There are 144 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Chances Nate Davis Gets Significant Time As Starter

Chances Nate Davis Gets Significant Time As Starter

Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
0%. I hope he's ready by next season if Alex can't step it up.

The sad part is he won't be given chance after chance to prove himself like Alex has been getting his entire career. If it were Nate going through those struggles I can all but guarantee he'd be off this team by now, despite all the excuses made for Alex. Why? Because Nate Davis was not the first overall pick of the NFL draft so if he didn't become what they thought he would be, as is the case with Smith, he would have been released by now.

Sad.
the same chances the US has at winning the world cup....
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Nate Davis isnt even close to being ready to start. Im guessing youre impressed by his preseason? Look at Glen Coffee, we all thought he was going to be legit because of his preseason play. He didnt even average 3 yards a carry when he came in for Gore. Not only was it preseason but it was against 3RD STRINGERS and people that didnt even make the opposing team.
I want to see him beat our David Carr.
Originally posted by foamingatdamouth:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
A better, more realistic & less incendiary thread topic would be: Can Nate Davis be the #2 QB?

As an admitted Alex Smith critic, I think the team has wisely committed to him as the starter for next year. The only way that Nate Davis is the starter, is if he's the back up to Alex Smith and Smith get's seriously hurt or his play causes the team to lose.

Notice I said lose; Alex Smith can have crappy games like he did last year against Chicago and Arizona, but so long as the team pulls out a W Singletary will stick with him. Now if he consistently pulls that Tennesse Titan's give away a game performance, then he'll get benched real quick.

At that point it's either going to be David Carr, whom Scott McCloughan got fired for signing or Nate Davis, who the coaching staff spent the offseason grooming.

With the investment that the team made in improving the O-line by upgrading the talent and coaching, the possiblity of Alex Smith getting injured is very little. Therefore, Nate Davis homers like me can only hope that he get's to hold the clipboard as the #2 and wait for his shot as the starter next year.

If smith plays well enough to remain the starter he will be resigned and Davis will remain the #2 for a few more years. At this point, Davis has shown nothing to show that he can actually play in the NFL, but I think we should takes some steps to see if the kid can play against real defenses, just so we know if he is worth keeping on the roster.

With a number of young talented players on the team due new contracts, it's debatable that the team will resign Alex Smith.

If Alex Smith has a good season it'll be because of good coaching and being surrounding by good talent. The team may let him walk ala' San Diego with Drew Brees in order to go with the younger and cheaper player.

And yes it's true that Nate Davis hasn't shown anything, but the same can be said about David Carr.

If Smith has a good season, it will be because he raised his level of play and if that is the case, there is no way that he is released, least of all so we can start an untried project QB. What are you smoking?

I smoke nothing but Cali's finest. However, it doesn't cloud my judgment. I see Alex Smith for what he is, a project QB who was drafted #1 overall in a QB weak draft. His game has major flaws that can be addressed by better supporting talent, scheme/game planning, & working on his mechanics; but the mental part of his game such as leadership, field vision, instinct and decision making isn't going to improve in 1 season.

What I mean by Alex Smith having a good season, I mean statistically he isn't going to change his weaknesses.

You forget that the NFL is a business, San Diego let Brees walk for unproven Philip Rivers. The team could of easily traded Rivers, but went with the younger guy. The Tampa Bay Bucs basically let Jeff Garcia walk because of $ despite Garcia them to the playoffs and making the Pro Bowl.

Also, Mike Singletary has even stated that the QB isn't the focal point on his team, meaning that the success isn't Smith or bust. If it comes down to resigning Smith or Franklin, it's going to be Franklin; if comes down to Smith or Goldson, it's gonna be Goldson; if it comes down to Smith and a Ahmad Brooks (if he outplays his cuurent contract), it's gonna be Ahmad Brooks. Hell, if it comes down to Heitmann or Smith, it's gonna be Heitmann.

My point is that Alex Smith isn't the future of this team, the team invested in him and he failed. And none of the excuses about injury or OC changes. Players are paid with an expectation that they'll be durable and his fellow 05' class QB Jason Campbell had just as many OC changes and posted a career 82.3 QB rating.

