There are 124 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Chances Nate Davis Gets Significant Time As Starter

Chances Nate Davis Gets Significant Time As Starter

Originally posted by 49erForLife420:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
What are the legitimate chances that Nate Davis gets "significant" starting time.

Significant - More Than 2 Starts or 2 Consecutive Starts

Hypothetical Situations...

Injuries to A. Smith and D. Carr
Usurp D. Carr and Injury to A. Smith
Usurp A. Smith and D. Carr

please never post here again....

PS. nate davis sucks

What lame comment. You might not have any faith in Davis as a QB (which also makes you kind of a dummy considering this kids college career) but to say something like that is pretty weak considering he is living a better and more magnificent life than you are and has much more ability than you.
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
What are the legitimate chances that Nate Davis gets "significant" starting time.

PS. nate davis sucks

What lame comment. You might not have any faith in Davis as a QB (which also makes you kind of a dummy considering this kids college career) but to say something like that is pretty weak considering he is living a better and more magnificent life than you are and has much more ability than you.

Oh, I get it.

So you're still holding out on sending that signed Tim Couch jersey to the Goodwill.

You know, considering the kid's college career.

Serious Note: Until Davis shows an ability to grasp the playbook, he's just another inactive body on the sidelines.
Slim to none, and us Smith supporters get called homers...
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Let's see...2nd year player, late round draft pick that has never taken a NFL snap...

If both Smith & Carr are hurt, the Niners will try to sign an emergency QB who can start. If that new guy gets hurt, then Davis may get a chance to play for the remainder of the game.
Let's see...2nd year player, late round draft pick that has never taken a NFL snap...

If both Smith & Carr are hurt, the Niners will try to sign an emergency QB who can start. If that new guy gets hurt, then Davis may get a chance to play for the remainder of the game.

Quote:
Jimmy Raye says the hope is that Nate Davis is competing with David Carr for the No. 2 QB job by August.

While not an indication that he'll start this year, that definitely looks like this projection of yours signing an emergency QB after Smith and Carr are hurt instead of having Davis play seems unlikely. In fact, if things go well, it looks like Raye has no problems making Davis the #2. And therefore, it would seem that it is perfectly possible that Davis could start if Smith gets injured. He's still got some work to do to get there, but it is not nearly as crazy of a possibility as some here would seem to think.
0.00% chance he even takes a snap this year.

this thread....
He impressed me from what I saw in you guys preseason game against the Cowboys. He was big and hard to bring down with a strong arm. Now, I will say that he did seem a little raw. That's why I think he should sit on the bench for at least 3 years.

With that said I only see Nate Davis starting in case of injury. And even then I could see you guys going with Carr instead. Unless Alex Smith gets injured and Carr plays inadequately, then maybe Nate will get some playing time. I do think that would be a mistake though, because you wouldn't want to throw him into the fire too soon.
Originally posted by mrgneissguy:

Quote:
Jimmy Raye says the hope is that Nate Davis is competing with David Carr for the No. 2 QB job by August.

While not an indication that he'll start this year, that definitely looks like this projection of yours signing an emergency QB after Smith and Carr are hurt instead of having Davis play seems unlikely. In fact, if things go well, it looks like Raye has no problems making Davis the #2. And therefore, it would seem that it is perfectly possible that Davis could start if Smith gets injured. He's still got some work to do to get there, but it is not nearly as crazy of a possibility as some here would seem to think.

Well, considering the 49ers are a team that at one time started Tim Rattay, Ken Dorsey, Cody Pickett, and other QBs not at all ready to compete in the NFL, I could be very wrong in my assesment (which is more based upon assumptions of what normal NFL teams would do).
Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
0%. I hope he's ready by next season if Alex can't step it up.

The sad part is he won't be given chance after chance to prove himself like Alex has been getting his entire career. If it were Nate going through those struggles I can all but guarantee he'd be off this team by now, despite all the excuses made for Alex. Why? Because Nate Davis was not the first overall pick of the NFL draft so if he didn't become what they thought he would be, as is the case with Smith, he would have been released by now.

