LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 216 users in the forums

OK, having a loony bin moment...talk me out of it...Shawne Merriman?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 49ersince86:
For the type of compensation the Chargers would want for him I don't see it as a smart move. He is comming off a major injury, has only 8 tackles in 4 games this year with no sacks. Not to mention he is a free agent next year.

Ya see..there....thats what you have to do to talk me out of it.
The guy was strong/fast as hell his first year because he was pumped up on roids. Hence, the crazy behavior and melt-downs. He got busted and can't play worth a damn now without them. My advice for Merriman, take your clear and go play baseball.
Originally posted by Reckless:
Yes very true. I think if you have a chance to get someone like Merriman you can help other positions on the team.

If Lewis is out for a long period of time, adding a pass rusher like Merriman will take pressure off the secondary and really have the oppostion not want to take 7 step drops, etc..

ya it may help it may not! if we're in such need for a olb who has proven himself after injury... why didn't we go after greg ellis? Merriman IMO is no longer the player he was and will never get back to that caliber of play!
  • Luca
  • Veteran
I think if we ended up with Merriman that our other outside LB's would have better numbers.
I live in San Diego...Merriman hasnt been the same since he got off the juice...PASS
Originally posted by m04607:
I live in San Diego...Merriman hasnt been the same since he got off the juice...PASS
I wouldn't mind having Merriman (juiced up). But the Merriman (post-juice) is not that great.
I'd consider the trade for a third rounder but Smith is going to ask for something rediculous.
Originally posted by bigmike55:
I wouldn't mind having Merriman (juiced up). But the Merriman (post-juice) is not that great.

Well, you could be right, but the only thing I would say to that is that he still had 12.5 sacks the year AFTER he was busted, and he hasn't been healthy since.

Maybe not for a 1st, but I still think he's better than Haralson.

I mean...seriously...the guy is only 25!

[ Edited by Marvin49 on Oct 14, 2009 at 11:34:33 ]

• GEEK
  • Veteran
I'd acquire Merriman for a mid-round pick, but nothing more.

Merriman, Haralson, and Lawson would be a good rotational trio for our "pass rush"
Originally posted by bigmike55:

good point....
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Why do you think he might be on the block by a team that many thought would be a SB contender? Its because he has yet to prove he isn't what he was before the injury and the steroids issue. On top of that, he brings a lot of distractions with him. At this point you have no evidence to suggest that he will ever return to being the same player he was prior to the injury.

Better to wait and see if he starts to show his old form before the year is over and see what SD does with him at the end of the year. They may just let him go if he does not improve drastically but still wants a big new contract.
Originally posted by kem99:
Why do you think he might be on the block by a team that many thought would be a SB contender? Its because he has yet to prove he isn't what he was before the injury and the steroids issue. On top of that, he brings a lot of distractions with him. At this point you have no evidence to suggest that he will ever return to being the same player he was prior to the injury.

Better to wait and see if he starts to show his old form before the year is over and see what SD does with him at the end of the year. They may just let him go if he does not improve drastically but still wants a big new contract.

Exactly...

Gone are the days when you can binge and bring in some big name free agents and be a perennial playoff contender. You have to fit players into your system A la Patriots. It's great to have a few leaders but no team can afford to do this anymore. I like the direction of the team. I think this is finally being done right for this era of NFL.
Share 49ersWebzone