The coaches seem to think otherwise. I will side with the people that know football. Nate Davis is buried on the depth chart for a legitimate reason, they guys that know more than us think he belongs there. As for Campbell, he had a better surrounding cast from day 1 and better coaching. If Smith plays well enough to get us to the playoffs, there is zero chance we let him walk, least of all for a 3rd stringer that played DB for the practice team last year.
Originally posted by ImaMod:
Nate Davis isnt even close to being ready to start.

Is this based on observation or Matt Maiocco's post? The only people qualified to make any type of judgment as to his readiness or to his ability is the coaching staff and not some hack sports journalist.

I understand webzoners being frustrated with perceived homerism over a "project" QB, but the belief that Nate Davis has the potential to be a solid starter for the team isn't implausible.

Just look at the last 10 yrs in the NFL. It's filled with improbable QB success stories.

Jeff Garcia, an undrafted ,NFL runt, CFL vet replaced 2 Hall of Famers, made 4 pro bowls, and nailed 2 playboy bunnies.

Kurt Warner an undrafted Arena Football vet became a Super Bowl winner, League MVP & a Hall of Famer.

Tom Brady, a 6th round pick became a 3x Super Bowl winner, Future Hall of Famer and supermodel/hot actress baby daddy.

Tony Romo, an undrafted QB became a franchise QB, 3x Pro Bowler and Jessica Simpson motorboater.

Marc Bulger, 6th round pick became a 2 Pro Bowler.

Jake Delhomme, undrafted free agent became a Pro Bowler, Super Bowl QB.

Matt Cassell, a 7th round pick, his USC stats were 19 for 33 192 yards 0 tds 1 int.
Got a 6 yr $63 million contract based on 1 season of filling in for Tom Brady on a SB contending team. I guess KC never heard of Elvis Grbac.

Yeah it was against 3rd stringers, but Nate Davis showed good arm strength, quick release, accuracy, touch, pocket awareness, calmness against the only available competition. He hit receivers in stride, made laser cross the body 20 yards outs, and stepped away from pressure while continuing to look up upfield and completing passes.

The real question is that in light of the previously mentioned low round and undrafted QB successes I've mentioned, why can't the Niner's get lucky in developing a diamond in the rough?

Is this based on observation or Matt Maiocco's post? The only people qualified to make any type of judgment as to his readiness or to his ability is the coaching staff and not some hack sports journalist.

I understand webzoners being frustrated with perceived homerism over a "project" QB, but the belief that Nate Davis has the potential to be a solid starter for the team isn't implausible.

Just look at the last 10 yrs in the NFL. It's filled with improbable QB success stories.

Jeff Garcia, an undrafted ,NFL runt, CFL vet replaced 2 Hall of Famers, made 4 pro bowls, and nailed 2 playboy bunnies.

Kurt Warner an undrafted Arena Football vet became a Super Bowl winner, League MVP & a Hall of Famer.

Tom Brady, a 6th round pick became a 3x Super Bowl winner, Future Hall of Famer and supermodel/hot actress baby daddy.

Tony Romo, an undrafted QB became a franchise QB, 3x Pro Bowler and Jessica Simpson motorboater.

Matt Cassell, a 7th round pick, his USC stats were 19 for 33 192 yards 0 tds 1 int.
Got a 6 yr $63 million contract based on 1 season of filling in for Tom Brady on a SB contending team. I guess KC never heard of Elvis Grbac.

Yeah it was against 3rd stringers, but Nate Davis showed good arm strength, quick release, accuracy, touch, pocket awareness, calmness against the only available competition. He hit receivers in stride, made laser cross the body 20 yards outs, and stepped away from pressure while continuing to look up upfield and completing passes.

The real question is that in light of the previously mentioned low round and undrafted QB successes I've mentioned, why can't the Niner's get lucky in developing a diamond in the rough?

For every one of those guys you mentioned there are a hundred that turned out to be exactly what they were. I hope Davis can someday make it, it makes a good story, but you are getting ahead of yourself if you seriously think they guy is ready to start. Are you a relative of his or did you go to Ball St?
A better, more realistic & less incendiary thread topic would be: Can Nate Davis be the #2 QB?

