LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 262 users in the forums

Chances Nate Davis Gets Significant Time As Starter

Shop 49ers game tickets

Chances Nate Davis Gets Significant Time As Starter

Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
0%. I hope he's ready by next season if Alex can't step it up.

The sad part is he won't be given chance after chance to prove himself like Alex has been getting his entire career. If it were Nate going through those struggles I can all but guarantee he'd be off this team by now, despite all the excuses made for Alex. Why? Because Nate Davis was not the first overall pick of the NFL draft so if he didn't become what they thought he would be, as is the case with Smith, he would have been released by now.

Sad.

where are al these chances alex smith has been given to prove himself....

2005...he was not handed starting job his rookie year, but instead was put in too early by the idiot nolan ( making his 1st start vs an undefeated colts team was not the move of a saavy coach)

2006..he earned the job and played well

2007...again was the best qb on team, and earned the starting job, and was hurt....that he was the best qb by a ile evident by way nolan put him back in while still injured)

2008 ..hurt for entire regular season...not given anything that season

2009...put in mideseason after Hill failed, earned and kept the job

2010..best qb on roster by far...despite the nate davis myth

again, where are all these chances Smith has been given?
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by foamingatdamouth:
Originally posted by ImaMod:
Nate Davis isnt even close to being ready to start.

Is this based on observation or Matt Maiocco's post? The only people qualified to make any type of judgment as to his readiness or to his ability is the coaching staff and not some hack sports journalist.

I understand webzoners being frustrated with perceived homerism over a "project" QB, but the belief that Nate Davis has the potential to be a solid starter for the team isn't implausible.

Just look at the last 10 yrs in the NFL. It's filled with improbable QB success stories.

Jeff Garcia, an undrafted ,NFL runt, CFL vet replaced 2 Hall of Famers, made 4 pro bowls, and nailed 2 playboy bunnies.

Kurt Warner an undrafted Arena Football vet became a Super Bowl winner, League MVP & a Hall of Famer.

Tom Brady, a 6th round pick became a 3x Super Bowl winner, Future Hall of Famer and supermodel/hot actress baby daddy.

Tony Romo, an undrafted QB became a franchise QB, 3x Pro Bowler and Jessica Simpson motorboater.

Marc Bulger, 6th round pick became a 2 Pro Bowler.

Jake Delhomme, undrafted free agent became a Pro Bowler, Super Bowl QB.

Matt Cassell, a 7th round pick, his USC stats were 19 for 33 192 yards 0 tds 1 int.
Got a 6 yr $63 million contract based on 1 season of filling in for Tom Brady on a SB contending team. I guess KC never heard of Elvis Grbac.

Yeah it was against 3rd stringers, but Nate Davis showed good arm strength, quick release, accuracy, touch, pocket awareness, calmness against the only available competition. He hit receivers in stride, made laser cross the body 20 yards outs, and stepped away from pressure while continuing to look up upfield and completing passes.

The real question is that in light of the previously mentioned low round and undrafted QB successes I've mentioned, why can't the Niner's get lucky in developing a diamond in the rough?

All of those quarterbacks were given time or sat behind great quarterbacks. Nate Davis needs more time or to sit behind a great quarterback, we dont have a great QB like Brady, so we need to give him more time.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Nate Davis isnt even close to being ready to start. Im guessing youre impressed by his preseason? Look at Glen Coffee, we all thought he was going to be legit because of his preseason play. He didnt even average 3 yards a carry when he came in for Gore. Not only was it preseason but it was against 3RD STRINGERS and people that didnt even make the opposing team.

We ALL thought that, did we? I beg to differ.

I knew Coffee wouldn't be productive. He's a poor man's Frank Gore, without the burst and not nearly as fast overall since Gore seemingly became faster last season. There are certain things you cannot take away from a QB despite the level of competition. Nate Davis has an accurate arm, he can scan the field and deliver the ball where it needs to be. He's decisive and executes with confidence. He doesn't look flustered when he takes a snap from center. He has pocket awareness and presence inside. These are things that cannot be taken from him no matter how stiff the competition is. But even if the competition makes him LOOK like he lacks in these departments, it's still there and will come out with time spent on the field. All he needs is experience. He needs to be given the opportunity to play.

I always have to laugh when people say "he's not even close to being ready." How the f*ck does anybody outside of the coaching staff know that? THEY DON'T. They (the staff) probably feel he would benefit from more time to learn, which may be true, but that doesn't mean they think he can't play. It means they want to give him as much time as they can to learn before he gets put in there. I have no idea if he's ready or not, and neither do any of you that insist he's not, so stop bullsh*tting and acting like you know what's going on within the organization. What I do know is he possesses certain attributes and intangibles that I'd like to see applied in a real, meaningful football game. If it doesn't work it then so be it, but it's not like we're gonna be benching a GOOD QB just to see what Nate Davis has to offer. If we had a GOOD QB, then I don't think anybody would be calling for Nate Davis. We don't, so we are.

18 TDs in 10 games with the worst offensive line in the league Well have a better offensive line this year, more chemistry between Alex and Crabtree with a full offseason with Crabtree, and finally the same OC in more than 1 year
really....
Originally posted by susweel:
If Nate Davis is playing then something seriously wrong happened with out team.

