There are 119 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Nate Davis thread

Originally posted by DaNiners:
Actually Memphis, the guys right. Had we picked Rodgers we would probably be in the playoffs right now (just like GB will). Statistically, GB has a worse OL and their D is no more consistent. Big difference is at QB (admittedly a better receiving core, but ours is not bad)...Smith is no Rodgers by any measure. It is a stupid, dumb, putrid argument for anyone here to make.

Right now, Smith is better than maybe a third of QB's out there and that is not saying much since most of those QB's (and their QB's) suck. We better hope AS gets a hell of a lot better, or he and Sing will be MIA by midseason and the Davis experiment will officially begin.

No he is not right, you are assuming that Rodgers would have developed like he has even though he wouldn't have had the advantages of being on a better team, with a better mentor, better coaching and continuity. That is the end of that argument, the bottom line is that this team was just plain terrible at the time and had no business drafting any QB before they built the foundation to help him succeed. No one says Smith and Rodgers are the same, just that if you switched their situations the guy with GB would be doing better than the guy here due to the circumstances they would have been through and the situation they are in. It is simple logic, not hard to understand.

By the way, prior to being torched by Big Ben, GB had the #3 defense, where our D is ranked 28th, so your statement about the D's being equal just doesn't make sense. Neither does comparing our wideouts, until Crabs signed we had a washed up #2 as our primary receiver. The most important thing that Rodgers has had however is continuity around him, He has had 7 fewer OC's than Smith, who has had to learn new systems every year. How is a guy supposed to get comfortable with his system when it changes every year? I do not know if Smith will ever be a top tier QB, but he has showed he has the skills to make the throws. You guys trying to say the guy cannot play in the NFL are just plain ridiculous though, he has shown that he can, he just needs to be much more consistent before I am sold on him. I am just getting tired of running the same scenario that has worked so well for the lions for the past decade or two. The revolving door of players/personnel/coaches has to stop or we will forever be in this state of flux that is making even the die hards miserable.
Originally posted by jeepzilla:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Actually Memphis, the guys right. Had we picked Rodgers we would probably be in the playoffs right now (just like GB will). Statistically, GB has a worse OL and their D is no more consistent. Big difference is at QB (admittedly a better receiving core, but ours is not bad)...Smith is no Rodgers by any measure. It is a stupid, dumb, putrid argument for anyone here to make.

Right now, Smith is better than maybe a third of QB's out there and that is not saying much since most of those QB's (and their QB's) suck. We better hope AS gets a hell of a lot better, or he and Sing will be MIA by midseason and the Davis experiment will officially begin.

Your big assumption is that if Rogers had been drafted by us, he'd playing like he is at Green Bay, which is NOT a given.

-9fA

Considering Green Bay has one of the best WR corps in the league, it is definitely NOT a given.

Driver, Jennings, Jones, Nelson, Finley, Lee... that's just a bad ass group of players.

Don't you think a good QB makes a receiver "better"? Just asking.... Kind of like Indy's no name receivers.

Indy is a special case because Peyton is basically an on field coach, and apparently very good at it. It can work both ways, but Indy has some good WRs and Peyton makes them look really good. When Peyton has an offday, the receivers still can make plays.

When Alex has an offday, his receivers don't pick up the slack, as evidenced by VD's lack of effort on that first INT and Walker's fumble. Those two wins against AZ and CHI, the D made up for smith's bad day, not his receivers. Plus, Indys OL is very, very good.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by jeepzilla:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

Your big assumption is that if Rogers had been drafted by us, he'd playing like he is at Green Bay, which is NOT a given.

-9fA

Considering Green Bay has one of the best WR corps in the league, it is definitely NOT a given.

Driver, Jennings, Jones, Nelson, Finley, Lee... that's just a bad ass group of players.

Don't you think a good QB makes a receiver "better"? Just asking.... Kind of like Indy's no name receivers.

Indy is a special case because Peyton is basically an on field coach, and apparently very good at it. It can work both ways, but Indy has some good WRs and Peyton makes them look really good. When Peyton has an offday, the receivers still can make plays.

When Alex has an offday, his receivers don't pick up the slack, as evidenced by VD's lack of effort on that first INT and Walker's fumble. Those two wins against AZ and CHI, the D made up for smith's bad day, not his receivers. Plus, Indys OL is very, very good.

Agreed, Peyton is in a league by himself. There is nobody in the past that you can compare him to and I don't think that there will be anybody like him in the future. He just understands the game an equivalent "OC" level. It's what makes him so great and it's what distinguishes him from the other QBs of the league.

-9fA
I thought this was a Nate thread? Very disappointed Sing is not even interested to give the kid a few series to see what he's been able to pick up after nearly a season's worth of observation. Wouldn't that help in determining if we need to draft a QB somewhere, if nothing else?
Originally posted by waiting4number6:
Originally posted by insanemike27:
Let him sit. Smith is our QB going into next year. That's all it is, so get over it.