As an admitted Alex Smith critic, I think the team has wisely committed to him as the starter for next year. The only way that Nate Davis is the starter, is if he's the back up to Alex Smith and Smith get's seriously hurt or his play causes the team to lose.

Notice I said lose; Alex Smith can have crappy games like he did last year against Chicago and Arizona, but so long as the team pulls out a W Singletary will stick with him. Now if he consistently pulls that Tennesse Titan's give away a game performance, then he'll get benched real quick.

At that point it's either going to be David Carr, whom Scott McCloughan got fired for signing or Nate Davis, who the coaching staff spent the offseason grooming.

With the investment that the team made in improving the O-line by upgrading the talent and coaching, the possiblity of Alex Smith getting injured is very little. Therefore, Nate Davis homers like me can only hope that he get's to hold the clipboard as the #2 and wait for his shot as the starter next year.

If smith plays well enough to remain the starter he will be resigned and Davis will remain the #2 for a few more years. At this point, Davis has shown nothing to show that he can actually play in the NFL, but I think we should takes some steps to see if the kid can play against real defenses, just so we know if he is worth keeping on the roster.

With a number of young talented players on the team due new contracts, it's debatable that the team will resign Alex Smith.

If Alex Smith has a good season it'll be because of good coaching and being surrounding by good talent. The team may let him walk ala' San Diego with Drew Brees in order to go with the younger and cheaper player.

And yes it's true that Nate Davis hasn't shown anything, but the same can be said about David Carr.

If Smith has a good season, it will be because he raised his level of play and if that is the case, there is no way that he is released, least of all so we can start an untried project QB. What are you smoking?

I smoke nothing but Cali's finest. However, it doesn't cloud my judgment. I see Alex Smith for what he is, a project QB who was drafted #1 overall in a QB weak draft. His game has major flaws that can be addressed by better supporting talent, scheme/game planning, & working on his mechanics; but the mental part of his game such as leadership, field vision, instinct and decision making isn't going to improve in 1 season.

What I mean by Alex Smith having a good season, I mean statistically he isn't going to change his weaknesses.

You forget that the NFL is a business, San Diego let Brees walk for unproven Philip Rivers. The team could of easily traded Rivers, but went with the younger guy. The Tampa Bay Bucs basically let Jeff Garcia walk because of $ despite Garcia them to the playoffs and making the Pro Bowl.

Also, Mike Singletary has even stated that the QB isn't the focal point on his team, meaning that the success isn't Smith or bust. If it comes down to resigning Smith or Franklin, it's going to be Franklin; if comes down to Smith or Goldson, it's gonna be Goldson; if it comes down to Smith and a Ahmad Brooks (if he outplays his cuurent contract), it's gonna be Ahmad Brooks. Hell, if it comes down to Heitmann or Smith, it's gonna be Heitmann.

My point is that Alex Smith isn't the future of this team, the team invested in him and he failed. And none of the excuses about injury or OC changes. Players are paid with an expectation that they'll be durable and his fellow 05' class QB Jason Campbell had just as many OC changes and posted a career 82.3 QB rating.

The coaches seem to think otherwise. I will side with the people that know football. Nate Davis is buried on the depth chart for a legitimate reason, they guys that know more than us think he belongs there. As for Campbell, he had a better surrounding cast from day 1 and better coaching. If Smith plays well enough to get us to the playoffs, there is zero chance we let him walk, least of all for a 3rd stringer that played DB for the practice team last year.

Alex Smith was coached by successful coaches and coordinators such as Mike McCarthy, Norv Turner & Mike Martz. He has played with pro bowl caliber olinemen (L.Allen, Justin Smiley, Heitmann (is underrated), and Joe Staley), probowl caliber recievers in V. Davis & Antonio Bryant. And a damn good running back who can catch in Frank Gore. Please stop with the excuses.

The point I'm making is that Alex Smith probably won't be retained because his success isn't determined by his own abilities, therefore if the team can upgrade the QB position from cheaper within or spend a little more for a vet who brings more to the table, then he's gone.

As for Nate Davis, he's spending the offseason studying film and learning the offense from the QB coach Mike Johnson. Teams don't make that kind of investment with prospects their uncertain about.

