous trade ever. I'm not saying Brady is no good anymore, but definitely not worth what you're willing to give up. Think about why the Pats would be willing to part ways with the guy who won them 3 SB's. They know more than you or I, and maybe that's that he just doesn't have it anymore.

Umm in this thread is where I said it: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=142302&page=2, you even replied to it.

Your telling me, the Pats would be willing to let him go because hes on his way to being washed up. LOL, Steve Young won his first Super Bowl when he was 33, then went on to the Pro Bowl 4 times after that. Tom Brady washed up, you do know that he threw for 4,400 yards last year with 28 TD's and 13 picks. If that's washed up, what does that make Alex Smith, dude has a hard time getting to 3,000. Then your gonna bring up Brady's last playoff game, LOL, whens the last time we been to the playoffs. Brady is a big reason why they consistently GET to the playoffs. Smith only wishes he could be the playmaker Brady is.

I can't believe I'm arguing a debate where its Smith vs. Brady. Brady could play, what, another 7-8 years, and we're on the verge of giving Smith one more chance.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by tjd808185:

lol and you're a 49er fan? What happened with Joe Montana? Joe had 4 SB's.

wtf does being a 49er fan have to do with what I said. Joe doesn't belong in this conversation.

How doesn't he? Why would we get rid of a quarterback that won us 4 SB's? I'm just making a point here.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Obviously the team felt it was better to part ways. We had Steve Young in the wings. Yeah hold onto an old QB for nostalgia's sake. You'll be successful.

The point I'M trying to make is that Brady's borderline washed up. If he wasn't, this thread would not exist. For those of you that think he's going to come here and be the QB he was 3+ years ago, you're delusional.

Brett Favre says hi

OMG Brett Favre now? Eff you guys I'm done.

Yeah God forbid anyone ever want a Pro Bowl quarterback.

We need to stick with Alex for life. By the end of the year he might have 2 300 yard games for his career in 60 some starts.

Watch how much Washington will improve with McNabb in the drivers seat.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by English:
Brady's base salary this season is 3.4 million dollars. With the 30% rule in place it complicates how much he can actually make on a contract extension.

I think both sides wait til this deal expires, and plot their next move after that. If New England takes another step back this season they could go into official rebuild mode. Don't forget that New England has Oakland's pick this offseason. They could be in perfect position to land Brady's replacement. Also the franchise tag is up in the air this year. I know it seems ridiculous that New England would let Brady go, but I think there's a strong possibility of that happening.

And if Brady does hit the market, we seriously need to be the front runners for him. Even if he were up for trade, give NE a 1st, 3rd, 5th round picks and Alex Smith in return for Brady ASAP. Man they would have 3 1st round picks, they rebuild their offense all in one season with a 1st round that could possibly look like this:

1a. Ryan Mallet, Jake Locker, Andrew LLuck

1b. Mark Ingram, Ryan Williams, DeMarco Murray

1c. AJ Green, Julio Jones, Jonathan Baldwin

And if we made that trade they'd still be good enough to be a possible wild card, which isn't too much of a drop off.

A 1st, a 3rd, a 5th and our starting qb? Are you serious? That would go down as the 49ers second OJ Simpson deal.

No.

You really think so, that doesn't even equal two 1st round picks, and Smith has hardly been a starting QB since last year. And I'd take my chances with Brady any day than what we've got on our roster right now.
Brady's base salary this season is 3.4 million dollars. With the 30% rule in place it complicates how much he can actually make on a contract extension.

I think both sides wait til this deal expires, and plot their next move after that. If New England takes another step back this season they could go into official rebuild mode. Don't forget that New England has Oakland's pick this offseason. They could be in perfect position to land Brady's replacement. Also the franchise tag is up in the air this year. I know it seems ridiculous that New England would let Brady go, but I think there's a strong possibility of that happening.

And if Brady does hit the market, we seriously need to be the front runners for him. Even if he were up for trade, give NE a 1st, 3rd, 5th round picks and Alex Smith in return for Brady ASAP. Man they would have 3 1st round picks, they rebuild their offense all in one season with a 1st round that could possibly look like this:

And if we made that trade they'd still be good enough to be a possible wild card, which isn't too much of a drop off.

A 1st, a 3rd, a 5th and our starting qb? Are you serious? That would go down as the 49ers second OJ Simpson deal.

No.

You really think so, that doesn't even equal two 1st round picks, and Smith has hardly been a starting QB since last year. And I'd take my chances with Brady any day than what we've got on our roster right now.

See that's the problem. You guys are already writing off this year as a failure before it even starts. If that's the kind of fan you want to be, fine. Like you said, it's a speculative forum. Smith haters are always going to be coming up with these 'dream scenarios' that don't have a chance in hell of happening anyways.

Alot of things can happen between now and the end of the year.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

No.

See that's the problem. You guys are already writing off this year as a failure before it even starts. If that's the kind of fan you want to be, fine. Like you said, it's a speculative forum. Smith haters are always going to be coming up with these 'dream scenarios' that don't have a chance in hell of happening anyways.

All I'm preferring is consistency over inconsistency. And who said anything about writing this season off as a failure. I can admit, if Smith plays way to the fullest and lights it up this year, I'd be pleased and satisfied with what we got. But I'd still take a 3 time Super Bowl winner, Super Bowl MVP in Tom Brady over pretty much any QB in this league, aside from Peyton Manning.

No.

