There are 287 users in the forums

Nate Davis thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
If nate comes in and lights it up, it will still be against 3rd and 4th stringers. We are talking about the rams and lions here.
If Smith throws for 300 yards and 3 TD's next week, will this thread automatically explode?
Originally posted by waiting4number6:
Originally posted by insanemike27:
Let him sit. Smith is our QB going into next year. That's all it is, so get over it.

If he is then McCloughan needs to be fired immediately, if he isn't (which is obviously the obvious choice) then we can finally move on and become a winning football team again.

You are a very funny person!!!!!! Yup, we are going to fire the GM because the third string rookie qb hasn't yet been chosen to start.

NT. Acid for football supporters
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
If Smith throws for 300 yards and 3 TD's next week, will this thread automatically explode?

No, but some of the posters might.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
If nate comes in and lights it up, it will still be against 3rd and 4th stringers. We are talking about the rams and lions here.

If Nate comes in and only performs at roughly the same level as Smith after, as some have pointed out, getting zero reps with the offense all season long, I'd say that says a lot about him, even if it is against the Rams and Lions. You can say his pre-season play was against 3rd and 4th stringers all you want, but again, with the QB competition between Alex and Shaun, he got virtually no reps in practice before going in there. So maybe it wasn't against starters, but do any of you nay sayers out there ever consider...virtually no reps in practice, and Nate still looked better? That means he is either a lot smarter than you all give him credit for, or he can outplay Hill and Smith on raw talent and instinct alone...or maybe a combination of the two.

Maybe he will be a good QB for us, maybe he'll be a great QB for us, maybe he'll never get it and end up getting cut. No one really knows. There are some that have seen him play only in the pre-season, maybe some here that went to camp and saw him there. There may be some here that have seen a couple of his college games on ESPN. And with all of that "vast" knowledge, I find it really remarkable how many people are absolutely certain that Nate Davis is not ready, or is too dumb, or that the game is too fast, or that he will never play for the niners in a real game.

You all can talk about his disability (which here in the zone seems to range from dyslexia to ADHD to being just plain stupid) or whatever bit of information you've read on some blog somewhere as evidence that he won't be able to play well. But the only hard evidence out there, his college play and his pre-season play, shows him to be able to play and play very well.

I'm not going to sit here and say that because he played well in the MAC and played well in the pre-season against defensive players that may or may not have even ended up on a team that he will without a doubt be able to play well in a real game against a "real" defense. That would just be stupid because nobody can know how he would perform, and based on the Shaun and Alex fans refusing to give up on their respective men, you can't even judge after a few years, much less a few games. But to be absolutely certain he WON'T be able to play well...well that is just as stupid...probably more so considering that at every level he has played, he has excelled, disability or not.

I am stunned by the number of people here that are absolutely certain that he can't play in the NFL. Yet I have never met anyone who has seen more of his play than just a highlight reel here or there; or anyone who knows anything about him other than what they read on the 'net, who thinks he can't play well in the NFL. Let's put it this way, Bill Polian spent a lot of time paying attention to Nate Davis. Not just some scouts for the Colts, but Bill Polian himself sitting in the press box on multiple occasions last year watching him play. He knows a thing or two about NFL personnel and I doubt he'd waste that much time on a guy that stood no chance of being able to play in the NFL.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Nate Davis is no where near ready to play.
Originally posted by FL9er:

Nate Davis is officially the 3rd string Quarterback, and needs to stay there.

No, it will still be against 3rd and 4th stringers. We are talking about the rams and lions here.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran

yep and be reminded it was the last place lions.
Originally posted by mrgneissguy:

If Nate comes in and only performs at roughly the same level as Smith after, as some have pointed out, getting zero reps with the offense all season long, I'd say that says a lot about him, even if it is against the Rams and Lions. You can say his pre-season play was against 3rd and 4th stringers all you want, but again, with the QB competition between Alex and Shaun, he got virtually no reps in practice before going in there. So maybe it wasn't against starters, but do any of you nay sayers out there ever consider...virtually no reps in practice, and Nate still looked better? That means he is either a lot smarter than you all give him credit for, or he can outplay Hill and Smith on raw talent and instinct alone...or maybe a combination of the two.

Maybe he will be a good QB for us, maybe he'll be a great QB for us, maybe he'll never get it and end up getting cut. No one really knows. There are some that have seen him play only in the pre-season, maybe some here that went to camp and saw him there. There may be some here that have seen a couple of his college games on ESPN. And with all of that "vast" knowledge, I find it really remarkable how many people are absolutely certain that Nate Davis is not ready, or is too dumb, or that the game is too fast, or that he will never play for the niners in a real game.

You all can talk about his disability (which here in the zone seems to range from dyslexia to ADHD to being just plain stupid) or whatever bit of information you've read on some blog somewhere as evidence that he won't be able to play well. But the only hard evidence out there, his college play and his pre-season play, shows him to be able to play and play very well.

I'm not going to sit here and say that because he played well in the MAC and played well in the pre-season against defensive players that may or may not have even ended up on a team that he will without a doubt be able to play well in a real game against a "real" defense. That would just be stupid because nobody can know how he would perform, and based on the Shaun and Alex fans refusing to give up on their respective men, you can't even judge after a few years, much less a few games. But to be absolutely certain he WON'T be able to play well...well that is just as stupid...probably more so considering that at every level he has played, he has excelled, disability or not.

I am stunned by the number of people here that are absolutely certain that he can't play in the NFL. Yet I have never met anyone who has seen more of his play than just a highlight reel here or there; or anyone who knows anything about him other than what they read on the 'net, who thinks he can't play well in the NFL. Let's put it this way, Bill Polian spent a lot of time paying attention to Nate Davis. Not just some scouts for the Colts, but Bill Polian himself sitting in the press box on multiple occasions last year watching him play. He knows a thing or two about NFL personnel and I doubt he'd waste that much time on a guy that stood no chance of being able to play in the NFL.

No more, Mr gneiss guy

People aren't saying he can't play in the NFL. People are saying he should be developed first. People don't want to see him thrown to the wolves behind a dismal O line.

I cant wait till he gets his chance
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by mrgneissguy:

No more, Mr gneiss guy

People aren't saying he can't play in the NFL. People are saying he should be developed first. People don't want to see him thrown to the wolves behind a dismal O line.

Something to consider. He may have only played against third string players, but he was also playing WITH third string players. Given this, throwing him to the wolves behind a dismal o line maybe the only way to make an adequate comparison as if he is able to make plays that others could not make, then maybe the line was not as dismal as we thought. (Ah, on second hand, scratch that....and replace it with...he made the line better).

That is the exactly what Mike Nolan thought before Diler got hurt, and Shaun Hill had to come in. Hill came in and proved that he was better than Dilfer, eventually becomin the starting quarterback of this team
Nate might make it to second string next year if he has a good camp, you people wanting to play him this years should try holding your breath until he gets in...
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:

That is the exactly what Mike Nolan thought before Diler got hurt, and Shaun Hill had to come in. Hill came in and proved that he was better than Dilfer, eventually becomin the starting quarterback of this team

Shaun Hill had sat on the bench on other teams for 8 years before taking his first NFL snap that was an actual play. Nate Davis is still trying to learn the playbook.
Share 49ersWebzone