And as for the guys "knowing more than us", that's bs. If hack sports writer truly new anything about the sports they cover, then they'd be making money with their insights placing bets in Vegas rather than staying up to 4am banging out a 5,000 essay to pay the mortgage. They can only make observations in hindsight, not prognosticate wins or players performances.

Sports aren't hard to figure out, all you have to look at is the precedent of what has transpired in similiar situations to see if the same results will happen under the same circumstance.

For every one of those guys you mentioned there are a hundred that turned out to be exactly what they were. I hope Davis can someday make it, it makes a good story, but you are getting ahead of yourself if you seriously think they guy is ready to start. Are you a relative of his or did you go to Ball St?

Nah, I just find it absurd that fans say 100% for certain that a player can't succeed in the NFL based on the players draft position or what school they've attended. I also have a strong view that teams should draft QBs in rounds 2-4 and groom them, rather than waste valuable picks and $ on risky prospects.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Nate Davis, the GOAT????

100%. He is the GOAT because he was a 5th rounder, and because he threw the ball so well against those 6th stringers last year. Cast the Bust, Canton!!!

Didn't the WZ have him as the future franchise QB at like 75% last year? I laughed then, and I laugh now.

What is no laughing matter is the fact that our starting QB, when playing against those "6th stringers" you try to discredit Nate Davis with, looked awful against them.

No matter the competition, he showed certain things that make people hopeful. Things like ACCURACY, decisiveness, pocket presence, good vision for a rookie.. These are things our current starter has trouble with to this very day. He had those same issues against those "6th stringers" as well.

Let us not forget he was also working with "6th stringers" on his offense when battling the other "6th stringers." It's not like he showed up with an all-pro line, Jerry Rice and John Taylor to slice up a Pop Warner squad.

The guy shows promise. He has everything he needs, minus experience. Meanwhile our starting QB is one giant question mark whether you like him or not. This is why people want to see Nate Davis. He is being brought along slowly and that's fine, but it's amusing when people discredit him just because he hasn't been given a chance to play. These people, ironically, are usually the same hypocrites that b*tch about people not riding the Alex Smith bandwagon.

Alex Smith was coached by successful coaches and coordinators such as Mike McCarthy, Norv Turner & Mike Martz. He has played with pro bowl caliber olinemen (L.Allen, Justin Smiley, Heitmann (is underrated), and Joe Staley), probowl caliber recievers in V. Davis & Antonio Bryant. And a damn good running back who can catch in Frank Gore. Please stop with the excuses.

The point I'm making is that Alex Smith probably won't be retained because his success isn't determined by his own abilities, therefore if the team can upgrade the QB position from cheaper within or spend a little more for a vet who brings more to the table, then he's gone.

As for Nate Davis, he's spending the offseason studying film and learning the offense from the QB coach Mike Johnson. Teams don't make that kind of investment with prospects their uncertain about.

And as for the guys "knowing more than us", that's bs. If hack sports writer truly new anything about the sports they cover, then they'd be making money with their insights placing bets in Vegas rather than staying up to 4am banging out a 5,000 essay to pay the mortgage. They can only make observations in hindsight, not prognosticate wins or players performances.

Sports aren't hard to figure out, all you have to look at is the precedent of what has transpired in similiar situations to see if the same results will happen under the same circumstance.

Reading comprehension bro, I said the coaches. They are the ones that have him third string. By the way how do you figure that Smith's play isn't a product of his own abilities? That is just an absurd assumption, just like your assumption that Smith will be let go regardless of his performance. Your assertion just makes no sense at all.

Smith had decent coaches for about a year at a time, but at no time until last year did he even have a competent offensive supporting cast. Look at the sack numbers for the niners over the past five years, completely unacceptable. Our line has been underachievers and retreads at the end of their careers. I am surprised more of our QB's haven't been seriously injured during the past few seasons. Campbell hasn't had to try and learn a new offense every year he has played. You need to try and comprehend the difference between excuses and legit reasons.

The reasoning you put forward in your last paragraph is exactly why I am not sure that Davis will ever start for this team, precedent says that he will be a career back up, like most sixth round picks.

