There are 144 users in the forums

OK, having a loony bin moment...talk me out of it...Shawne Merriman?

Shop 49ers game tickets
No thanks, I'd rather not have cheaters on this team.
Originally posted by a24hrdad:
Gone are the days when you can binge and bring in some big name free agents and be a perennial playoff contender. You have to fit players into your system A la Patriots. It's great to have a few leaders but no team can afford to do this anymore. I like the direction of the team. I think this is finally being done right for this era of NFL.

I get your point, but if you read my initial post you would know that Merriman fits this team. He would be running the exact same defense they run in SD and he already knows the 49ers DC because he was Merrimans LB coach in SD.

My point here was not to find some random big name and ask if the niners should sign him. My point was that Merriman WOULD fit the Niners and it seems at least on the surface to make sense.

Now if you think he's past him prime or that he just isn't the same guy post-roids, that great, but saying the days of getting a big name player are over...thats just BS.
Originally posted by King49er:
No thanks, I'd rather not have cheaters on this team.

lol. Fair enough.
Hey Shawne, The A-Team called... Mr. T wants his hairstyle back.

LOL

Originally posted by m04607:
Originally posted by kem99:
Why do you think he might be on the block by a team that many thought would be a SB contender? Its because he has yet to prove he isn't what he was before the injury and the steroids issue. On top of that, he brings a lot of distractions with him. At this point you have no evidence to suggest that he will ever return to being the same player he was prior to the injury.

Better to wait and see if he starts to show his old form before the year is over and see what SD does with him at the end of the year. They may just let him go if he does not improve drastically but still wants a big new contract.

Exactly...

Not true at all. I live in San Diego and the reason Shawne wants out has more to do with management. The GM called the team "soft" and Merriman took exception to that comment and is THE leader of the defense. He's been sitting out games d/t a severe GROIN pull, not a knee problem. That said, like with Lawson, he'll be 100% next season and have MUCH to prove given all the performance-enhancing talk and issues with SD and their management. I'd also think he'd excel with Singletary as a coach too. His passion alone would do WONDERS for our defense alone. A mid-level draft pick would more then pay off for itself, late this year and esp. next year under a defensive coordinator who is more then familiar with him. In fact, Manusky may be more inclined to move to a more SD-style defense.

Lawson is the player that is the weakest link at OLB right now even compared to Haralson. And with Brooks starting to emerge and Manny going back to his old ways of over-running plays (Manusky chewing him out) and STILL not possessing any semblence of a pass rush what so ever, imagine how scary a lineup of Brooks - Spikes - Willis - Merriman as starters and Haralson coming in off the bench and Lawson playing in our dime packages when we need a cover LB.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by m04607:
Originally posted by kem99:
Why do you think he might be on the block by a team that many thought would be a SB contender? Its because he has yet to prove he isn't what he was before the injury and the steroids issue. On top of that, he brings a lot of distractions with him. At this point you have no evidence to suggest that he will ever return to being the same player he was prior to the injury.

Better to wait and see if he starts to show his old form before the year is over and see what SD does with him at the end of the year. They may just let him go if he does not improve drastically but still wants a big new contract.

Exactly...

Not true at all. I live in San Diego and the reason Shawne wants out has more to do with management. The GM called the team "soft" and Merriman took exception to that comment and is THE leader of the defense. He's been sitting out games d/t a severe GROIN pull, not a knee problem. That said, like with Lawson, he'll be 100% next season and have MUCH to prove given all the performance-enhancing talk and issues with SD and their management. I'd also think he'd excel with Singletary as a coach too. His passion alone would do WONDERS for our defense alone. A mid-level draft pick would more then pay off for itself, late this year and esp. next year under a defensive coordinator who is more then familiar with him. In fact, Manusky may be more inclined to move to a more SD-style defense.