How can you say this? Nate Davis has only played in the preseason. But he did play well with the opportunities that he had. He is calm in the pocket. Alex looks like a cat who got thrown into a bath tub.

Is this based on observation or Matt Maiocco's post? The only people qualified to make any type of judgment as to his readiness or to his ability is the coaching staff and not some hack sports journalist.

I understand webzoners being frustrated with perceived homerism over a "project" QB, but the belief that Nate Davis has the potential to be a solid starter for the team isn't implausible.

Just look at the last 10 yrs in the NFL. It's filled with improbable QB success stories.

Jeff Garcia, an undrafted ,NFL runt, CFL vet replaced 2 Hall of Famers, made 4 pro bowls, and nailed 2 playboy bunnies.

Kurt Warner an undrafted Arena Football vet became a Super Bowl winner, League MVP & a Hall of Famer.

Tom Brady, a 6th round pick became a 3x Super Bowl winner, Future Hall of Famer and supermodel/hot actress baby daddy.

Tony Romo, an undrafted QB became a franchise QB, 3x Pro Bowler and Jessica Simpson motorboater.

Matt Cassell, a 7th round pick, his USC stats were 19 for 33 192 yards 0 tds 1 int.
Got a 6 yr $63 million contract based on 1 season of filling in for Tom Brady on a SB contending team. I guess KC never heard of Elvis Grbac.

Yeah it was against 3rd stringers, but Nate Davis showed good arm strength, quick release, accuracy, touch, pocket awareness, calmness against the only available competition. He hit receivers in stride, made laser cross the body 20 yards outs, and stepped away from pressure while continuing to look up upfield and completing passes.

The real question is that in light of the previously mentioned low round and undrafted QB successes I've mentioned, why can't the Niner's get lucky in developing a diamond in the rough?

All of those quarterbacks were given time or sat behind great quarterbacks. Nate Davis needs more time or to sit behind a great quarterback, we dont have a great QB like Brady, so we need to give him more time.

Kurt Warner sat a year behind Tony Banks. Jake Delhomme sat behind Aaron Brooks. Not exactly good or great QBs.

As for the Brady connection, Stan Parrish, the college QB coach for Brady and college OC for Davis, thinks Davis has better physical tools than Brady.

What made the previously mentioned QBs successful was time to sit & also good surrounding talent. With the improved Oline and good to elite skill players on offense, it wouldn't be unrealistic to start Davis if he has shown to have learned the offense and plays well in the preseason.

Kurt Warner sat a year behind Tony Banks. Jake Delhomme sat behind Aaron Brooks. Not exactly good or great QBs.

As for the Brady connection, Stan Parrish, the college QB coach for Brady and college OC for Davis, thinks Davis has better physical tools than Brady.

What made the previously mentioned QBs successful was time to sit & also good surrounding talent. With the improved Oline and good to elite skill players on offense, it wouldn't be unrealistic to start Davis if he has shown to have learned the offense and plays well in the preseason.

I guess you and most people have a different definition for reality if you think Davis has any chance at all to start this year. I like Davis and hope he pans out for the future, but realistically, he has no chance of starting this year barring a series of injuries.
reality check--nate davis may be starting in arena ball if jarrett brown plays well
Originally posted by hofer36:
reality check--nate davis may be starting in arena ball if jarrett brown plays well

You mean the guy who kept fumbling the ball while taking snaps from under center?

But following your logic that an overrated player can be pumped off by a talented but inexperienced player, then Alex Smith could get benched for Nate Davis. Reality checkmate.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

I guess you and most people have a different definition for reality if you think Davis has any chance at all to start this year. I like Davis and hope he pans out for the future, but realistically, he has no chance of starting this year barring a series of injuries.

Hey, that's what I believe too. I just hope he becomes the #2 over David Carr. i also hope that Alex Smith is the starter for all 16 games. That means that the Oline will be doing it's job.

And, then the board realized which 27% of the members were dropped their heads as infants.

Cheers.

P.S. Hey Nate: Here is your lesson for the day: The offense has the ball.
Tomorrow's lesson: 11 players play offense on each down.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
And, then the board realized which 27% of the members were dropped their heads as infants.

Cheers.

P.S. Hey Nate: Here is your lesson for the day: The offense has the ball.
Tomorrow's lesson: 11 players play offense on each down.

BUT NATE DIVIZZ IS DA BEZT QB ON DA ROSTUR!!!11!!

HEZ BETTER DAN DAT ALIX LEEFZZ DA SUX0RZ!11!
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
OH GOD Who cares. Nate Davis is garb get off his tip.
Let's see...2nd year player, late round draft pick that has never taken a NFL snap...

If both Smith & Carr are hurt, the Niners will try to sign an emergency QB who can start. If that new guy gets hurt, then Davis may get a chance to play for the remainder of the game.

[ Edited by djfullshred on Jun 7, 2010 at 16:08:57 ]
Never say never. Anything can happen (good or bad), only time will tell. Be like water...just let things take shape and flow.
Share 49ersWebzone