LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 234 users in the forums

Jay Cutler Is An Effing BUM!!!

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Cutler/Martz haters are looking pretty stupid right about now.

Considering the Bears success is tied to their defense/STs, no. I'm not a hater or Smartz or Cutlol, either.
Cutler is a gunslinger. He struggled early on becuase that oline was the worst in the league. Give him a little time to throw and he will do good.

Cutler reminds me of Brett Favre a little.
Originally posted by FL9er:
Cutler/Martz haters are looking pretty stupid right about now.

Considering the Bears success is tied to their defense/STs, no. I'm not a hater or Smartz or Cutlol, either.

With a good system, his play has improved dramatically, and because of that they are winning. With good play design, there is always an outlet for the QB to go to when there is pressure or when most are covered. Look at what Flynn did vs. New England, McCArthy's system is extremely QB friendly. QB friendly system + solid defense = wins.
I'm confused as to how what Mike Martz is doing in Chicago has anything to do with his time in San Francisco. The situations aren't even comparable.

Martz flamed out here because he thought he could make JT O'Sullivan the second coming of Kurt Warner, totally ignored Vernon Davis in the passing game, and because his play calling was at best, shaky (remember the 7 yard routes on 3rd and short? I do.) His offense requires a very good o-line, which we didn't have at that time, and a QB that's accurate on the long balls (which we also didn't have). So instead of him adjusting accordingly, he forced it leading to more INT's and hits on the QB.

Not to mention that statistically speaking, we scored more points under Jimmy Raye than we did with Martz (by an almost negligible margin, but still).

He's doing better in Chicago because he has a better o-line and a MUCH better QB, period. I don't see how anyone can make the assumption that if he stayed here another year the result would have been the same.

Especially since there's been pretty much no improvement to our QB situation.
Originally posted by baltien:
I'm confused as to how what Mike Martz is doing in Chicago has anything to do with his time in San Francisco. The situations aren't even comparable.

Martz flamed out here because he thought he could make JT O'Sullivan the second coming of Kurt Warner, totally ignored Vernon Davis in the passing game, and because his play calling was at best, shaky (remember the 7 yard routes on 3rd and short? I do.) His offense requires a very good o-line, which we didn't have at that time, and a QB that's accurate on the long balls (which we also didn't have). So instead of him adjusting accordingly, he forced it leading to more INT's and hits on the QB.

Not to mention that statistically speaking, we scored more points under Jimmy Raye than we did with Martz (by an almost negligible margin, but still).

He's doing better in Chicago because he has a better o-line and a MUCH better QB, period. I don't see how anyone can make the assumption that if he stayed here another year the result would have been the same.

This Offense looked the best it has in years when Shaun Hill was QB under Martz, you need to re-evaluate.
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Originally posted by baltien:

This Offense looked the best it has in years when Shaun Hill was QB under Martz, you need to re-evaluate.

I disagree. And I think my point is better served when you look at the stats. In 2008 (under Martz), the 49ers finished 23rd in total yards and 22nd in PPG. In 2009 (under Raye), they finished 27th in total yards, but 18th in points scored.

So while that may qualify in your book as "the best it has in years" to me it says that Martz effect on our offense is being grossly exaggerated.
It's always back and forth you guys are funny as hell. When he does bad you guys tease him all day when he does good other guys tease you guys.
Who did I want to be our HC? Mike Martz
Who did I want to be our QB? Jay Cutler
LOL, funny how this thread wasn't bumped last week when they actually played a real team.

-9fA
[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Dec 21, 2010 at 2:21 PM ]
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
LOL, funny how this thread wasn't bumped last week when they actually played a real team.

-9fA

They just won their division; you don't think that's bump-worthy?

-9fA

Plus it's kinda fun making fun of people

-9fA

Hey, I don't want to take anything away from the Bears. I give them all the credit in the world for taking the division. I just think the Cutler and Martz love here is slightly overrated. I recall reading an article strongly proposing that it was actually Lovie Smith's influence on Martz during the bye week that led to Martz altering his playcalling (sound familiar?).

-9fA
[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Dec 21, 2010 at 3:08 PM ]

-9fA

Hey, I don't want to take anything away from the Bears. I give them all the credit in the world for taking the division. I just think the Cutler and Martz love here is slightly overrated. I recall reading an article strongly proposing that it was actually Lovie Smith's influence on Martz during the bye week that led to Martz altering his playcalling (sound familiar?).

-9fA

I can buy that. However, both Martz and Cutler have been given their fair share of ridicule over the last few years, so they have to be feeling pretty damn good about themselves right now. To make the kinds of adjustments they've needed to make so quickly, and to do so successfully, it's impressive.

-9fA

-9fA

I can buy that. However, both Martz and Cutler have been given their fair share of ridicule over the last few years, so they have to be feeling pretty damn good about themselves right now. To make the kinds of adjustments they've needed to make so quickly, and to do so successfully, it's impressive.

Definitely. I think Martz can succeed as a coordinator as long as he has a strong-willed counterpart who can keep him in check. I also think that due to the complexity of his offense, it will take more than a season for his offense to be truly clicking on all cylinders.

In now way would I want him as a HC though.

-9fA

-9fA

-9fA

Definitely. I think Martz can succeed as a coordinator as long as he has a strong-willed counterpart who can keep him in check. I also think that due to the complexity of his offense, it will take more than a season for his offense to be truly clicking on all cylinders.

In now way would I want him as a HC though.

-9fA

I wouldn't strongly disagree with this....however, there's something to be said for his ability to "will" an offense into improving. Not only that, he's a teacher of men, a stickler for details and a hard-nosed SOB, along the lines of a Bill Walsh and Vince Lombardi. I think if you paired him with an equally strong-willed GM and an extremely capable defensive coordinator, he could be a force as a head coach.

That said, he seems to have this inability to control his self-sabotaging tendancies...so he's probably more trouble than he's worth.
Share 49ersWebzone