All I'm preferring is consistency over inconsistency. And who said anything about writing this season off as a failure. I can admit, if Smith plays way to the fullest and lights it up this year, I'd be pleased and satisfied with what we got. But I'd still take a 3 time Super Bowl winner, Super Bowl MVP in Tom Brady over pretty much any QB in this league, aside from Peyton Manning.

fair enough

Did you read the rest of my post?I don't think Brady's gonna even be avialble next offseason.The Pats won't get rid of Brady til 2012 at the earliest.The Raiders No. 1 Could easliy trun into Locker/Mallett/Luck but NE develops QBs at least for a full year or longer.I could see them franchising him (if the franchise is still in the CBA) for 2 years or giving him a 3 year deal with huge bonus money and low base salaries and trading him with a year left on the deal.So if Smith isn't the answer this year we're picking up someone else not Brady

Did you read the rest of my post?I don't think Brady's gonna even be avialble next offseason.The Pats won't get rid of Brady til 2012 at the earliest.The Raiders No. 1 Could easliy trun into Locker/Mallett/Luck but NE develops QBs at least for a full year or longer.I could see them franchising him (if the franchise is still in the CBA) for 2 years or giving him a 3 year deal with huge bonus money and low base salaries and trading him with a year left on the deal.So if Smith isn't the answer this year we're picking up someone else not Brady

And why would Brady go for that? Brady's not going to resign with them unless he thinks they're 110% committed to him, and he's certainly not going to take less money only to get screwed.

I think what you guys are missing is New England's not a franchise that's afraid to change. When the dynasty is over they're going to move on. It's how they built their franchise. Look at Randy Moss echoing similiar concerns about his status as a Patriot. The Patriots could go 13-3 next season and all of this will dynasty over talk will be put in the closet, but if they don't take a step up from last season make no mistake about there's going to be changes.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Anybody looks good behind a great oline, and a great oline coach.

I always laugh at statements like these. He's played behind some good lines, but I wouldn't call any of them great. He's never played behind any future hof offensive linemen. Light and Mankins are good players with 2 pro bowl appearances to each of their credit but neither are perennial all-pros. And I bet you probably couldn't name any of the journeymen offensive linemen Brady won his first super bowl behind.

• ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Druckenmiller14:

I always laugh at statements like these. He's played behind some good lines, but I wouldn't call any of them great. He's never played behind any future hof offensive linemen. Light and Mankins are good players with 2 pro bowl appearances to each of their credit but neither are perennial all-pros. And I bet you probably couldn't name any of the journeymen offensive linemen Brady won his first super bowl behind.

Seriously? The season he threw 50 TDs. He had FOREVER to throw! His average time in the pocket was like nearly double the average quarter backs time

Tom Brady has a GREAT O Line and a GREAT coach that knows how to use his weapons wisely.

I would take Tom Brady, obviously, but I dont think Singletary would wanna spend big money on a QB since hes always "run first" and so conservative.
Originally posted by ImaMod:

Seriously? The season he threw 50 TDs. He had FOREVER to throw! His average time in the pocket was like nearly double the average quarter backs time

Tom Brady has a GREAT O Line and a GREAT coach that knows how to use his weapons wisely.

I would take Tom Brady, obviously, but I dont think Singletary would wanna spend big money on a QB since hes always "run first" and so conservative.

And the following season that same line gave up 45 sacks. People underestimate a quarterbacks role in preventing sacks and getting the most out of their lines. The reality is the Patriots have had a good line since Woody left (it was a great line before that point I give you that), but it's not the spectular line people make it to be.

And if Singletary really thinks that than he's the dumbest coach in football by a mile. You look at the teams that won championships because of their defense and you clearly see that during that time they were trying their hardest to upgrade at QB. Nobody wants an ultra conservative offense they're forced into it.

[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jun 7, 2010 at 06:46:32 ]
Originally posted by ImaMod:

Brady has always been great at avoiding pressure(much like montana). Even in his early days he was great at feeling blindside pressure. I mean he won a super bowl with guys named Mike Compton and Greg Randall in front of him. Ever heard of either of those guys???

Plus in the 2007 season they basically ran a version of the spread offense. Being in the shotgun with 3-4 WRs spread out, its a lot easier to get rid of the ball. The only downside is that the defense knows you're probably going to throw it. Brady has great WRs though and always makes quick reads and knows where to go with the ball.

You can keep calling them GREAT all you want. He's never played behind any future HOFers or perennial pro bowlers. Guys like Light, Koppen and Neal are all hard-working, over-achievers. And Nick Kaczur at right tackle is often below-average. They've being trying to replace him.

[ Edited by Druckenmiller14 on Jun 7, 2010 at 07:43:38 ]
Originally posted by 1251alex:
meh.

Tom Brady could get released TODAY, and some of the people on here would be against signing him because he would "cost too much" and "I wanna see Alex start a full season." Nevermind the fact that we would be immediate and legitimate Super Bowl contenders.

I happen to think Brady is overrated to a certain extent, but he is a clutch QB and given a very good defense, he has proven capable of winning it all. He is easily a top-5 QB despite being a little overrated - I'd probably rank him at #3, behind Peyton Manning and Drew Brees.

The fact that I know some people would rather roll with Alex smith is laughable. That being sad, Brady will never leave New England.

And why would Brady go for that? Brady's not going to resign with them unless he thinks they're 110% committed to him, and he's certainly not going to take less money only to get screwed.

I think what you guys are missing is New England's not a franchise that's afraid to change. When the dynasty is over they're going to move on. It's how they built their franchise. Look at Randy Moss echoing similiar concerns about his status as a Patriot. The Patriots could go 13-3 next season and all of this will dynasty over talk will be put in the closet, but if they don't take a step up from last season make no mistake about there's going to be changes.

In either scenario Brady wouldn't be taking less.The franchise number for QBs is nearly 20M and and huge guarnateed money on a multi-year deal would make up for it.I just don't see them getting rid of Brady til there's a realistic option behind him which they won't have a shot at til next year's draft

[ Edited by 5ringsLookinFor6 on Jun 7, 2010 at 11:53:55 ]
Share 49ersWebzone