There are 516 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Shawne Merriman

Originally posted by BuZzB28:
Originally posted by wailers15:
Why Not? My cousin works for the chargers & said that SD was trying to get a 1st or 2nd rounder in this years draft for him & no team budged. Obviously trying to get more than they can chew, but it looks like his name is pooping back up again.

It's on ESPN insider & on the NFL network last night they did mention that they see him getting moved. it's obvious they would like to move him just because mgmt & him have been butting heads.

I saw we offer Manny Lawson & a 2nd rounder or a 3rd for him. The dude is too explosive not to like. His energy is beyond Manny's. So is his talent. Hell he can & does play down on the line a lot too.

I'd rather have him than Manny. Manny's not making the progress i think that 1.) we want & 2) that the coaches want. with Manny's speed & size he should be a freak, but he's a decent OLB/DE at best.

I say we look into this. Dude has produced since his "steroid" incident & has shown he can come back from injury.

we need Merriman cuz he is great a pass rush and stone defense! If sign Merriman and Willis are power with big monster a defense!

i agree what say you just posted. Merriman and Willis are a danger together! We have Defense league all the way top!
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Why Not? My cousin works for the chargers & said that SD was trying to get a 1st or 2nd rounder in this years draft for him & no team budged. Obviously trying to get more than they can chew, but it looks like his name is pooping back up again.

It's on ESPN insider & on the NFL network last night they did mention that they see him getting moved. it's obvious they would like to move him just because mgmt & him have been butting heads.

I saw we offer Manny Lawson & a 2nd rounder or a 3rd for him. The dude is too explosive not to like. His energy is beyond Manny's. So is his talent. Hell he can & does play down on the line a lot too.

I'd rather have him than Manny. Manny's not making the progress i think that 1.) we want & 2) that the coaches want. with Manny's speed & size he should be a freak, but he's a decent OLB/DE at best.

I say we look into this. Dude has produced since his "steroid" incident & has shown he can come back from injury.

we need Merriman cuz he is great a pass rush and stone defense! If sign Merriman and Willis are power with big monster a defense!

i agree what say you just posted. Merriman and Willis are a danger together! We have Defense league all the way top!

only thing worry me, merriman not team player. Ego to big locker room like him
Originally posted by Snider8706:

Willis is king beast of lockers when niners beast up and down. Takeo leads more than Merriman beasts because. Non issue if merriman comes for the beasts
Sign Him

....I like what we have on the roster, I wanna see Briggs come in and make the active roster, a rotation of Haralson, Brooks and Laboy should be an effective platoon of pass rushers, Briggs could join the party with a strong pre season
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by Snider8706:

Willis is king beast of lockers when niners beast up and down. Takeo leads more than Merriman beasts because. Non issue if merriman comes for the beasts

Thread this start beasting. assing crack tears I got

[ Edited by krizay on Apr 28, 2010 at 07:30:15 ]
I saw we offer a 3rd rounder and Glen Coffee for Merriman and their 4th or 5th rounder.

We already have 2 4th rounders next year so we could easily trade up in the 3rd if we needed too.
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
Originally posted by daragon:
I just don't see this happening. I find it really similar to the Porter ordeal. I think their egos are too big because of where they came from. He wouldn't want to take a role position with us. And I don't see us giving up very much to take him from the Chargers, taking into consideration that we are pretty stacked already at the OLB position. Just sayin. lol

-Dom

Lol, Merriman is far better than any OLB the 49ers have. And lol at you thinking we are stacked at OLB.

When I say stacked, I'm not saying elite talent wise. I know we could get better at the position. I'm just under the impression that we have a lot of bodies there already, and unless a stud became available, we are pretty much set there for the upcoming season. Merriman elite? Not anymore. Slightly better then some guys we have? Sure, but still not worth it.

[ Edited by daragon on Apr 28, 2010 at 08:14:43 ]

Precisely.
Don't see it happening. I believe that management doesn't see our pass rush as an issue and they would likely cite last seasons sack rankings as proof. I know those stats don't tell the entire story but based on the way our front office has been trending I doubt this is an issue at the top of their list.
  • BenQ
  • Veteran
why does everyone want manny gone but keep haralson on the team?
Originally posted by miked1978:
I saw we offer a 3rd rounder and Glen Coffee for Merriman and their 4th or 5th rounder.

We already have 2 4th rounders next year so we could easily trade up in the 3rd if we needed too.

No way they take that after signing Ryan Matthews. We might as well throw Lawson in since he wouldn't have a contributing spot on our roster with Merriman aboard.

I'd offer Lawson, Coffee, and a magical 5th rounder straight up for Merriman.

They get a solid OLB for their rotation, quality depth at rb, and a 4th round pick. Seems about even and a win for both sides... obviously we'd look to extend his deal.

[ Edited by 49oz2superbowl on Apr 28, 2010 at 10:13:12 ]

Source? I haven't seen any concrete indication from either the 49ers or the Chargers on this.

This part is my favorite. I'll give you two players and you tell me which one you'd rather have.

Player #1: 36 Tackles, 4.0 Sacks, 0 FF, 13 QB PR, 15 Stops
Player #2: 68 Tackles, 6.5 Sacks, 3 FF, 19 QB PR, 40 Stops

Statistics from ProFootballFocus.com

I'll let you decipher as to which one is the guy who ranked as the 9th best 3-4 OLB in the NFL, and which one ranked 24th.

Merriman hasn't by any means produced since his suspension for steroid use, unless you're considering 4 sacks production.

I'm not insinuating that Lawson is by any means the answer long term for the 49ers defense. It's my own personal belief that due to his height, Lawson doesn't have enough upper body strength to leverage his speed on the outside against large tackles. I think he's still a tremendous athlete who can play a role this season, much like he did last season when the 49ers finished third in the NFL with 44 sacks.
I'll take him only if the NFL allows him to use steroids.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
I'll take him only if the NFL allows him to use steroids.

Plllllllease Roger, he'll be really exciting to watch... what about only on the weekdays? No weekend injecting, pinky promise.