Lawson is the player that is the weakest link at OLB right now even compared to Haralson. And with Brooks starting to emerge and Manny going back to his old ways of over-running plays (Manusky chewing him out) and STILL not possessing any semblence of a pass rush what so ever, imagine how scary a lineup of Brooks - Spikes - Willis - Merriman as starters and Haralson coming in off the bench and Lawson playing in our dime packages when we need a cover LB.

I disagree with you on Lawson. Everyone slams Lawson because he isn't a great pass-rusher (and he's not), but he was a big part of the reason the niners were playing so well prior to the Atlanta game. He plays fast, he hits hard, and he usually doesn't get fooled. He also caused a fumble that should have put the Niners in position to take the lead vs. the Falcons.

Haralson on the other hand had a good season opener, but has kinda disappeared since then.

Brooks really hasn't done anything since joining the 49ers.

[ Edited by Marvin49 on Oct 14, 2009 at 12:12:02 ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by alanbeez22:
So, I'm watching NFL Total Access last night and I see that Shawne Merriman might be on the trade block.

I usually find it annoying when a guy is thought to be avaialable and somebody on the zone automatically says "hey, can we use this guy?". I NEVER thought that guy would be me.

Hear me out for a sec tho...

1) One of the 49ers biggest needs is for a dominant Pass Rusher. Merriman is still recovering from knee surgury, but moving forward he could regain his form (obviously the trade would be contingent on siging him to a long term contract).

2) Greg Manusky was the LB coach in San Diego when Wade Phillips was the DC. Manusky knows Merriman and runs the same D that SD runs.

3) The Niners have a history of ALMOST pulling off trades for players in the last year of their deals just prior to the trade deadline. They almost made a move for Lance Briggs and they almost made a move for Nate Clements (whom they ended up signing anyway in the offseason).

4) The Niners have 2 first rounders. When I heard McGloughan interviewed on KNBR after the Crabtree signing he said the 49ers have 2 first rounders "right now". At the time I thought it was odd that he phrased it that way and I thought maybe he was expecting something from the tampering case...but maybe he is anticipating a trade.

5) Merriman is also friends with Vernon Davis...they both played at Maryland.

6) A LB core of Merriman, Willis, Spikes, Lawson may be the best in the NFL.

Now...I know this may be out there (queue all naysayers and people calling to lock this thread), but doesn't this just kinda seem to make some sense?

I know there will be some who say that SD would never trade him, but he's in the last year of his deal and they don't want to give him a big $$$ contract. Some will say he's washed up and not worth it, but the guy is still in his 20's and still recovering from an injury.

If this WERE to happen, it would be stragely similar to the trade the Niners made for Fred Dean back in the day.

I know...crazy talk....please talk me out of this. ;-)

we have other needs! ahmad brooks is finally stepping up! the front line and linebackers are playing excellent before the atlanta game! plus we have other NEEDS of improvement!

Of course we have other needs, but you don't get to choose whats available.

IMO the 49ers biggest needs are RT, OG, and Pass Rushing OLB. I don't see many RT or OG available.

QB is easily a bigger need then ANY of those positions, if only because of how hard it is to get that franchise guy. I don't think THAT guy is on our roster, and until he is, he is #1 priority imo. You don't win year in and year out with game managers behind center.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by alanbeez22:
So, I'm watching NFL Total Access last night and I see that Shawne Merriman might be on the trade block.

I usually find it annoying when a guy is thought to be avaialable and somebody on the zone automatically says "hey, can we use this guy?". I NEVER thought that guy would be me.

Hear me out for a sec tho...

1) One of the 49ers biggest needs is for a dominant Pass Rusher. Merriman is still recovering from knee surgury, but moving forward he could regain his form (obviously the trade would be contingent on siging him to a long term contract).

2) Greg Manusky was the LB coach in San Diego when Wade Phillips was the DC. Manusky knows Merriman and runs the same D that SD runs.

3) The Niners have a history of ALMOST pulling off trades for players in the last year of their deals just prior to the trade deadline. They almost made a move for Lance Briggs and they almost made a move for Nate Clements (whom they ended up signing anyway in the offseason).