Sad.

where are al these chances alex smith has been given to prove himself....

2005...he was not handed starting job his rookie year, but instead was put in too early by the idiot nolan ( making his 1st start vs an undefeated colts team was not the move of a saavy coach)

2006..he earned the job and played well

2007...again was the best qb on team, and earned the starting job, and was hurt....that he was the best qb by a ile evident by way nolan put him back in while still injured)

2008 ..hurt for entire regular season...not given anything that season

2009...put in mideseason after Hill failed, earned and kept the job

2010..best qb on roster by far...despite the nate davis myth

again, where are all these chances Smith has been given?

This is a Nate Davis thread not an Alexcuses thread. Those my friend are excuses, this is the real world and the NFL.
Originally posted by Homo4Romo:
He impressed me from what I saw in you guys preseason game against the Cowboys. He was big and hard to bring down with a strong arm. Now, I will say that he did seem a little raw. That's why I think he should sit on the bench for at least 3 years.

With that said I only see Nate Davis starting in case of injury. And even then I could see you guys going with Carr instead. Unless Alex Smith gets injured and Carr plays inadequately, then maybe Nate will get some playing time. I do think that would be a mistake though, because you wouldn't want to throw him into the fire too soon.

Davis impressed me in pre season too. Regardless of who he played. Smith has NEVER impressed me. I know Davis needs more time but when the time comes, watch out, I think he will be a bad ass. He reminds me of rothleisberger without the nfl experience and the rape accusations.
Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
0%. I hope he's ready by next season if Alex can't step it up.

The sad part is he won't be given chance after chance to prove himself like Alex has been getting his entire career. If it were Nate going through those struggles I can all but guarantee he'd be off this team by now, despite all the excuses made for Alex. Why? Because Nate Davis was not the first overall pick of the NFL draft so if he didn't become what they thought he would be, as is the case with Smith, he would have been released by now.

Sad.

where are al these chances alex smith has been given to prove himself....

2005...he was not handed starting job his rookie year, but instead was put in too early by the idiot nolan ( making his 1st start vs an undefeated colts team was not the move of a saavy coach)

2006..he earned the job and played well

2007...again was the best qb on team, and earned the starting job, and was hurt....that he was the best qb by a ile evident by way nolan put him back in while still injured)

2008 ..hurt for entire regular season...not given anything that season

2009...put in mideseason after Hill failed, earned and kept the job

2010..best qb on roster by far...despite the nate davis myth

again, where are all these chances Smith has been given?

This is a Nate Davis thread not an Alexcuses thread. Those my friend are excuses, this is the real world and the NFL.

I don't see any excuses.

-9fA

PS. nate davis sucks

My we are quite he hypocrite aren't we...
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

PS. nate davis sucks

Not at all, given as much time in the system as Smith to Davis I firmly believe Davis would be a better QB on the field. He has a better release, more poised in the pocket, more accurate from hat I have seen and tougher/more physical. He can take a rusher and push him aside better. You are a Smith supporter, I know this. Good luck to him....or good riddance.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

PS. nate davis sucks

Not at all, given as much time in the system as Smith to Davis I firmly believe Davis would be a better QB on the field. He has a better release, more poised in the pocket, more accurate from hat I have seen and tougher/more physical. He can take a rusher and push him aside better. You are a Smith supporter, I know this. Good luck to him....or good riddance.

Just so you know I am a Davis supporter as well. Also, Davis has had just as much time in the same system as Smith has had. I would have to point out that anyone trying to say that Davis is the same quality of player as Smith, or even Carr at this point is engaging in sheer speculation. We just do not know that yet, if he turn out to eventually be worthy of game time, we should be solid at QB.
This is a ridiculous thread. Just a few days ago Sing said Davis wasn't coming along as fast as they would like. Nate Davis himself admitted that he doesn't have a grasp of the playbook and gets left and right mixed up when calling plays. He isn't ready. Period. Give it a rest.

Smith will be starting and Carr will be #2. Davis has a lot of work to do even to challenge Carr for the #2 spot. Deal with it and move on.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home