There are 56 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Chances Nate Davis Gets Significant Time As Starter

Chances Nate Davis Gets Significant Time As Starter

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Nate Davis, the GOAT????

100%. He is the GOAT because he was a 5th rounder, and because he threw the ball so well against those 6th stringers last year. Cast the Bust, Canton!!!

Didn't the WZ have him as the future franchise QB at like 75% last year? I laughed then, and I laugh now.

well if you like laughing, i bet you will really have fun in here
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=141650
just cause he is good in Madden doesnt mean he is good in the NFL
as much as i do
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I think Nate is still 2-3 years from seeing the field.
I am a Nate Davis fan (from his college days) and even I think this poll is a little, shall we say, silly. I don't think his physical abilities or learning disability will necessarily keep him off the field. But Alex Smith, while not being great, did show enough last year to give him the starting job this year, and whether you like him or not, David Carr actually has a lot of talent but even more so than Smith IMO, got beat up beyond belief on a bad team. I don't know if either will be great QBs, but they both are good, or have shown that they can be good (I guess the question is consitency), and unless Nate just plays lights out beyond his years I don't see him taking over from either this year without really bad QB play from both or injury to both. He just doesn't get enough reps in practice for him to take over the starting job.

Having said that, I am still a Davis fan and am confident he can play the QB position very well in the NFL, and expect him to succeed if/when he does get the opportunity to play against real competition. I mean, when he was a freshman at Ball State, I thought Brady Hoke (who also coached Tom Brady and has said that Davis has better skills) was insane for putting him in at QB in place of a senior who was actually one of the top in the nation in completion percentage. But it didn't take very many games before I was converted.
Lol

The reason why Niner talk sucks so badly isn't because of threads like this, it's because people still think we have a definitive starting QB somewhere on the roster..

one sec, let me remind you really quickly who are ahead of him on the depth chart.

ALEX SMITH

and....

DAVID CARR

I'd say there's about a 50/50 shot for him.
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
Lol

The reason why Niner talk sucks so badly isn't because of threads like this, it's because people still think we have a definitive starting QB somewhere on the roster..

one sec, let me remind you really quickly who are ahead of him on the depth chart.

ALEX SMITH

and....

DAVID CARR

I'd say there's about a 50/50 shot for him.

And I would say... "Put the crack pipe down son."
A better, more realistic & less incendiary thread topic would be: Can Nate Davis be the #2 QB?

As an admitted Alex Smith critic, I think the team has wisely committed to him as the starter for next year. The only way that Nate Davis is the starter, is if he's the back up to Alex Smith and Smith get's seriously hurt or his play causes the team to lose.

Notice I said lose; Alex Smith can have crappy games like he did last year against Chicago and Arizona, but so long as the team pulls out a W Singletary will stick with him. Now if he consistently pulls that Tennesse Titan's give away a game performance, then he'll get benched real quick.

At that point it's either going to be David Carr, whom Scott McCloughan got fired for signing or Nate Davis, who the coaching staff spent the offseason grooming.

With the investment that the team made in improving the O-line by upgrading the talent and coaching, the possiblity of Alex Smith getting injured is very little. Therefore, Nate Davis homers like me can only hope that he get's to hold the clipboard as the #2 and wait for his shot as the starter next year.
Originally posted by foamingatdamouth:
A better, more realistic & less incendiary thread topic would be: Can Nate Davis be the #2 QB?

As an admitted Alex Smith critic, I think the team has wisely committed to him as the starter for next year. The only way that Nate Davis is the starter, is if he's the back up to Alex Smith and Smith get's seriously hurt or his play causes the team to lose.

Notice I said lose; Alex Smith can have crappy games like he did last year against Chicago and Arizona, but so long as the team pulls out a W Singletary will stick with him. Now if he consistently pulls that Tennesse Titan's give away a game performance, then he'll get benched real quick.

