There are 70 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Nate Davis thread

Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by D_Niner:

BTW, what are you now, 0-4 on choosing good QB's?

0-4? So you are discrediting me for choosing from OUR options of QB's? So I decided to go with any QB on our roster over Alex Smith. Is that really 0-4?

Now ask me if I would choose a QB not on the 49ers over JTO?

By your conclusion, anyone who has chosen Alex Smith has been even worse at evaluating circumstances.

Personally, I wanted Hill over any of these but at that time, it was JTO or Smith. Hmm, which way should I go? It's a lose lose either way.

No, there were those of us on here who have said for years that our QB of the future is not on the team. We have said things like we need to bring in talent to actually compete for the starting QB job and we need draft so-and-so because we have no future QB star on our team. We know that evaluating a QB is more than looking at a handful of pre-season games. We know that you have to have Knowledge, Skill, and Ability to be successful in the NFL and players on the practice squad are usually lacking one these...
Originally posted by ttime1:
If we finally get a coach who knows how to develop a QB and put him in the best position to succeed and use that QB's abilities, then Nate Davis should be the top priority of this team pending we don't acquire another project QB.

He has everything physically needed by an NFL QB. He succeeded in college as did Alex Smith, so I don't see how he would not be able to succeed in the NFL.

Dude was given a raw deal by Singletary because it appears Raye had a big influence at that time. Then Singletary contradicts himself and backs a QB who knew nothing of the system in Troy Smith. I think if Raye wasn't here to bumble plays, Nate Davis would have been on the roster due to Mike Johnson being high on him.

Quote:
This offseason Davis said that he would return to Indianapolis (he played at Ball State) to work with a trainer who also works out with Colts quarterback Peyton Manning. Davis said he hoped that relationship would mean that he gets to meet Manning. He said he's mostly moving back to his college town to save money during a possible lockout.

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2010/12/nate-davis-i-pl.html#ixzz19cH1XmxV

I'm not sure he has the intellect to be a QB on this level. He certainly has shown us enough to doubt that he can learn an NFL playbook. Dudes got some major hurdles to overcome.

Two words: Arm Band

Guess what the OC says when he calls the play? "Number 25"
Davis looks at his band and reads 25. Hell, give every offensive player a wristband and all Davis needs to say is "Number 25" and each player reads their own. Getting around this issue isn't rocket science.

Once that ball is snapped, kid looks like a complete natural.

He's gotten to the NFL. That doesn't mean a lot but it means something. He also had Jimmy Raye, an OC who even Alex Smith had to call numerous timeouts in 2 years to get the play right.

Then Nate turns left when he should turn right or he throws to the right on a timing route when it should have gone to the left.

Ya know there is a reason he is on the practice squad and hasn't been picked off of it by any team in the NFL. Not even to fill a backup 3rd string spot on a team like the Panthers or even the Cardinals...

To the bold: his play on the field hasn't been disappointing. It's actually been impressive more than anything, so you are assuming he will do this but he has displayed otherwise more often than anything else.

His issue this preseason was that he couldn't get the call right.

And you are taking Singletary's evaluation of him over Mike Johnson?

Davis' learning disability often causes him to mix up basics like left and right - not a good thing in the football world when sets and blocking patterns depend on directions. Link

And, I'm taking the NFL's evaluation of him not Sing's...

Good Link. The story further states:

Jimmy Raye said he believes Davis could challenge Carr for the backup job behind Alex Smith when the time comes.

"His progress has been impeded by the fact we have an additional quarterback, but I think his progress to this point has been OK," Raye said of Davis, the team's fifth-round draft pick in 2009 out of Ball State.

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2010-06-08/49ers-qb-davis-working-hard-learn-playbook#ixzz19cpe5XsL

Remind me, what was the outcome of that competition?

0-4? So you are discrediting me for choosing from OUR options of QB's? So I decided to go with any QB on our roster over Alex Smith. Is that really 0-4?

By your conclusion, anyone who has chosen Alex Smith has been even worse at evaluating circumstances.