4) The Niners have 2 first rounders. When I heard McGloughan interviewed on KNBR after the Crabtree signing he said the 49ers have 2 first rounders "right now". At the time I thought it was odd that he phrased it that way and I thought maybe he was expecting something from the tampering case...but maybe he is anticipating a trade.

5) Merriman is also friends with Vernon Davis...they both played at Maryland.

6) A LB core of Merriman, Willis, Spikes, Lawson may be the best in the NFL.

Now...I know this may be out there (queue all naysayers and people calling to lock this thread), but doesn't this just kinda seem to make some sense?

I know there will be some who say that SD would never trade him, but he's in the last year of his deal and they don't want to give him a big $$$ contract. Some will say he's washed up and not worth it, but the guy is still in his 20's and still recovering from an injury.

If this WERE to happen, it would be stragely similar to the trade the Niners made for Fred Dean back in the day.

I know...crazy talk....please talk me out of this. ;-)

we have other needs! ahmad brooks is finally stepping up! the front line and linebackers are playing excellent before the atlanta game! plus we have other NEEDS of improvement!

Of course we have other needs, but you don't get to choose whats available.

IMO the 49ers biggest needs are RT, OG, and Pass Rushing OLB. I don't see many RT or OG available.

QB is easily a bigger need then ANY of those positions, if only because of how hard it is to get that franchise guy. I don't think THAT guy is on our roster, and until he is, he is #1 priority imo. You don't win year in and year out with game managers behind center.

I think that guy IS on the roster, and his name is Nate Davis. I don't see the Niners using one of those 1st rounders on a QB until they know what they have in Davis.

I think (barring a trade) those 2 puicks are marked for an O-Linemen and a Pass Rusher.
I'd give up a 3rd or 4th for him.
Originally posted by kronik:
I'd give up a 3rd or 4th for him.

With the beef with the owner, lack of production, and problems in SD we could get Merriman for a 4th or 5th rounder. The risk/reward is there. Why not trade for him?

I disagree with you on Lawson. Everyone slams Lawson because he isn't a great pass-rusher (and he's not), but he was a big part of the reason the niners were playing so well prior to the Atlanta game. He plays fast, he hits hard, and he usually doesn't get fooled. He also caused a fumble that should have put the Niners in position to take the lead vs. the Falcons.

Haralson on the other hand had a good season opener, but has kinda disappeared since then.

Brooks really hasn't done anything since joining the 49ers.

No worries if you disagree. But Haralson is ranked as #2 OLB right now b/c he's 2nd against the run and has about 2-3 times as many QB presures/hits as Lawson (both have been used sparingly in coverage). Lawson is ranked 36th out of 48 OLB's in the league right now.

If we were playing a 4-3, I'd have no problems with Lawson's game but we run a 3-4 and NEED a pass rusher, ideally two if we ever want to take the next step. 1.5 sacks between these two is not cutting it no matter how we try to justify it esp. compared to the rest of the OLB's in the 3-4 in the league.

I think our standards have dropped significantly. I'm not saying Lawson doesn't have game...he just doesn't have the game we need to run a proper 3-4.

"I pity da foo who trades for me! (because I'm off the 'roids and therefore am no longer as effective as when I was on them)"

• flow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by popalpo:
We have Parys Haralson. Who has been improving every year. He has a better attitude. Merriman hasn't been the same after the steroids and knee issues. Plus his attitude is iffy as well.

He was a dominant pass-rusher before the steroids and knee problem. Now he is a question mark.

Our issue on this team is not our defense. Our #1 issue is our Oline. I would much rather trade a #1 pick for an Olineman. Like Eagles did for Peters.

This.
Maybe a late rounder moving up to a 3rd if he performs (8 sacks in 11 games) and signs a long term deal with us.
merriman+steroids= nut case= great football player

merriman+no steroids= injurys, only a 3rd down rusher, no longer even looked at as a premier player!

merriman+ 49ers= waste of time and money for the 49ers!
Share 49ersWebzone