At that point it's either going to be David Carr, whom Scott McCloughan got fired for signing or Nate Davis, who the coaching staff spent the offseason grooming.

With the investment that the team made in improving the O-line by upgrading the talent and coaching, the possiblity of Alex Smith getting injured is very little. Therefore, Nate Davis homers like me can only hope that he get's to hold the clipboard as the #2 and wait for his shot as the starter next year.

If smith plays well enough to remain the starter he will be resigned and Davis will remain the #2 for a few more years. At this point, Davis has shown nothing to show that he can actually play in the NFL, but I think we should takes some steps to see if the kid can play against real defenses, just so we know if he is worth keeping on the roster.
This thread makes me thirsty...

Originally posted by Memphis9er:

If smith plays well enough to remain the starter he will be resigned and Davis will remain the #2 for a few more years. At this point, Davis has shown nothing to show that he can actually play in the NFL, but I think we should takes some steps to see if the kid can play against real defenses, just so we know if he is worth keeping on the roster.

With a number of young talented players on the team due new contracts, it's debatable that the team will resign Alex Smith.

If Alex Smith has a good season it'll be because of good coaching and being surrounding by good talent. The team may let him walk ala' San Diego with Drew Brees in order to go with the younger and cheaper player.

And yes it's true that Nate Davis hasn't shown anything, but the same can be said about David Carr.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erForLife420:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
What are the legitimate chances that Nate Davis gets "significant" starting time.

Significant - More Than 2 Starts or 2 Consecutive Starts

Hypothetical Situations...

Injuries to A. Smith and D. Carr
Usurp D. Carr and Injury to A. Smith
Usurp A. Smith and D. Carr

please never post here again....

PS. nate davis sucks

I agree--please dont post ever again...
PS. Your name sucks, if you think Nate sucks 2... I cant imagine what u think about Alexs

With a number of young talented players on the team due new contracts, it's debatable that the team will resign Alex Smith.

If Alex Smith has a good season it'll be because of good coaching and being surrounding by good talent. The team may let him walk ala' San Diego with Drew Brees in order to go with the younger and cheaper player.

And yes it's true that Nate Davis hasn't shown anything, but the same can be said about David Carr.

If Smith has a good season, it will be because he raised his level of play and if that is the case, there is no way that he is released, least of all so we can start an untried project QB. What are you smoking?

If Smith has a good season, it will be because he raised his level of play and if that is the case, there is no way that he is released, least of all so we can start an untried project QB. What are you smoking?

I smoke nothing but Cali's finest. However, it doesn't cloud my judgment. I see Alex Smith for what he is, a project QB who was drafted #1 overall in a QB weak draft. His game has major flaws that can be addressed by better supporting talent, scheme/game planning, & working on his mechanics; but the mental part of his game such as leadership, field vision, instinct and decision making isn't going to improve in 1 season.

What I mean by Alex Smith having a good season, I mean statistically he isn't going to change his weaknesses.

You forget that the NFL is a business, San Diego let Brees walk for unproven Philip Rivers. The team could of easily traded Rivers, but went with the younger guy. The Tampa Bay Bucs basically let Jeff Garcia walk because of $ despite Garcia them to the playoffs and making the Pro Bowl.

Also, Mike Singletary has even stated that the QB isn't the focal point on his team, meaning that the success isn't Smith or bust. If it comes down to resigning Smith or Franklin, it's going to be Franklin; if comes down to Smith or Goldson, it's gonna be Goldson; if it comes down to Smith and a Ahmad Brooks (if he outplays his cuurent contract), it's gonna be Ahmad Brooks. Hell, if it comes down to Heitmann or Smith, it's gonna be Heitmann.

My point is that Alex Smith isn't the future of this team, the team invested in him and he failed. And none of the excuses about injury or OC changes. Players are paid with an expectation that they'll be durable and his fellow 05' class QB Jason Campbell had just as many OC changes and posted a career 82.3 QB rating.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home