Personally, I wanted Hill over any of these but at that time, it was JTO or Smith. Hmm, which way should I go? It's a lose lose either way.

No, there were those of us on here who have said for years that our QB of the future is not on the team. We have said things like we need to bring in talent to actually compete for the starting QB job and we need draft so-and-so because we have no future QB star on our team. We know that evaluating a QB is more than looking at a handful of pre-season games. We know that you have to have Knowledge, Skill, and Ability to be successful in the NFL and players on the practice squad are usually lacking one these...

That was a given to anyone on here, except those who thought Alex would still succeed here.

So, if you were the head coach, you would not make a decision but say the QB is not on the roster? Someone had to start which means a choice had to be made and Alex Smith lost every year there was competition. I would say 4-0 more-so than 0-4.

Kurt Warner was actually CUT and didn't even make a practice sqaud. The leading rusher in the NFL this year was on Houston's practice squad last year. This tends to suggest that having a practice sqaud designation is not the determing factor when it comes to projecting future success.

I believe that Nate has the best pure skills of any QB on the team- this is based upon not only his pre-season performance (with limited practice time), but the numerous acculades that he has been given. A functional organization with both short and long term aspirations to be great would have found a way to mold Nate's natural attributes.

Kurt Warner was actually CUT and didn't even make a practice sqaud. The leading rusher in the NFL this year was on Houston's practice squad last year. This tends to suggest that having a practice sqaud designation is not the determing factor when it comes to projecting future success.

I believe that Nate has the best pure skills of any QB on the team- this is based upon not only his pre-season performance (with limited practice time), but the numerous acculades that he has been given. A functional organization with both short and long term aspirations to be great would have found a way to mold Nate's natural attributes.

I never said that Nate could not develop the required Knowledge, Skill, and/or Ability that he's lacking. This is what Kurt did and why he was successful.

Nate does have some of the required Skills and is Able to play at this level (much like Kurt was when he got cut); but, he lacks Knowledge. Unfortunately his learning disability hinders his progress in gaining the Knowledge he needs. This has now become a test of his mettle, to see what he's made up of. If he can overcome these very difficult obstacles, then, yes he can become a great QB. If not, then...
If we finally get a coach who knows how to develop a QB and put him in the best position to succeed and use that QB's abilities, then Nate Davis should be the top priority of this team pending we don't acquire another project QB.

He has everything physically needed by an NFL QB. He succeeded in college as did Alex Smith, so I don't see how he would not be able to succeed in the NFL.

Dude was given a raw deal by Singletary because it appears Raye had a big influence at that time. Then Singletary contradicts himself and backs a QB who knew nothing of the system in Troy Smith. I think if Raye wasn't here to bumble plays, Nate Davis would have been on the roster due to Mike Johnson being high on him.

Quote:
This offseason Davis said that he would return to Indianapolis (he played at Ball State) to work with a trainer who also works out with Colts quarterback Peyton Manning. Davis said he hoped that relationship would mean that he gets to meet Manning. He said he's mostly moving back to his college town to save money during a possible lockout.

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2010/12/nate-davis-i-pl.html#ixzz19cH1XmxV

I'm not sure he has the intellect to be a QB on this level. He certainly has shown us enough to doubt that he can learn an NFL playbook. Dudes got some major hurdles to overcome.

Davis looks at his band and reads 25. Hell, give every offensive player a wristband and all Davis needs to say is "Number 25" and each player reads their own. Getting around this issue isn't rocket science.

He's gotten to the NFL. That doesn't mean a lot but it means something. He also had Jimmy Raye, an OC who even Alex Smith had to call numerous timeouts in 2 years to get the play right.

Then Nate turns left when he should turn right or he throws to the right on a timing route when it should have gone to the left.

Ya know there is a reason he is on the practice squad and hasn't been picked off of it by any team in the NFL. Not even to fill a backup 3rd string spot on a team like the Panthers or even the Cardinals...

To the bold: his play on the field hasn't been disappointing. It's actually been impressive more than anything, so you are assuming he will do this but he has displayed otherwise more often than anything else.