If he is then McCloughan needs to be fired immediately, if he isn't (which is obviously the obvious choice) then we can finally move on and become a winning football team again.

you really believe an essentially rookie QB, Nate Davis, will win more games than he loses? You really believe that the QB is the only problem with the team? because that is what you're implying by saying a QB change will lead to a winning team.

Some fans are so delusional and they don't seem to observe the rest of the league. Nate Davis will not provide the immediate success many of you are hoping for. Just because you see a Ben Rothlisberger come in and play well (on a very good team) and a Matt Ryan, doesnt mean that this is the norm. These men are the exception and so many people have been clamoring for the backup ever since Garcia left thinking this person can take a bad team, lacking talent and take it to the playoffs. It just doesnt happen as often as you think.

The team finally has some talent through free agency and the draft because of what McCloughan has done. Yea, he's missed on some players and some players have turned out to be gems. Thats just the way the draft works.

This team was so devoid of talent, it was going to take several years to get it back up to even contention. Because of the weak NFC West, so many people are falsely believing that this team should be in the playoffs. And once this team got in the playoffs, the wouldn't win. They're just not ready yet.

I know that if we selected the right QB in the darn first place we would of made the Playoffs the last 2 years. And we'd be a lot farther along. Our D is good, our O for the most part is good. The biggest problem on this team is we don't have a good quarterback.[/quote]

Biggest problems (plural) are O-Line and Team Speed. Pass rush can be thrown in for it's lack of consistency.

And selecting the right QB is really easy too. I mean, thats why there are just so many Pro Bowlers and HOFers out there. The just come into the league ready to set the world on fire like Dan Marino and John Elway and Peyton Manning, and Steve Yong. Oh wait, steve didnt't come in and light it up. Oh, neither did Brady. And neither did Aikman.

Man, QB development has nothing to do with how well a QB does.

We have other problems, but the biggest one is the QB, I mean lack there of. And guess what we had our shot at A-Rod a heck of a QB that he is, and we choked.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Let him sit. Smith is our QB going into next year. That's all it is, so get over it.

If he is then McCloughan needs to be fired immediately, if he isn't (which is obviously the obvious choice) then we can finally move on and become a winning football team again.

you really believe an essentially rookie QB, Nate Davis, will win more games than he loses? You really believe that the QB is the only problem with the team? because that is what you're implying by saying a QB change will lead to a winning team.

Some fans are so delusional and they don't seem to observe the rest of the league. Nate Davis will not provide the immediate success many of you are hoping for. Just because you see a Ben Rothlisberger come in and play well (on a very good team) and a Matt Ryan, doesnt mean that this is the norm. These men are the exception and so many people have been clamoring for the backup ever since Garcia left thinking this person can take a bad team, lacking talent and take it to the playoffs. It just doesnt happen as often as you think.

The team finally has some talent through free agency and the draft because of what McCloughan has done. Yea, he's missed on some players and some players have turned out to be gems. Thats just the way the draft works.

This team was so devoid of talent, it was going to take several years to get it back up to even contention. Because of the weak NFC West, so many people are falsely believing that this team should be in the playoffs. And once this team got in the playoffs, the wouldn't win. They're just not ready yet.

I know that if we selected the right QB in the darn first place we would of made the Playoffs the last 2 years. And we'd be a lot farther along. Our D is good, our O for the most part is good. The biggest problem on this team is we don't have a good quarterback.

You know nothing, you only think you do...big mistake to try to pass your opinion as fact on this site.

I know nothing, I'm just stating fact, our QB is holding us back, hell if we had one we would of blown out Arizona on MNF and blown out Chi-Town on NFL Network, why are we arguing about this, the guy is a chump. As a Niner fan I'm ashamed he's our QB and was selected so high, I mean jeez Title, Brodie, Joe Cool, Young, Garcia, and now this chump... Seriously? We can do better, screw that we have to, but that being said about our QB history, I'll take a decent QB even ie a soon to be FA in Jason Campbell at this point.
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
I thought this was a Nate thread? Very disappointed Sing is not even interested to give the kid a few series to see what he's been able to pick up after nearly a season's worth of observation. Wouldn't that help in determining if we need to draft a QB somewhere, if nothing else?

I was reading the last couple of pages and I thought i was in the wrong thread myself. I would like to se Nate sit back and learn and hopefully play sometime next year. That way we don't have to make the same apologies like Mr. Smith

I know that if we selected the right QB in the darn first place we would of made the Playoffs the last 2 years. And we'd be a lot farther along. Our D is good, our O for the most part is good. The biggest problem on this team is we don't have a good quarterback.

You know nothing, you only think you do...big mistake to try to pass your opinion as fact on this site.

I know nothing, I'm just stating fact, our QB is holding us back, hell if we had one we would of blown out Arizona on MNF and blown out Chi-Town on NFL Network, why are we arguing about this, the guy is a chump. As a Niner fan I'm ashamed he's our QB and was selected so high, I mean jeez Title, Brodie, Joe Cool, Young, Garcia, and now this chump... Seriously? We can do better, screw that we have to, but that being said about our QB history, I'll take a decent QB even ie a soon to be FA in Jason Campbell at this point.