Your reasoning in general is suspect, you claim the team would let an accomplished QB go to start a third stringer. You claim if Smith plays well it won't be because of his abilities, but the abilities of those around him. Yet I am sure if Davis was playing well it would be because of his abilities. You cannot deal in double standards and expect your argument to be viewed as valid or even reasonable.
Nate Davis isnt even close to being ready to start. Im guessing youre impressed by his preseason? Look at Glen Coffee, we all thought he was going to be legit because of his preseason play. He didnt even average 3 yards a carry when he came in for Gore. Not only was it preseason but it was against 3RD STRINGERS and people that didnt even make the opposing team.

We ALL thought that, did we? I beg to differ.

I knew Coffee wouldn't be productive. He's a poor man's Frank Gore, without the burst and not nearly as fast overall since Gore seemingly became faster last season. There are certain things you cannot take away from a QB despite the level of competition. Nate Davis has an accurate arm, he can scan the field and deliver the ball where it needs to be. He's decisive and executes with confidence. He doesn't look flustered when he takes a snap from center. He has pocket awareness and presence inside. These are things that cannot be taken from him no matter how stiff the competition is. But even if the competition makes him LOOK like he lacks in these departments, it's still there and will come out with time spent on the field. All he needs is experience. He needs to be given the opportunity to play.

I always have to laugh when people say "he's not even close to being ready." How the f*ck does anybody outside of the coaching staff know that? THEY DON'T. They (the staff) probably feel he would benefit from more time to learn, which may be true, but that doesn't mean they think he can't play. It means they want to give him as much time as they can to learn before he gets put in there. I have no idea if he's ready or not, and neither do any of you that insist he's not, so stop bullsh*tting and acting like you know what's going on within the organization. What I do know is he possesses certain attributes and intangibles that I'd like to see applied in a real, meaningful football game. If it doesn't work it then so be it, but it's not like we're gonna be benching a GOOD QB just to see what Nate Davis has to offer. If we had a GOOD QB, then I don't think anybody would be calling for Nate Davis. We don't, so we are.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
0%. I hope he's ready by next season if Alex can't step it up.

The sad part is he won't be given chance after chance to prove himself like Alex has been getting his entire career. If it were Nate going through those struggles I can all but guarantee he'd be off this team by now, despite all the excuses made for Alex. Why? Because Nate Davis was not the first overall pick of the NFL draft so if he didn't become what they thought he would be, as is the case with Smith, he would have been released by now.

Sad.

Well of course, Smith is the bigger investment. Doesn't it make sense that you hold out a little longer for a return?

-9fA

Reading comprehension bro, I said the coaches. They are the ones that have him third string. By the way how do you figure that Smith's play isn't a product of his own abilities? That is just an absurd assumption, just like your assumption that Smith will be let go regardless of his performance. Your assertion just makes no sense at all.

Smith had decent coaches for about a year at a time, but at no time until last year did he even have a competent offensive supporting cast. Look at the sack numbers for the niners over the past five years, completely unacceptable. Our line has been underachievers and retreads at the end of their careers. I am surprised more of our QB's haven't been seriously injured during the past few seasons. Campbell hasn't had to try and learn a new offense every year he has played. You need to try and comprehend the difference between excuses and legit reasons.

The reasoning you put forward in your last paragraph is exactly why I am not sure that Davis will ever start for this team, precedent says that he will be a career back up, like most sixth round picks.

Your reasoning in general is suspect, you claim the team would let an accomplished QB go to start a third stringer. You claim if Smith plays well it won't be because of his abilities, but the abilities of those around him. Yet I am sure if Davis was playing well it would be because of his abilities. You cannot deal in double standards and expect your argument to be viewed as valid or even reasonable.

Well if your referring to the coaches, then they have not made any statements that next seasons depth chart is settled, so it's your assumption that Nate Davis will be the #3 next year without a chance to move up during training camp or preseason.

As for Jason Campbell he played in 3 systems in the pro: the West Offense, The Air Coryell offense, and Joe Gibbs smashmouth offense. That doesn't include the 4 OC changes in college. As for sacks, Jason Campbell has played 52 games and has been sacked 109 times; Alex Smith has played 43 games and has been sacked 103 times.

The mere fact that you have to give reasons for Alex Smith's failures is why he won't be retained. He doesn't earn his $ or create wins. When the team reaches the playoffs, it's because it's stacked with talent and not because he's leading it.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home