Davis' learning disability often causes him to mix up basics like left and right - not a good thing in the football world when sets and blocking patterns depend on directions. Link

That was a given to anyone on here, except those who thought Alex would still succeed here.

So, if you were the head coach, you would not make a decision but say the QB is not on the roster? Someone had to start which means a choice had to be made and Alex Smith lost every year there was competition. I would say 4-0 more-so than 0-4.

Some look at a glass and say it's Half full. Others look at it and say it's half empty. Me, I say that I need another beer; so, if I were coach, I'd have said I need another QB. Not some JTO, Dilfer, Carr, or Hill scrub; but a quality developmental QB that will challenge the starter.

So to answer your question, I would much rather have a quality backup QB than a Diva WR or 12 LBs. Make a trade, give away a draft pick or 2 (for the right guy); but, get in a quality backup that will challenge and have a chance to win the starting QB spot...

Some look at a glass and say it's Half full. Others look at it and say it's half empty. Me, I say that I need another beer; so, if I were coach, I'd have said I need another QB. Not some JTO, Dilfer, Carr, or Hill scrub; but a quality developmental QB that will challenge the starter.

So to answer your question, I would much rather have a quality backup QB than a Diva WR or 12 LBs. Make a trade, give away a draft pick or 2 (for the right guy); but, get in a quality backup that will challenge and have a chance to win the starting QB spot...

So would I but when Game 1 begins, a choice must be made on who to start that's on the team. They were all scrubs but some scrubs displayed more than others until the better scrubs were all gone so that the worst scrub can finally be the "real" starter.

Quote:

Jimmy Raye said he believes Davis could challenge Carr for the backup job behind Alex Smith when the time comes.

"His progress has been impeded by the fact we have an additional quarterback, but I think his progress to this point has been OK," Raye said of Davis, the team's fifth-round draft pick in 2009 out of Ball State.

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2010-06-08/49ers-qb-davis-working-hard-learn-playbook#ixzz19cpe5XsL

The blackSmith

Quote:

The blackSmith

LOL exactly...
I would love to see Nate play one more time, even if it ain't gonna happen.

Consider this issue from Mike Johnson's perspective: He is probably auditioning for a future gig. This is his last and best chance to impress a prospective employer that he can really be creative in his play calling. For the first time he won't have Singletary yelling into his earphones. He can do this with Alex since Alex best knows the playbook. If you insert Nate, Johnson really has to dial back the plays, and eliminating much of what he might be able to show.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by excelsior:
I would love to see Nate play one more time, even if it ain't gonna happen.

Consider this issue from Mike Johnson's perspective: He is probably auditioning for a future gig. This is his last and best chance to impress a prospective employer that he can really be creative in his play calling. For the first time he won't have Singletary yelling into his earphones. He can do this with Alex since Alex best knows the playbook. If you insert Nate, Johnson really has to dial back the plays, and eliminating much of what he might be able to show.

I wouldn't mind seeing Nate Davis, but I have read that he hasn't played since Sept.
The 49ers this week locked in five practice-squad players for the 2011 season, but not their most prominent one, Nate Davis. The second-year quarterback who had the best arm on the team and who became a fan favorite over the last two preseasons was not offered a future contract, making him a free agent and thus available to sign with any team beginning next week.

Instead, those signed to future contracts were: wide receivers Kevin Jurovich and Lance Long, running back Xavier Omon, center Nick Howell and kicker Fabrizio Scaccia, who played for the Sacramento Mountain Lions in the United Football League this season.

The 49ers appear to have cut ties with Davis at a time when they have very few options at quarterback. Alex Smith, who started Sunday's finale against Arizona, is an unrestricted free agent and is likely to have several suitors in a free-agent market that will be short on quarterbacks with playing experience.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/01/niners-dont-loc.html

Move this b***h to NFL talk
^

This. Bye bye Davis dreamers.
stupid ass Baalki.

But I guess that's okay. We still have A.Smith, T.Smith and D.Carr.....
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home