There you go again, trying to pass your opinion off as fact...until you learn the difference, there isn't much to talk about. You know no one will take anything you say seriously when you do this, it makes any relevant points you might be able to make moot.

There you go again, trying to pass your opinion off as fact...until you learn the difference, there isn't much to talk about. You know no one will take anything you say seriously when you do this, it makes any relevant points you might be able to make moot.

Shaun Hill has a better record as a starter than this guy your unsuccessfully defend. Your defending Scoty Mac for making one of the worst mistakes in franchise history, your defending the guy who is holding our offense for ransom. If 2+2=4. Then the answer is 4, not 5 or up for some biased debate that doesn't make any logical sense. If we go into 2010 with Alex Smith, our offense will be continued to be chained down. If we admit our horrendous mistake, our offense can grow and we can take the next step we need to into become the San Francisco 49ers once again.

LOL, you defend this scrub tooth and nail...Hillarious.

Nate Davis has better field presence, better arm strength, better accuracy, better poise, and he has better pocket awareness. It was apparent in preseason. Sure he needs some snaps but he i s a better pocket passer than Alex Smith, right now. He just needs to adjust to the game speed.

First of all, Aaron Rodgers is playing better than Alex Smith - let's get that out of the way.

Rodgers has a HUGE advantage in the receiving corp. Driver, Jennings, Jones, Lee, Finley are ALL better receivers than ANY 49ers. Not even Vernon Davis could start in Green Bay. Crabtree is the only wideout that could even make the roster there. Davis would be the #2 tight end, rotating with Lee. (Finley is the best receiving TE) Having veteran receivers that polished their routes while playing with Brett Favre while Rodgers watched is an enormous advantage to Rodgers.

As to NFL QBs; only about 12 teams in the league right now can honestly say they are set at QB. The rest have guys like David Garrard, Matt Cassel, Kyle Orton, Jay Cutler, Jason Campbell and Charlie Frye. If we want to get a better perspective on the position, compare those guys to Smith. Forget that McNolan made Smith the #1 overall. If Rodgers would have been the pick I seriously doubt that he would be anywhere close to the player he is now.

Shaun Hill has a better record as a starter than this guy your unsuccessfully defend. Your defending Scoty Mac for making one of the worst mistakes in franchise history, your defending the guy who is holding our offense for ransom. If 2+2=4. Then the answer is 4, not 5 or up for some biased debate that doesn't make any logical sense. If we go into 2010 with Alex Smith, our offense will be continued to be chained down. If we admit our horrendous mistake, our offense can grow and we can take the next step we need to into become the San Francisco 49ers once again.

but there is no one out there that would come in and do better. Why do people not get this? we can't draft a QB thats going to come in a do better. Nate Davis isn't ready yet.

And a trade would only make sense if we are only a QB away from being a SB contender, which this team isnt. The OL still has issues, there is a lack of speed in the secondary, and the pass rush is inconsistent.

If smith can perform how he has over the last 8 games next year, we'd be fine, especially if the talent on the rest of the team improves.
I do think Nate will be the starter in '11. He is a more natural QB that smith but we still have that one year gap (next year) that we need to bridge and Smith will be that bridge.

Using our draft picks on positions other than QB will greatly help improve the talent level of this team and when Nate does come in, he will have come in to a vastly improved and talented team compared to Smith. The receivers will be more polished, the OL should (hopefully) be better and Nate Davis will look like a stud.

It's unfortunate for Smith, but Nate will benefit from it. And besides, next year is a contract year for smith. He'll probably play lights out.

but there is no one out there that would come in and do better. Why do people not get this? we can't draft a QB thats going to come in a do better. Nate Davis isn't ready yet.

And a trade would only make sense if we are only a QB away from being a SB contender, which this team isnt. The OL still has issues, there is a lack of speed in the secondary, and the pass rush is inconsistent.

If smith can perform how he has over the last 8 games next year, we'd be fine, especially if the talent on the rest of the team improves.

He performed like he always does. More losses than wins (3-5). 16 TD's and 12 interceptions and 2 fumbles...one lost. He fares miserably in crunch time against good teams. Let's not forget he has been sacked 18 times in half a season because he doesn't know how to utilize an o-line or an NFL pocket. Yah, that's who the 49ers should start in 2010

Huh? Marc freaking Bulger would do better. Jason Campbell who is a FA next year would do much better. Colt McCoy just because he could get 40 rushing yards a game could do as good and probably better. Great thing about that uncapped year next year get Campbell or some decent QB to step in, draft a guy like Colt so he can mature as he holds a clipboard. Our O-line pass blocking wize isn't horrible it's decent enough to get the job done, but mos def can get better, the real problem with the O-line is the consistency with the run blocking. We have multiple problems, but problem #1 is the QB, we don't have a good one. Our secondary is good enough to shut down Larry Fitzgerald, like what every single time we play him, least since Nate got here anyway. And if we draft well enough next year, or some one slips through the cracks in FA we can fix that pass rush problem since we get enough of those other guy sacks, ie the 5+ sack department, like Man-Law and Parys or even Brooks, we just need our own Suggs or Orakpo, etc. Problem 1 get a new signal caller.